PDA

View Full Version : Redsign a tool storage spot

steven c newman
03-13-2020, 6:35 PM
in my shop. There is a mess, and getting worse...
Is most of the problem.....besides dust and drips landing on things....need some sort of Cabinet...to store all these drills, squares, spokeshaves....Maybe hide the sanders...

Not going to a be Heirloom cabinet...and needs to sit on the old tabletop that is the tool bench. Maybe a door or two? Thinking I could make it as deep as a 1 x 12 would reach....maybe add hangers to the inside of the doors....height would be about 48" max ( before I hit the ceiling joists..) May add a drawer or however many...for some of the smaller, hard to locate tools...have to re-arrange a drawer, for better use...
Because this sort of thing just won't do.....

Thinking the next time Menard's has a sale on 1 x 12 x 48" boards....I might grab a big stack...and see what happens.....Intend to sort through the pile of tools, pick out what will get used of each type, and stash the extras in a drawer...until something breaks...;)
After all..how many Yankees does one need?
Maybe keep the best of the Egg beater drill in the cabinet...maybe a large and a small one? Maybe a small handsaw, or three? Braces....I'm sure I cam "pare" 14 down to maybe one or two of each sweep size ( how to hang a 12" or 14" sweep brace..) and maybe keep a few pre-set with a bit? Chisels have their own rack on the back of the bench, screwdrivers have a red plastic rack on the wall....

have to watch, as the drill press will be right beside any cabinet I build....need one door to swing past the plane til (without knocking a plane over..)

Solid plywood for a back? or Pegboard. Solid wood? ( T&G Pine...might have just the plane, for that...) shelves? or Racks or pegs?

have things for layout work....maybe some pliers....

Figure a "Start Date" after the first week in April.....gives a wee bit of time to plan things out....

(Maybe a shelf for some of the larger, "extra" planes..)
Just started research today....haven't seen much that suits me....or the area I have to work in....
Will get a few measurements, and a few pictures, and go from there....
Stay tuned....:D

steven c newman
03-13-2020, 7:29 PM
I can go to 48" tall...barely.....have to stay within 3' for a width....depth?
I could go up to 4' deep....maybe not...width?
I have a clearance issue at this end.....the other end?
I have to allow access to the plane til....and still let the right hand door swing open...not quite a 180 degree swing....Cabinet needs to be screwed down to the bench top....too. So, this is about how much room needs to be cleared up..
I do have a small bit of wiggle room....
To where I could slide the drill press a wee bit to the left...4" max.

other issues? stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-13-2020, 7:39 PM
have a messy spot to clear out...and place the outlet bar elsewhere..
And these need a better home, besides sitting with the laundry soap..
As for them gray plastci shelves from Wal E World?
If'n you place too much stuff on a shelf..
They WILL bow.....not good.

Will do some sketching around.....issue being when I would open the door on the left side....might get in the way of the drill press.....hmmmm..

Stay tuned....:D

freiler thompson
03-14-2020, 9:07 AM
I like that you are giving yourself a good amount of time to put it all together and figure it out instead of just barging forward like I would do. Do you find yourself more of a heirloom quality tool storage guy like Derek or just build something sturdy that works?

Bob Glenn
03-14-2020, 10:15 AM
I too am in the process of building a tool chest. Right now, all my tools are displayed on open wall cabinets and shelves of various styles. However, as I am getting older, I am concerned about what will happen to my edge tools when I pass. I don't want them loaded up in cardboard box to jangle around while sitting in a relative's damp garage.

I am also culling the herd a bit, as I no longer need all the old woodies that I used when re-enacting. I've already built a Dutch tool chest and am currently building the a traditional cabinet makers tool chest as described in Scharz's Anarchist's Tool Chest.

Derek Cohen
03-14-2020, 11:08 AM
Steven, you have an awful lot of duplicates. In fact I do not know anyone with as many duplicates as you :)

Freiler, I do not have "heirloom quality tool storage". I hope it is attractive, but it is made of MDF (trimmed in Jarrah scraps) ...

https://i.postimg.cc/prN81J5D/6b21f130-1c2b-46fe-8a89-ba5d20aaec6d-zps9g0slxmv.jpg

... or a bit of Pine ...

https://i.postimg.cc/MHkJc28V/3-zps8d9b0350.jpg

It is just organised. I have a small space, and only keep out the tools I use. The remainder (no duplicates at all) are behind closed doors).

Reduce the unnecessary or unused tools, and it is amazing how much work space opens up ... not to mention the extra storage.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
03-14-2020, 11:28 AM
Steven, you have an awful lot of duplicates. In fact I do not know anyone with as many duplicates as you :)

Freiler, I do not have "heirloom quality tool storage". I hope it is attractive, but it is made of MDF (trimmed in Jarrah scraps) ...

