PDA

View Full Version : A Spun Platter

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 3:37 PM
The other day I needed a chunk of 2½" thick pine for a customer down the street from John Hart who wanted a custom hat stand. Naturally, the local yards were no help, so I turned to a timberframing buddy in the next town over. Told him all I needed was a 2½" thick 6" wide and 15" long chunk of dry clear pine. He said, "Sure, come on over". And this is what he gave me! It's 2½" thick 14½" wide and was 10 ' long.

So, after I whipped through the hat stand, I spun this out for my buddy as a way of saying thanks (and keeping the door open!). 13" across and about 1¾" thick. I put John's Secret Finish on it yesterday afternoon and buffed it about an hour ago. Shined right up and the finish seems quite nice. Thanks John.

28115 28116

I don't see much pine getting spun these days. Turned nice and sanded easy. Being pine, it's a bit soft and dentable. I left the main body thicker than I might otherwise have done, just to give it some mass and heft. Whatcha think?

Ernie Nyvall
12-23-2005, 3:48 PM
I like the form you got there Andy and that finish is a winner.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2005, 3:54 PM
Great job Andy. I love the finish on it. John formula must be a good one.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-23-2005, 5:00 PM
Good Lookin' "Thank You!"

Bruce

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 5:26 PM
Great looking platter! Let em spin!

Mark Cothren
12-23-2005, 6:40 PM
Looks great to me! Nice work!

Dick Parr
12-23-2005, 8:38 PM
That looks outstanding Andy. There is nothing wrong with that pine:D

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 8:45 PM
Thanks, guys. It's been sitting here on my desk all afternoon and I'm beginning to think I should harden it up a bit more - maybe even lacquer - because the darn pine is so soft. Thoughts? And if yes, do I de-buff it first? And if so, how?

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 9:10 PM
All the finish in the world will not make pine hard...

Jim Ketron
12-23-2005, 9:34 PM
Nice Job Andy!
I agree with Chris!

Gary DeWitt
12-24-2005, 2:43 AM
Of course you realize if you put any wax on it so far, you will have to strip that off very thoroughly to get a surface you can laquer. If you 're planning on going that route, I would think Japanese laquer work, which is usually a somewhat soft wood with many, many coats on it, 'til the wood specie is somewhat irrelevant. Long process, but it can be done. What about giving it the way it is, with a lifetime refinish garantee? Easy enough to spin it again with a bit of sanding etc.

John Hart
12-24-2005, 5:29 AM
Great Job Andy! As far as a hard coat...I would think that a hard coat over the underlying pine's softness would be like ice on pudding. Rather than denting...it would crack, if struck or dropped or whatever. Maybe dents over time would simply add character to the piece.

Like Paul Harvey says..."It's not the perfections....but the Priceless Imperfections that accumulate over time, that make a house, a home"

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 10:37 AM
So call me wishy washy. This morning I'm feeling lazy and will just take it over as it is. And now I can blame you guys :D Thanks!