PDA

View Full Version : Band saw lubricant

floyd mills
03-15-2020, 3:15 PM
Hi everyone, I have a relatively new band saw and it has been suggested that I use a blade lubricant. I'm wondering, if I use lubricant on the blade will it transfer to the rubber tires? Furthermore, I will be cleaning the rubber tires and would like to know how you do it. Do you use sandpaper as my manual suggests and do you use a liquid cleaner on them also, as I don't wish to damage them? Thanks and best of luck on your projects.

fritz eng
03-15-2020, 3:32 PM
i have used it made by Olson. Don't put too much on and yes excess can build up on tires. The blade should be warm to get the most out of the lubricant. No discernible difference in the cuts however

floyd mills
03-15-2020, 4:34 PM
i have used it made by Olson. Don't put too much on and yes excess can build up on tires. The blade should be warm to get the most out of the lubricant. No discernible difference in the cuts however
Hey Fritz, If your dealing with lubricant buildup on tires, is there any real advantage to using blade lubricant?

Bill Dufour
03-15-2020, 6:01 PM
If your are sawing metal then use lube.
Bill D

floyd mills
03-15-2020, 8:42 PM
Thanks Bill:)

fritz eng
03-15-2020, 11:05 PM
Hey Fritz, If your dealing with lubricant buildup on tires, is there any real advantage to using blade lubricant?

I have stopped using lubricant after cleaning off the excess build up. The build up was due to my inexperience more than anything else.

Chris Fournier
03-16-2020, 12:03 PM
I use it when doing heavy resawing. Right amount = no build up.

Ole Anderson
03-16-2020, 12:23 PM
I do see that when using an outdoor bandsaw mill, the blade if often water lubed.

Mark Daily
03-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone, I have a relatively new band saw and it has been suggested that I use a blade lubricant. I'm wondering, if I use lubricant on the blade will it transfer to the rubber tires? Furthermore, I will be cleaning the rubber tires and would like to know how you do it. Do you use sandpaper as my manual suggests and do you use a liquid cleaner on them also, as I don't wish to damage them? Thanks and best of luck on your projects.
I don’t use lube and when the tires get gummed up I clean them off with mineral spirits. I think sandpaper would damage the tires.

Jacob Reverb
03-16-2020, 2:30 PM
I do see that when using an outdoor bandsaw mill, the blade if often water lubed.

Some use water, some use diesel fuel, some use an emulsion of both or other oil/detergent emulsions ... I believe the biggest reason is to keep sap from building up on the blade as fast.

Richard Coers
03-16-2020, 4:47 PM
Are you cutting wet timber? That's the only time sawdust sticking to the blade or tire has been an issue for me.

Carroll Courtney
03-17-2020, 8:44 AM
Ittura Design suggested this and I be dang it works.I can tell the difference,like others little goes long ways.