PDA

View Full Version : A good 10/4 cherry price?

scott kinninger
12-23-2005, 3:32 PM
I picked some rough-sawn cherry up at a local hardwood supplier and have been trying to determine if the price is: good, ok, or a real bargain. It's a full 10/4 thick, 5 1/2"-6" wide, and 10'2" long. It's got nice straight grain with 2 or 3 small (nickel to dime size) tight knots per board. I paid $28 for each of the two ($7 per SQUARE foot). The reason I ask is this place is not going to be selling to the general public after 12/31 so I have only one more shot at getting some of the remaining 8 or 10 boards, the sawmill is a commercial operation and open 2 hours on saturdays only for woodworkers. I don't have a need for anymore wood now but I have plenty of room in my basement to store it.

PS. If anyone is interested in knowing where they can buy this I would be happy to let you know the name and location.

Thanks for any input.

Gary Herrmann
12-23-2005, 3:37 PM
It's a full 10/4 thick, 5 1/2"-6" wide, and 10'2" long. It's got nice straight grain with 2 or 3 small (nickel to dime size) tight knots per board. I paid $28 for each of the two ($7 per SQUARE foot).
Thanks for any input.

Do you know the moisture content? If it's relatively dry (8-23%)...

$28 for each board? I think that works out to $2.20 per board foot. Run, don't walk and get the rest. If its anywhere near STL, I'm interested.

scott kinninger
12-23-2005, 5:18 PM
All their wood is fully kiln dried so whatever that is 8-10%?? i didnt ask about this particular run of boards nor their exact method of air vs kiln drying and don't have a moisture meter.

Edit: I'm in Onalaska WI (SW part of the state on the Mississippi River). I'd buy and hold it for you if you're really interested.

Steve Rowe
12-23-2005, 7:29 PM
That is a GREAT price. I haven't found cherry that thickness where I am and the 4/4 stuff kiln dried and rough runs about $4.75 / bf.

Gary Herrmann
12-23-2005, 8:07 PM
I appreciate it Scott, but with the holidays, I have no idea when I'd get there. I do think you should grab it for that price tho.

Jim Young
12-23-2005, 9:28 PM
Sounds to me like an excellent price. I'd jump on it.

Chris Padilla
12-23-2005, 9:45 PM
On sale, I got maple of the same size at $4/bf and was very happy.