... or a bit of Pine ...

It is just organised. I have a small space, and only keep out the tools I use. The remainder (no duplicates at all) are behind closed doors).

Reduce the unnecessary or unused tools, and it is amazing how much work space opens up ... not to mention the extra storage.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Great advice, and so hard to do :p. I've been trying to cull the herd for awhile and almost every time I pick up a duplicate to move to storage or sell I have a "yes but" moment and back on the working shelf it goes. That's the bad news, the good is the herd isn't growing unless the tool is needed and I do not have one to do the job. The other good news is my tool problem isn't as great as Steven's. With retirement screaming up on me, wither I want it or not, I expect the tool "problem" will be easier to manage once I'm trying to find something to do with my time.

ken

steven c newman
03-14-2020, 1:36 PM
rather a bit hard to "cull the herd" when Yard Sale season is just around the corner..LOL..

Duplicates are more for a "collection sort of thing" but, I will stash away most of the "extras", and just keep the better ones of each type...or size....maybe leave a bit in a couple Yankees screwdrivers...different size to match the drivers. same with the braces, and egg beaters. Squares.....Maybe a way to set them up in the cabinet...as I tend to use several sizes in a build.

That "Tool Problem" has been growing since before Norm Abram started on TV..... used to rehab and sell a LOT of tools on that auction site....until the sellers fees got to be too much, and the PayPal account got hacked....haven't really gone back in over 2 years...other than a needed part. No money to be made....and, I'd just buy something else with the cash....

There are some out there, that collect every type, every variation of each tool....some have entire barns full....and never use a one....nor sell one.

Braces? I use two 6" sweeps, and an 8 and a 10" sweep....the two larger braces, the 12" and the 14" are for the BIG jobs, with BIG bits....like a hole in a porch railing, to house the pole for a porch umbrella....

Power tools? Maybe stock those plastic shelves with them? And add a curtain to keep off the dust....

Anyone is more than welcome to stop by and visit the Dungeon Woodwork Shop.....things are bit cramped....but just about right for one Olde Pharte to work in.

Tony Zaffuto
03-14-2020, 3:34 PM
'Tis hard to by-pass those orphans! I don't go to yard sales, but we have one of the largest flea markets in PA, nearby. Old tools have been pretty plentiful, through the years, and it is very hard to let that 50 year old 60-1/2, priced at $3.00 just sit there, or the Langdon miter box, at $5.00.

Yankee drivers are not plentiful around here, though. On the other hand, there are many of the Stanley 41 push drills (and similar ones), at a couple of bucks.

steven c newman
03-14-2020, 8:43 PM
Busy laying down a new floor for the kitchen....might be a day or two, before the sorting can be started.....
Yankee No. 135? One with a phillips, one with a straight bit
Yankee No. 130? same as above
Yankee No. 131..only have one, right now. Handyman 133s....stash away.
Yankee No. 41....leave 2 out, with a different size bit...large and small...MF will be in storage.

it's a start...

steven c newman
03-15-2020, 5:24 PM
Been a delay in the woodworking side of things...been laying new floor tiles in the kitchen...needed to nail down a brass strip, between the new floor and the carpet area ( hope this works)
Which meant I needed to be down there, on these old knees, to install 7 nails....fun part came when I went to stand up....tried at least...fall right back down, and did a face plant...
Landing Zone Nose....nose pads on my glasses bent out of the way..of the glasses cutting into my nose...
Impact Area. Along with the already sore knees, and the sore elbows....I found out I don't bounce anymore..Had to have help getting upright, again...
The floor?
Well, we did get this corner done...and a start down the hallway..
And the main floor of the kitchen is done. When we recover...we'll get the hall finished up.

face plants onto a floor...hurts...try not to do such things. Walking down the stairs to the shop is..out, for a day or two....
Report back when the sorting is underway...

steven c newman
03-15-2020, 6:12 PM
I am more of the "why change bits, just change the tool holder and all" sort of thing. I have one brace with a countersink bit, then another with the pilot hole bit. I just leave those set up.

Squares? I MIGHT use 2 or 3 on a project, depending on the size part being checked. A 3" square doesn't do much good on a wide panel, as a 12" square doesn't quite fit a crosscut for a narrow apron.
Some can layout a 45 degree line...others can't.

some of the "extras" are more of a "just in case" back-up plan.....in case one tool should go "bad", it's place can be taken over by the next in line. 2 small combo squares? Have each set so I don't have to change the settings of jut one...back and forth creates errors. Just have to remember which is for what setting.

Some of those Yankee screwdrivers are mainly for parts....like a selector, or the main spring...parts that tend to break.

Extra planes? some times, you can set each up just a hair different...rather than change irons, depth of cut, camber/no camber.....and then just grab the one best suited to each job.

