PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Lumber - Bloodwood?

Joe Pratt
03-16-2020, 9:14 AM
A few years back I was gifted a log (stump) that was found on the side of the road in the Florida Keys after hurricane Irma. Judging by the rot, I believe this was a dead standing tree that the hurricane brought down.

After sitting in the garage for a few years, I decided to chop it up and start working with it. Surprisingly, the first slab showed an incredibly vibrant heartwood under the rather mundane sapwood.

What do you guys think? Is it possible this is bloodwood?

Jim Becker
03-16-2020, 9:31 AM
That's called "pretty wood"... :) And it really is beautiful. I can't help with the identification, however.

Joe Pratt
03-16-2020, 9:56 AM
That's called "pretty wood"... :) And it really is beautiful. I can't help with the identification, however.

Haha, thanks Jim! It does look pretty cool.

Jim Becker
03-16-2020, 10:10 AM
You're using it to good effect with that clock face, too.

Mark Daily
03-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Bloodwood comes from Latin America- any chance somebody hauled it up from there?:)

Joe Pratt
03-16-2020, 1:32 PM
Bloodwood comes from Latin America- any chance somebody hauled it up from there?:)

I don't think anyone would have hauled it up, but typically anything that grows in the Caribbean will grow in the Keys.

Mike Henderson
03-16-2020, 2:46 PM
In furniture, bloodwood stays red with age. I don't know what it would do if left out in the elements.

Mike