PDA

View Full Version : Trivial but satisfying project

Steve Mathews
03-18-2020, 1:45 PM
I just finished making new handles for the slick and chisel shown below. I believe the larger 3" wide slick is made by Greenlee and the chisel by Therby based on the lettering that remains. The original handles or as I received them are shown along with the new ones for comparison. The backs still have to be flattened and the cutting edge sharpened. As mentioned in the title the project is trivial but ended up being a very satisfying. I used an old baseball bat to turn the slick handle. The wood for the chisel was just something found in my scrap pile. I look forward learning how to use both tools.

Dave Anderson NH
03-18-2020, 3:10 PM
Steve the chisel you identify as by "Therby" is most likely a Witherby, one of the better old time brands.

Steve Mathews
03-18-2020, 4:46 PM
Steve the chisel you identify as by "Therby" is most likely a Witherby, one of the better old time brands.

Thanks Dave! Below Witherby is shown WINSTEAD, CONN USA, which after further online research confirms what you mentioned. I acquired a drawknife from the same source that is clearly marked Witherby. The slick is interesting to me in that it appears forged.

Jim Koepke
03-19-2020, 2:07 AM
Nice work on the handles. That is one of my favorite things about socket chisels is the ease of making new handles.

jtk