It has taken me almost 50 years of searching around, looking through tool sales...looking for the tools that suit ME best...I think I have about the best set for what I do....and the wood I work with.

Right now, I am a bit sore and beat up....after doing a face plant onto the new kitchen floor....and found out, I just don't bounce, anymore. Also found out, I can no longer get down on these old knees, and then try to just stand up..it don't work.

Stew Denton
03-15-2020, 6:13 PM
This is a very good post. It is making me think about my tool storage. It is time for me to make hard decisions and get rid of excess "stuff."

I have more saws than I need, a few duplicate tools although fortunately not too many, but way less than Steven has. However, the point is the same, I need to thin a little of the herd, but mostly get rid of tools that are never going to be used. I have a son-in-law and friends that can use most of my extra saws, so think I can give away what I don't need to those who are close to me. I don't have "way too many" saws. but I do have more than I will ever use. (On the other hand, that may be by definition "way to many.")

I also need to get rid of tools that are worn out, are in extremely poor shape, or seemed like a great idea at the time but I now know that they will never be used....tools that are solutions looking for a problem. (Fortunately I have very few of those.)

I don't have a lot of storage space, and what I do have is very poorly used. Time to get rid of some stuff to create room to work, and make some storage things like Steven has so as to make much better use of what I do have.

Like Ken, retirement is charging like a freight train and about a year away. A few months after that we will move so the junk has to go.

The first step for me is to finish restoring the tools I will use routinely, and that is underway, so at least I am moving in the right direction.

I am slowly getting smarter about buying tools, and not buying many. A friend in high school told me "a bargain is not a bargain if you don't need it." Extremely good advise, and I am getting better a applying that extremely good advise.

Again a good and timely post.

Regards,

Stew

Stew Denton
03-15-2020, 6:39 PM
Hey Steven, one more set of bad knees here, well one real bad knee anyway. Have never done the "nose plant," but have come close. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Stew

steven c newman
03-16-2020, 2:29 AM
As soon as I get healed up...I intend to sort through the "extras".....ones that do not work anymore...toss. Ones that do work, and be of use to another woodworker..I pass along, as a "Paying it forward" option. I intend to pare the tool kit down quite a bit...will save time digging around for the tool I need for a task....Will keep some as "parts" to fix any tools that happen to break.

Planes: I happen to have almost every size in either a smooth sole, or a grooved sole....and can keep testing to see which works best on what wood. Will see how the #3c, the #4c, the #6c and the #7c hold up, against the #3, #4, #6, and the #7....

However...what is a person to do, when at the next yard sale, they find a Stanley #3, type 11....for $5.....tain't fair....

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2020, 5:57 AM
As soon as I get healed up...I intend to sort through the "extras".....ones that do not work anymore...toss. Ones that do work, and be of use to another woodworker..I pass along, as a "Paying it forward" option. I intend to pare the tool kit down quite a bit...will save time digging around for the tool I need for a task....Will keep some as "parts" to fix any tools that happen to break.

Planes: I happen to have almost every size in either a smooth sole, or a grooved sole....and can keep testing to see which works best on what wood. Will see how the #3c, the #4c, the #6c and the #7c hold up, against the #3, #4, #6, and the #7....

However...what is a person to do, when at the next yard sale, they find a Stanley #3, type 11....for $5.....tain't fair....

We're very weak, Bandit! I've tried that many times, then I come across this D16 that I have to have, even though I have a dozen already. Or find another washita, or a plum bob (did I mention the hundreds of plumb bobs that have taken up residence with me?).

carey mitchell
03-16-2020, 3:47 PM
I finally got the motivation and did it. 428133428135428136428137428134

steven c newman
03-16-2020, 4:03 PM
Mind if I steal a few ideas from this? Already have a plane til...and a handsaw til....

Hmm have 5 coping saws...which ones to keep....the Atkins.....the Stanleys....or the Disston/HK Porters...? One deep and one normal reach....

3 spokeshaves too many?

Most of the user chisels are "housed" along the back of the bench....
May dedicate a shelf for the items in their own wood cases....may need more than one...
Day after face-planting....wow, am I still stiff and sore....nose still wants to leak a bit...
Bent those glasses up enough, that I am going to have to get a new pair. getting too old and creaky, to be working down on my knees.....flooring may go the same route as roofs did....have someone else do the work, while I play Straw Boss....

Mike Allen1010
03-16-2020, 8:37 PM
I finally got the motivation and did it. 428133428135428136428137428134

Carrie well done! Looks like terrific shop/tool organization! Thanks for sharing.

Best, Mike

steven c newman
03-17-2020, 7:59 PM
Rooh-kay, Raggy...sorting out a few tools, today....
Rest were stashed away...went through, found ones that WORK, and with tips I can use...even one I can quick change the tip. A single #135, and three #130 Stanleys...and then my single #131A
Aka, "walking stick" for them really BIG jobs.

