PDA

View Full Version : Corona virus sign at horrible fright

Bill Dufour
03-15-2020, 10:00 PM
I was at the local HF store today. Bought a weed sprayer on 1/2 price sale. good deal if it lasts a season. 20% off +free stick of batteries.
Sign on the door says "do not come in if you are sick"
I tell my wife anyone who goes into HF is sick in the head anyway. She said, does that include you?
Bil

John Terefenko
03-15-2020, 11:12 PM
How do you know if you have the virus. You can have it and not know it right away.

michael dilday
03-16-2020, 8:47 AM
How do you know if you have the virus. You can have it and not know it right away.

I hear what you are saying. If you feel well you may have Covid. If you are sick you may not have Covid. It is not an exact science. I guess error on the side of caution is the best bet.

Bill Dufour
03-16-2020, 9:29 AM
A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens. If you have corona you can't do it?
Bil lD

Mark Bolton
03-16-2020, 9:39 AM
That sounds like a scientific test. All the drive thru testing facilities could just use clothes pins on peoples noses or put a bag over their head for 15-20 seconds lol. Id say they'd have a straight line to the ER with such a test. I know a lot of the "heavy hitters" in my area that couldnt hold their breath for 14 seconds on their best day.

Your and your wife's response to HF made me giggle. I get sick walking "in" to that place from the smell.

Lee Schierer
03-16-2020, 10:10 AM
A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens. If you have corona you can't do it?
Bil lD

This is totally wrong for two reasons. First it came from a kid not a medical expert and second, it just isn't true. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taiwan-experts-self-check/)

Matt Day
03-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Bil lD

Pleas, please, PLEASE tell me that is sarcasm. Because if people believe that our country is in bigger trouble than I thought.

John K Jordan
03-16-2020, 10:53 AM
I hear what you are saying. If you feel well you may have Covid. If you are sick you may not have Covid. It is not an exact science. I guess error on the side of caution is the best bet.

A gentleman employed by CVS told me today he was on a recent conference call concerning starting the drive-through virus testing program.

JKJ

Prashun Patel
03-16-2020, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening ;)

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-16-2020, 1:58 PM
Well, I like those little cinnamon candy discs sold at dollar stores and elsewhere. You know if you have one in your mouth and start coughing, your saliva is bright red on the handkerchief. Suddenly I was the only person in that register line.

John K Jordan
03-16-2020, 4:17 PM
A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens.

A kid or not, a breath-holding number like that doesn't make any sense to me. Besides the current state of the lungs I suspecgt the ability for an individual to hold his breath for a given length of time depends on several other things including lung capacity, the physical shape you are in, your state of mind, and mostly, I think, your training.

At one point I timed myself underwater (no cheating possible!) for almost 3 minutes, my record, but that was after extensive practice (and after pre-loading the blood stream with oxygen by hyperventilation). I've had chronic asthma since a young age but even that didn't seem to affect my breath-holding other than feeling tight in the chest.

JKJ

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-16-2020, 4:57 PM

According to what I read on the WHO and Johns Hopkins web site yesterday, as well as what an infectious disease doctor told me, a fair number of people get no symptoms other than a slight cold. They can pass it along for up to five weeks and never feel bad other than a couple days of sniffles. The estimates of the incubation period are being lowered. Now down to an average of 5.1 days. from exposure to symptoms. One or two "outliers" at 27 days from known exposure are considered doubtful and possibly from a second exposure from a mild case.

Gary Ragatz
03-16-2020, 5:23 PM
A gentleman employed by CVS told me today he was on a recent conference call concerning starting the drive-through virus testing program.

My understanding is this is the way a lot of the testing is being handled locally. Your doctor calls in an order and you drive to a local hospital, where they have a drive-through set up. You roll down your window and say "aaah." A nurse in protective gear swabs the back of your throat with a long Q-tip, and you're on your way. Technically, I guess it's not drive-through "testing," but drive-through "specimen collection." Probably no reason CVS or RiteAid or Walgreens couldn't do the same thing.

John K Jordan
03-16-2020, 7:21 PM
Unfortunately, we have a friend here who’s sister is horribly sick with all the symptoms. Her doctor ordered testing but the hospital continues to refuse to test her. The reasons? 1, she had not traveled out of the country, and 2, she had not been in direct contact with a person with a verified case of the virus. The rules that require these two things make NO sense to any of us. The family is frantic and has pleaded with the hospital. They say those are the rules. If that doesn’t change soon we may all be doomed.

My understanding is this is the way a lot of the testing is being handled locally. Your doctor calls in an order and you drive to a local hospital, where they have a drive-through set up. You roll down your window and say "aaah." A nurse in protective gear swabs the back of your throat with a long Q-tip, and you're on your way. Technically, I guess it's not drive-through "testing," but drive-through "specimen collection." Probably no reason CVS or RiteAid or Walgreens couldn't do the same thing.

Bill Dufour
03-16-2020, 8:10 PM
The 14 second breath test is just to let people know what teens seem to think is logical. Also how much bad information is out there. If it is on Utube it must be true.
Bil lD

Jim Becker
03-16-2020, 8:27 PM
The breath holding thing comes from a widely circulating hoax...

