PDA

View Full Version : Party alert!

Frank Chaffee
12-23-2005, 4:06 PM
We will have an extra second inserted into the atomic clocks of the world this year!

As atomic clocks keep time very accurately and the rotation of the earth has been slowing of late, at one second before midnight GMT on the 31st of December 2005, an extra second will need to be inserted into the year.

The obvious ramification of this is that all New Years parties can begin one second earlier.

To take advantage of this occasional offering on the east coast for example, where the additional second will happen at 6:59:59 PM, you need only show up at your New Years party one second early and feign ignorance of the time change when the hosts appear miffed. I mean really, how many of us carry atomic clocks?

Tell your friends.

I remind you to drink (or do whatever you do to celebrate) responsibly.

Happy Old Year!

Frank

Confirms what I have suspected for some time… the earth is devolving.

Vaughn McMillan
12-23-2005, 5:55 PM
Party, schmarty. I plan to sleep in, to take full advantage of the extra second. An opportunity like this doesn't come along every day, ya know. ;)

- Vaughn

Frank Chaffee
12-23-2005, 6:48 PM
Vaughn,
At my age I often choose the holiday off time for sleeping too. Since the start of the finishing forum however, (or is that Finnish forum?), I suggested that possibility for those with more sisu than me.

Frank

Gregg Mason
12-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Party, schmarty. I plan to sleep in, to take full advantage of the extra second. An opportunity like this doesn't come along every day, ya know. ;)

- Vaughn

Vaughn, You might be able to crank out another cutting board with that extra time. :rolleyes: Your quick.