Push drills? decided to keep 3, and stash the other 2...
Since the Yankee tips and the Millers Falls tips can't be switched between the other drills....kept the ones with the most tips.

Squares? Cleaned up the combo squares..
may just keep the Stanley Handyman one....best of the 3. The 2 smaller ones are keepers. often use both at the same time.
Next..need to sort out these braces....by size and by chucks...question is..
Which chucks. barbers, holdalls ( the Samson will be a keeper).....maybe 2 of the 6" sweeps, an 8"...and a 10"....Will be keeping the 12" (samson) and the 14" Stanley....or, is that too many?

Chisel rehabs today....
large one is a Union Hardware M. Co......there is that Stanley No.60......and a Buck Brothers....One got an entire new wood handle, and one had it's handle fixed up. Will see where I can store these..
Stay tuned....May take all day tomorrow, to sort out the best of the 14 braces....( last count....there is also a Goodell Pratt Co. breast drill, with the chain drill...)

steven c newman
03-18-2020, 7:55 PM
Ok..brace drills and one Egg Beater....had a few to toss out...
2 with green circles are from Germany...one was marked "H.S. 102" and is the 10" one on the right. The red circle? Made in JAPAN....when you see those two lines on the head...walk away, it is held in by potmetal threaded inserts. There was also a clone of the Stanley 945-8...handle was frozen solid...tossed it. 5 drills tossed.

Stanley #945-8
Debating on which one to keep of these 2....Stanley No. 730-14?
Save this for them BIG jobs...14" sweep! For something a bit smaller..
Stanley # X3 6in, sold to the USA O.D. ( United States Army Ordinance Department)
There is the KK version...
Use this as a pilot hole drill. There is another KK ( Keen Kutter) brace..
#N 104....10". And a SAMSON 8012, by P. S.& W.
12" sweep....Samson chuck.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-18-2020, 8:06 PM
Now, there are a few Goodell Pratt Co. drills in the shop....beside the #477 breast drill....not sure IF the M-F #22 is related ..
To the G-P #408..
The 408 had that loop to shift forward or reverse...May keep it around....or, just use the Stanley 945-8?
The "other" Goodell Pratt Co. drill is a #329...
428278 428279
That I need to fix the bolt holding the top handle in place...and find a collar for the wood part.

May add it to the other 3 "keepers" of egg beaters....maybe?

Squares...have cleaned a few up...the all metal try squares have been stashed away...will sort through the wooden handled ones..tomorrow.

Maybe keep the two 6" drills, at least 2 of the 8" and 10" drills, and the two biggems....question is, which ones...of the 8" and 10" size to keep...

Jerry Olexa
03-18-2020, 10:51 PM
I keep saying "I'm going to thin out" or I have too much stuff, duplicates... BUT then this attractive low priced gem in the rough appears and it follows me home... No self control :)

Stew Denton
03-19-2020, 1:26 PM
Jerry,

You are not alone in that. A few years ago a garage sale came up with tons of pretty good hand saws at almost give away prices and I bought around a half dozen. These are ones I did not/do not need. I will end up giving them, or others I already had, away to close friends or family.

Stew

Andrew Pitonyak
03-19-2020, 2:36 PM
You are not alone in that. A few years ago a garage sale came up with tons of pretty good hand saws at almost give away prices and I bought around a half dozen. These are ones I did not/do not need. I will end up giving them, or others I already had, away to close friends or family.

I had some planes that I was able to clean up and make work that were given to me in thanks for my helping them with some things. I gave them away to someone else who needed them. Steve has given me some things that he had too many of and I did not. I have a small plane with a now wicked sharp blade on it because of that.

I do need to either replace my #8 or make it work. I think I can make it work by widening the mouth a bit, I have just not gotten around to given that a try.

steven c newman
03-19-2020, 5:28 PM
The egg beater Goodell Pratt Company drill had a few "issues" corrected, today..

Where the wooden hand meets the steel shaft..
There wasn't a ferrel. There WAS a bolt and a square nut, where some one had drilled all the way through...including the threaded insert for the handle to screw onto the shaft...Had to grind the peened bolt out of the nut, and drive the remains out. I also found a metal ferrel to add to the wood handle. had to blend things out a bit. Screwed the handle in place,,,then made a "pin" to lock the threaded rod in place..
Handle is nor rock solid. Will fill in a few spots around the pin, later.
Crank: has the wrong bolt..
Thought just doing a counter sink to the hole would help....nope....have since added a #10 x 24 machine bolt, cut to the right length. Once the wheel has a new coat of red paint....I can get a better picture....

