PDA

View Full Version : Festool on Amazon.DE

scott vroom
03-14-2020, 4:21 PM
I just checked Amazon.DE and noticed the DF500 plus (not the set) is selling for equivalent $1,152 US which is a $98 premium over Amazon USA. Also, I don't even see the DF700 on the .DE site at all.

Does this sound right? I've read numerous posts about the cost savings of purchasing on .DE vs USA. Perhaps this is a currency exchange issue?

I've narrowed my search to either the DF500 or DF700 :p. We're going to be using it to build typical household furniture including king/queen bed frames and large dining tables, etc etc. From reading numerous threads, it seems most prefer the 700 over the 500 for various reasons including ergonomics. I can afford either, I'm looking to be pushed toward the 700 if that's a better choice for the larger furniture pieces. I have arthritis in my left hand and am slightly concerned about the added weight of the 700....but it's not the deciding factor.

Matt Day
03-14-2020, 6:06 PM
I believe the only cost savings is on the dominoes themselves. I bought a systainer of dominoes for something like $100+ less on .de.

Dave Sabo
03-14-2020, 6:09 PM
Those days are long gone because folks let the cat out of the bag publicly on forums like this and festool has shut down most or all of sources. Most, if not all of those won't even ship to you in the USA !

Another factor contributing to the now myth lower pricing was the currency devaluation after Brexit was announced. I'm not sure I ever saw pricing from Germany ever being low enough to forego the lack of warranty. Plus, all the electric tools are 220v - which is a PIA for U.S. users.

It's more likely you heard of people sourcing accessories, or items that aren't available in the USA more than anyone realized substantial savings.

p.s. - if you do find an overseas source to ship to you ; don't go blabbing about it public. Keep those discussions in PM.......and consider amending your posts to redact the actual sources.

Jim Becker
03-14-2020, 9:46 PM
The price conversion may include VAT which you wouldn't pay as a US buyer...assuming they would ship to you which Festool does not allow and has cracked down on further. Even for warranty purposes, you'll want the tool to be the US version, so pick your favorite Festool reseller and buy the one that best fits your needs. It's the same price everywhere, although there may be some specials on some products right now prior to the price increase that's coming.

Richard Coers
03-14-2020, 10:27 PM
I thought I read that all Festool machines sold in Europe ran on 50Hz, not the 60Hz here in America

Jim Dwight
03-15-2020, 8:43 AM
The voltage is also different in most if not all of Europe. The tools were never the item to go to Europe for in what I've read, only the dominos.

I bought the DF700, very slightly used, and got 14mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm and 5mm cutters from CMT on Amazon. The smallest two require the adapter. I am happy with this tool. The only pre-made tenons I have used are some 12mm that came with the tool. I've made the other sizes out of scrap as I need them. In the shop with a table saw, planner, and router table, it is very easy to do. I typically make more than I need so I have some pieces on hand. I make them to save money, to save space, and so I can have wider, more normal tenons when that is what I want.

I have not found the DF700 to be an issue due to size or weight. It is significantly lighter and smaller than my track saw (a DeWalt).

Dave Sabo
03-15-2020, 2:11 PM
I thought I read that all Festool machines sold in Europe ran on 50Hz, not the 60Hz here in America

You did. But that's the least of the issues one needs to worry about.