A large percentage of us will get this virus. A large percentage of that group will have limited or "bearable" symptoms. A smaller group will be very uncomfortable but will manage it without extreme life-saving intervention. The remainder who contract it, particularly those who have certain health compromises already or are elderly or in other vulnerable populations will experience lung problems that will likely require a ventilator to survive and even then they may not. There will be and have been exceptions where presumably healthy individuals get really wacked or worse.

John, I agree about the testing and hopefully the capacity for testing will continue to increase rapidly.

Ronald Blue
03-16-2020, 9:20 PM
Lot's of unknowns still currently. So Jim why was the other thread locked down? While there was some political comments it seemed pretty mild for the most part. It seemed like a reasonably good information exchange. I thought that was the point of this all. A broad cross section of knowledge and experience. Sometimes I think someone just got out of bed on the wrong side and had to use their "power".

Brian Elfert
03-16-2020, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, we have a friend here who’s sister is horribly sick with all the symptoms. Her doctor ordered testing but the hospital continues to refuse to test her. The reasons? 1, she had not traveled out of the country, and 2, she had not been in direct contact with a person with a verified case of the virus. The rules that require these two things make NO sense to any of us. The family is frantic and has pleaded with the hospital. They say those are the rules. If that doesn’t change soon we may all be doomed.

What changes if she gets tested? She is still sick. I suppose the medical treatment might change.

Doug Dawson
03-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Lot's of unknowns still currently. So Jim why was the other thread locked down?

You mean, the thing about German measles being racist, and about smallpox being blamed on short people? Hello, PC Principal! :^)

Lee DeRaud
03-17-2020, 1:47 AM
This is totally wrong for two reasons. First it came from a kid not a medical expert and second, it just isn't true. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taiwan-experts-self-check/)Even better: I heard it was 10 seconds and the original source was, wait for it, Geraldo Rivera.

Doug Dawson
03-17-2020, 4:58 AM
Even better: I heard it was 10 seconds and the original source was, wait for it, Geraldo Rivera.

I'm the last person on Earth to have been holding a stopwatch for Geraldo, and it's disappointing that he didn't last longer than that, if true. Does anyone here know CPR?

Lee Schierer
03-17-2020, 8:33 AM
Lot's of unknowns still currently. So Jim why was the other thread locked down? While there was some political comments it seemed pretty mild for the most part. It seemed like a reasonably good information exchange. I thought that was the point of this all. A broad cross section of knowledge and experience. Sometimes I think someone just got out of bed on the wrong side and had to use their "power".

You hit the nail on the head with: "someone just got out of bed on the wrong side and had to use their "power"". A few folks decided that the rules regarding politics could be ignored while others decided that it isn't a forum requirement to be polite and respectful of others. When moderators have to edit a significant percentage of what is being posted in a thread, it is highly likely the entire thread will be closed.

Jim Becker
03-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Staying healthy can certainly help one do battle with disease and is always a best practice, even aside from this current pandemic threat, but actual immunity can only come from other means such as exposure to the virus or a vaccine. There are likely some folks who have a natural immunity of some level to some RNA based viruses, of course, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. Eating healthy needs to be a regular habit, not a quick switch either. Suddenly becoming an "extra healthy eater" right now, while helpful, isn't the same as that being a normal habit...one that too many of us don't embrace unfortunately.

Ronald Blue
03-18-2020, 7:29 PM
You hit the nail on the head with: "someone just got out of bed on the wrong side and had to use their "power"". A few folks decided that the rules regarding politics could be ignored while others decided that it isn't a forum requirement to be polite and respectful of others. When moderators have to edit a significant percentage of what is being posted in a thread, it is highly likely the entire thread will be closed.

That's one thing we don't see is when they get into politics and stray from facts to just opinion or the side of the fence they stand on. I know you try to keep a balance here and appreciate that.

Bill Dufour
03-18-2020, 11:22 PM
Our governor instituted a fair and balanced policy to apply social distancing. He closed bars and churches both. (Churches can actually stay open but not have to many people inside at a time.)
Bill D.

Doug Dawson
03-19-2020, 5:25 AM
Our governor instituted a fair and balanced policy to apply social distancing. He closed bars and churches both. (Churches can actually stay open but not have to many people inside at a time.)

I was at the BORG again today to buy some more electrical (big project), it was fairly busy, and nearly everybody in there was "elderly"!

I got my calamine lotion...

Al Launier
03-19-2020, 7:17 AM
Bil lD
A false rumor that implied Stanford Health as the source. It was denied by Stanford Health as noted below.IMPORTANT NOTICEA widely circulating Google document claiming to have identified a potential treatment for COVID-19 in consultation with Stanford’s School of Medicine is not legitimate. Stanford Medicine was not involved in the creation of this document, nor have we published a study showing the effectiveness of this drug. Please click here (https://med.stanford.edu/covid19.html) for accurate information about COVID-19, and please consult a physician before taking any sort of prescription medication.
Reference: https://stanfordhealthcare.org/stanford-health-care-now/2020/novel-coronavirus.html