I found a second logo on that crank...."Goodell Pratt company, Greenfield MASS, USA" to go along with the logo ( with patent number/date) stamped into the cone of the chuck's shell...
Stay tuned. Just picked up the red paint today....

Need to decide how many 8" and 10" braces to keep....and which to stash away...Looking at keeping just one of the Stanley 945-8s....and will see about which 10" brace to keep...That Millers Falls No. 22 will get retired.....
stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-19-2020, 11:02 PM
Ok...new paint job...new bolt..
Ready to join the others...
And, while the paint was handy...
Narrowed down the Yankees a bit...
And the wood squares...
Til is looking a bit empty...

Plus a chisel rehab, today...
Old taped up, beat up handle ...replaced by a better one?
Well, this old bolt goes all the way through....to the bottom of the socket of the New Haven Edge Tool 1/4" mortise chisel. Might just work out?

taxes were filed today....meh....gave the paint time to dry..

Stay tuned..almost ready to cut some lumber....maybe.

steven c newman
03-20-2020, 4:15 PM
Cleaned up a few tools, to get them ready...
3 Buck Brothers chisels. and a few turnscrews...Stubby is a Millers Falls #69
Sitting beside the "Perfection" screwdriver, is a Butcher 1/8" Sash chisel...rest have been cleaned up. Trying to decide which will get stash in the cabinet...

Road Trip to Menard's today ( just HAD to get out of the house..) and spent a little under $46...for 14 boards of Pine...
10 pc @ 1 x 10 x 4'....and 4 pc of 1 x 4......two at 3' long, two at 4' long ....letting this sit a day or two...to get used to the house..
Handsome, aren't they.....:rolleyes:
Was loading one of the 1 x10s....either a splinter, or, a staple poked me left index finger.....:mad:
Stay tuned....

steven c newman
03-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Need to pick out the best four 1 x 10s from that stack of 10....joint an edge or three :rolleyes: and do a glue up. This will be the back of the cabinet. Then see IF a 1 x 10 wall for the "box" will be deep enough....if not....I'll do four more glue ups....a 1 x 10 to a 1 x 4.....two of which will be rough cut to 3'. looking at a 3 foot wide box, just under 4' tall. Means I'll need to buy a few more sticks, to build the doors with...

First thing today? Lunch....then see how things go...:D
Stay tuned...the fun is about to begin...:cool:

design change: height has been reduced to 3'......4' was just too tall. 4 planks have been selected....and the 12" excess has been laid out...ready to be cut...after I finish my Corned Beef and Swiss on Rye Sammich....box is looking like a 3' x 3' square...

steven c newman
03-21-2020, 4:14 PM
Boards trimmed down to 36", using a SKIL saw..
Yes, a 6" SKIL saw...
I guess this is a "Vintage saw"? Edges were jointed..
Stanley No. 7c seemed to work nicely enough..
Last board was used to start the glue up....and the cussing..
Trying to fit the right size clamps....and working around the cauls on the ends...
IF I read things right..I used two 3/4" Hargrave(sp) pipe clamps...plus a 1/2" Pony on the backside...down on the end...

Size of the panel..3/4" x 36" x 37"....glue joints will turn vertical, once the glue is cured.

It's a start...stay tuned :D

Jerry Olexa
03-21-2020, 9:04 PM
My Dad loved the Skil 6 1/2" circular saw...He liked the light weight of the saw coupled with power and accuracy.
Few years ago, I found one for sale and bought it in memory of my beloved Dad...
A good saw.

Tony Zaffuto
03-21-2020, 9:35 PM
My Dad loved the Skil 6 1/2" circular saw...He liked the light weight of the saw coupled with power and accuracy.
Few years ago, I found one for sale and bought it in memory of my beloved Dad...
A good saw.

My deceased father (2004) also had a 6-1/2" saw he used for everything, though not a Skilsaw. My brother moved his smaller tools to his garage after he passed, and it is probably in there. Like you, I would love to get hold of it. To you and Bandit, thanks for the memory!

Andrew Pitonyak
03-22-2020, 10:42 AM
I almost said "hey Steve, I will come over and take some of that off your hands", but, true to your generous heart, you would give me a bunch of stuff then I would need to figure out where to put it :D

Will be curious to see what you do with your chisels. I have four or five wooden cases that contain sets of chisels (a set might be from many different makers, and types, depending), and then they stack easily and I know where they are. All of my hand planes are currently in a large drawer. Well, most of them anyway.

steven c newman
03-22-2020, 1:49 PM
had to run out to the Blue BORG for 2 boards....$15.50....a 1 x 4 x 6' and a 1 x 10 x 6'......other day I bought 14 boards, for 45 buck and change. Menard's pine vs Lowes pine....except...the two 1 x 4 x 4' I bought at Menard's...turned out to be hunting bows in disguise....:mad:

The 1 x 10 from today's trip....will replace two 1 x 10 x 4' that are a bit too knot infested..... :eek:
Clamps will be coming off the big panel after a bit....then will try to get the top, bottom, and 2 sides glued up....without too much cussing:rolleyes:

Will use the back panel to help size the side panels for rough length...I hope...

