PDA

View Full Version : What is making that clicking sound outside?

Paul F Franklin
03-15-2020, 11:14 AM
There's some kind of critter, I know not what, that is making a clicking/clucking sound outside. It's like the sound you make by popping your tongue off the roof of your mouth. Or like a faucet drip, but much louder. Roughly once a second but variable, sometimes faster, sometimes slower with occasional pauses of a few seconds. It stops when I open the door to look for a critter but resumes after a minute or two. I'm thinking insect or amphibian; definitely not a bird or it would fly away when I go outside and not a woodpecker; it's not a contact kind of sound.

I'm in NE Ohio and it's a sunny day, about 40 deg F right now. Anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?

Bob Glenn
03-15-2020, 11:30 AM
Probably just termites. No need to worry.

roger wiegand
03-15-2020, 12:48 PM
Both frogs and insects can make clicks. Any chance of a recording?

Mark Daily
03-15-2020, 1:02 PM
If you were in the desert Southwest I would say it might be an Antelabbit but I doubt you would find one in Ohio.

Mike Soaper
03-15-2020, 1:15 PM
Might be a pine borer bug that killed many of my pines and had a similar sound. Look for holes in the tree bark about 1/8" - 3/16".

michael langman
03-15-2020, 3:06 PM
Do you have red squirrels in your area, or chipmunks?

Jim Koepke
03-15-2020, 4:41 PM
Cicadas?

jtk

Jon Nuckles
03-15-2020, 6:11 PM
Cicadas?

jtk

That was my first thought, but all of the ones I have heard are much faster than one click per second.

Ole Anderson
03-15-2020, 9:52 PM
That was my first thought, but all of the ones I have heard are much faster than one click per second. some animals/insects beat in proportion to the temp, colder is slower.

Bill Dufour
03-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Does not sound like the fish humming noise.
Bil lD.

Myk Rian
03-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Do you have red squirrels in your area, or chipmunks?

This. We get the same noise.

Paul F Franklin
03-16-2020, 11:23 AM
Thanks all for ideas and suggestions. The noise has not recurred since yesterday so no chance at recording.

We have fox (including the black variety), gray, red and flying squirrels in OH and plenty of chipmunks. It seems a little odd that the sound from one of those would continue in the same area for hours at a time, however, but perhaps a newborn or mother tending a nest (if they do that?).

Also plenty of cicadas. Kind of early for them to emerge here, but certainly possible. I'm familiar with the noise masses of them make but not with a slow, loud click, but could be because of the cold.

Anyway, whatever it was seems to have moved on, (or got eaten?) so this will likely remain a bit of a mystery.

Brett Luna
03-16-2020, 7:29 PM
This may be a long shot, Paul but do you live near wetlands? The loud waterdrop sound you described reminds me of the American bittern (https://identify.whatbird.com/obj/33/_/American_Bittern.aspx). You can hear a recording of the call at the link. They tend to freeze rather than flush, which is also consistent with your description.

Ben Darrah
03-16-2020, 7:47 PM
If you have oak trees, or other seeds/nuts in your yard that squirrels like, I'll make a bet its chippies or squirrels. I have lots of oaks and hear the same thing often. They are really active early this year. I'm in NE Oh.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2020, 7:59 PM
Interesting sound from one of the trees around my place today. It was a kind of tick, tick, tick, tick, tick poing sound. We do have a lot of migrating birds coming through so it is likely something on its way to somewhere else.

jtk

Bill Bukovec
03-16-2020, 9:11 PM
I hear that a lot. Always thought it was a chipmunk.

Stephen Tashiro
03-17-2020, 12:58 PM
It's like the sound you make by popping your tongue off the roof of your mouth.

Many types of birds make such a sound to "scold" dogs and cats that they perceive as dangerous.

michael langman
03-17-2020, 3:32 PM
I have spent hours in the woods and listened to chipmunks and red squirrels go on tirelessly for hours at a time. Pesky little critters.