Jerry Olexa
03-22-2020, 2:37 PM
always have to run out to get more materials...I know that feeling...altho I tend to "overbuy" most times.

steven c newman
03-22-2020, 3:05 PM
What the new 1 x 4 replaced..I placed these two 1 x 4s between my desk and a table...
Ah...but it get worse..
When you look in from my chair...and can about pass my hand between these two....methinks these will be heading back to where they came from....2 good replacements, a refund..or a bottle of Mountain Dew ( 20 oz is about the same price as these two boards were, combined)

Well..shop time, coming up....clamps are due to come off....I need to be there to catch them....:D

steven c newman
03-22-2020, 7:44 PM
OK, back to the shop...clamps came off, nothing flew apart....only "Creaks" came from me...trying to move this thing...LOTS of C clamps, too..
Just pile them up...set the panel onto the floor, the way it will be once it is set up in place..
This is the view, when you open the doors....IF you can see past all the tools...
Used one of the good 1 x 4s, to layout where the sides will be, so I can cut the top and bottoms to the right length....
used this, along with the Stanley #7c to joint the edges for a dry fit..
Then did a glue up..
Then repeat......cut to length, joint the edges, clamps, glue, and cauls...then set both aside until tomorrow
Then hauled a couple more 1 x 10s and 1 x 4s to the shop...and get those ready to go. 1 x 10s needed trimmed a bit....one was trimmed at both ends...splits from a knot at each end.
Leave these clamped together til I need them.....warp will stay away, that way....

Stay tuned...we be on lock-down...guess I could open the shop on a Monday?:eek:

steven c newman
03-23-2020, 10:13 PM
Panels are out of the clamps, and assembled...
needed to clear all of this stuff out of my way..
The old drill til needed to go, too...
I screwed a couple foot pads in place....then the "FUN" began...
case is fastened down to those two pads...along with a couple 3" long screws through the pads and into the old tabletop below...WHEW....
Had to slide the drill press to the left a few inches....to get some clearance for the handles...
hang the chain for the chuck key...and add that powerstrip...

Maybe tomorrow, I can start work on hangers for all of this mess..
I did save all the cut-offs, so I can use them to make some hangers with...I also salvaged the rack the brace drills sat in....along with the rest of the drill til parts..
Get the hangers made, THEN I can start work on the doors...hhhmmmmm, think I need a light inside the case?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-24-2020, 7:56 PM
Hmmm, something missing?
Couple of things here, too?
Maybe over there, to the right?
Seems to be filling up?
Still a few open spots, though...
This corner is getting full..
Need to build a couple doors, so I can hang a couple saws...
Not sure about hanging those two smaller saws....
C clamps have their own "hang-out" spot..:cool:

It's a start,,,and a Work in Progress....will see about some doors ..maybe tomorrow....
Stay tuned..:D.( and play "Name that tool" while you are waiting.;).)

steven c newman
03-25-2020, 9:11 PM
waiting on a couple 1 x 4s, so I can build the two doors.....so...maybe a 5 cent tour of things....if anyone is that bored?
Bottom left corner. Top box is the Stanley #71-1/2, bottom box is the Stanley #45...then looking up into the left hand corner...
BIG brace is a Stanley #730-14. And a few other "odds & ends"....then the middle of the cabinet...
Kind of full, looking down..
These 2 are sitting around, waiting on a door to get made, so they can hang out...On to the right hand corner...
The sliding bevels squares are sitting on screws, that I had to reduce the size of their heads...
Bottom of the right corner. Made a rack to house the expansive bits (5)...the long, fancy box is filled with hardware. Screws, hinges, latches, nails...that sort of things.

been a few new arrivals come down to the shop....
The 2 dovetail saws are also hanging in that red rack.

Need to sneak down to the BORG for a couple sticks of Pine...straight ones, this time.

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

Stew Denton
03-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Wow Steven,

It looks pretty organized, and there are a lot of tools in not a very big spot. Also it looks like you don't have a bunch of extra tools just cluttering up the storage area. I am pretty impressed.

Stew

steven c newman
03-25-2020, 11:18 PM
Thanks.....waiting on the go ahead to get a couple boards from Lowes....then I can complete this build. Then see what else I need to cobble up....

steven c newman
03-26-2020, 1:54 PM
Ok...a little shop time, for now (nothing else to do....) hauled 2 planks to the shop....marked one for length,. then use it as a pattern for the other plank....trying to cut the worst off the ends...Then, clamped the two planks together, face to face
use the smaller jointer, to try to joint the edges..
Stanley No. 6 c, has 2 patent dates...Type 9/10....was working, just not enough...so...
Olde Heft & Hubris No. 8, Type 7 was put to work....panels are 36" long...should be enough for this plane...then glue, clamp, cauls, clamp cauls....
Used a thin shim, to get a little more of the end clamp's pads onto the panel...shelf under the bench was in the way..

Taking a "Warts and all" approach..
About shoots using the bench for the day....I found a couple parking spaces...for some extras...
Stanley No. 5-1/2, type 17, and that Stanley No. 6c, type 10.....there is a Millers Falls No. 15 in the til, beside the Stanley No. 6, type 9.....

That be it for today..stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
03-26-2020, 3:42 PM
Was out and about this afternoon...had to mail the rent check. Decided to then sneak down to Lowes at the south end of town...and picked through to find three boards as straight as I could....and three 1 x 4 x 6' Pine boards came home with me....Should be enough to build the frames for the doors...

Tried to make a Pine insert, the can be used to hang the Disston D8 (no hyphen) Panel saw onto the door.....last swipe on the beltsander machine....and it tried to eat one of my fingers.....platten stopped the finger from going too far....

steven c newman
03-27-2020, 1:05 PM
Ok....5 people in the house, no sign of any virus....but....the others ARE getting a bit GRUMPY, from being cooped up so long....I think I'll just go and hide out in the shop, today....

Camera battery needed charged up. Waiting on that, and a bit of Lunch ( besides pills..)

have so far...removed the clamps from the last glue-up...needed to know what sizes were needed, lengthwise...for the 1 x 4s to be cut to. Had to clear away a bunch of "junk" to get to the Stanley #358 mitre box, and then make a couple cuts....

Film @ 2300 hrs....

steven c newman
03-27-2020, 6:25 PM
Ok...clamps removed..
Mitre box was in use...(unable to use the tablesaw, today)
Stanley No. 358....saw is 28" long...seemed to do the job...
First piece installed...then worked my way around...
Needed help, so I got an assist from a few clamps....while I used a 3/8" Forstner bit for the counter bore...another drill was set up to drill pilot holes, and a 3rd was to drive the screws in place...bead of glue as needed....in the above picture, I still hadn't attached the other rail....needed a scrap across the bench to prop that end up...
Will come back with a few dozen plugs to fill the counter bores.....a #3 smooth plane was leveling a few high spots...
All the sides needed leveled out, as well..
Should do the trick ? Test fit?
Sitting on a pine scrap, held in place with a single clamp....Supper was on the way..so..
I hung up the shop apron...Quitting Time!

Still need to haul the last two 1 x 10s to the shop...cut the worst off, until I have two @ 36-1/16" long planks....will need Olde Heft & Hubris to joint the edges, and do a glue up for the other door's front panel...
maybe tomorrow, I can work on the last door? May need some bigger hinges, too...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-27-2020, 6:34 PM
Last night, was working on a way to hang a saw inside that door.....Traced out a pattern from the saw's handle...bandsaw to cut it out...then the belt/disc sander to fine tune the fit.....until the belt tried to eat a finger...ouch...anyway..
Red lines are where 2 screws will go...countersunk 1" brass screws. I think I have the fit about right..
may need a "keeper" that will keep the saw in place. May add a keeper for the end of the saw to reside in....and keep it from rattling around?

may try to fit one to my Disston No. 4 backsaw as well...keeps the dust off of them. Doubt IF any of the full sized handsaws will go inside the doors....I do have a saw til, after all...

Waiting on Supper to settle down....before I decide about anymore shop time, today....

stay tuned :D

steven c newman
03-28-2020, 1:00 PM
Woodshop has been shut down for the weekend...not because of any virus...but, it seems during that "face plant" a while back....I messed up a few things in my right hand....hand has been confined in a splint/wrap, until Monday. X-rays didn't show anything broken, they seem to think maybe a tendon or two was involved, instead...

So...if you all can wait a few days, while I get this hand healed up....and I learn how to be a Lefty....maybe I can complete this tool cabinet build..

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
03-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Thunderstorms last night....dropped enough in my area to raise a creek bit...
Including the Dungeon Creek....

Need to plan a place to stash these..
couldn't get them all in one shot..
Then found a couple more...
EC Jennings is stamped on this one...

steven c newman
03-29-2020, 8:51 PM
Ok...something simple to start, and easy on my right hand to do....I sorted through that pile of"extra" chisels....some went into the rack on the back of the tool well. Which left about 7 chisels.

next, dug through the scrap pile...looking for strips I can use....one or two that were thick enough...for the blades to sit flat in the rack. A third one to use as a keeper. Then cut one of the thicker ones to about the width of the inside of the Cabinet's door. Set that on the bench...next, cut a bunch of little blocks from the second strip....including two longer ones ( have enough left over for a second rack, if need be)...

next, lay out the chisels and a few of the blocks, the longer two on the end..
Working from the ends towards the center, each little block get a dab of glue, and mooshed down into place...then that thin strip was cut about to the right length, and a bit more glue was mooshed around...then a few clamps...
This will be the front of the rack. Always wondered what those spring clamps were good for....then set this aside, out of the way. Will clean things up with a plane (hand allowing) or just sand things smooth. Need to coat this with a few dips in the shellac....iron and Oak, don't play well, together..

taking things nice and slow, today...one plank at a time. each was trimmed for length..
Speedsquare to help out. Everything rest on the board, just push the saw through. Edges were checked..came out as a slight spring joint...so..
Panel for the front of Door #2 is now in the clamps. This is the outside/show face..
And this is the inside of the door. has a pitch pocket to clean up, or, cover up...

Which means the bench is filled, until the glue-ups are ready to be un-clamped, tomorrow. back upstairs, and rest the hand...

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
03-30-2020, 5:53 PM
Was a long, tiresome day....left me sore, crampy and grumpy. First off. all the clamps were removed this morning.
Supplies set out. 1 x4s were cut to lengths as needed...
Stanley No.358. 1st stile..
Glue and clamps to start...then mark out for the counter-bores, and fire up the drill..
Drill was sold by Montgomery Wards. Then a pilot hole was drilled, then a 2" screw was driven home..so I could use the clamps elsewhere..
Then flip this over..
And repeat for the other side. Then measure for the ends....16-7/8" long. Cut two over on the Mitre box...
Corners first...with an assist from a few clamps..
More glue and screws.
assembly is done, stay tuned for Part 2..:D.

steven c newman
03-30-2020, 6:06 PM
First off, ends needed cleaned up, and squared up a bit...
beltsander to do the rough stuff, then clean that up..
A smoother was used, both on the ends, and along one side/stile. The other stile needed a bevel made, to allow the door to shut past the other door,
Something like this. Maybe 5 degrees?...How to bevel a 3' long board?
Stanley No. 7c, Type 9....start out on the edge, and keep working back towards the doors front panel...
"T" is for Top of the door. Time to see how things will look..
One clamp to hold it (still no clamps) and sit it onto a scrap of 1 x 4...
Might have found a handle style to use..
And that was it for the door building, for today...but, i wasn't quite done, in the shop...
Stay tuned, Part 3 is coming right up..:D

steven c newman
03-30-2020, 6:16 PM
Because..there was a chisel rack to also get done...it also came out of the clamps...needed a few edges planed..
At least so I could stand this up against the fence on the Mitre box...and trim the ends square..
Plane the rest smooth and straight...drilled a counter sink..
Then the pilot holes..
Cleaned things up with the #3 plane...then added a champfer to most of the edges..
With a Stanley No. 60-1/2 Cordovan block plane. Then got the chisels back out, making sure none will hit anything on the way down...
All set to install, once the doors have their hinges. I might run a counter-sink bit around in the slots, to let the chisels sit down a bit better..

legs started to cramp..swept all them shavings up, and called it a day...

Will be looking at Piano Hinges...and then try to hang the doors....
Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
03-31-2020, 11:53 AM
While waiting on the next Payday to arrive, so I can go out and buy the "Pi-ano" hinges....trying to work out HOW to install them. May use a "springboard" to support the door. Install the hinges on the doors first, set the doors on the supports, hold things steady enough to get one screw in place....adjust for plumb, add the bottom screw. Check how the door swings, adjust IF needed...then add the rest..

Not enough room to access to outsides of the case...so the hinges will have to be inside..along the edges of the case and the doors.

Latch(es)? May have found the handles I want, but..how to keep the doors shut. May have a look around, when I'm out buying the two 36" long hinges...

Doors will only be able to swing about 90 degrees....Drill Press and the Plane Til are the "limits" of how far the door get to swing out....Not sure if I'll even NEED them to open any further...

Right now? Need to go and make a few dozen 3/8" tapered Pine plugs....then install...just on the doors. Case didn't get any counter bores for the plugs...

Once the doors are installed, THEN I can start on loading them up...

Have a nice pile of usable Pine scraps....hmmmm, resaw down, and make a few more boxes? May have to change out the bandsaw blade...
stay tuned.

steven c newman
04-01-2020, 3:19 PM
First...hinges have arrived. I just had to get out of the house for a little bit....and stopped by and bought the hinges. Now the fitting, cussing, screwdriving, cussing and fitting the swings of the doors can begin..

Was out & about, doing a mailing....anyway.

essential? Well, without the hinges, I am stopped....without that trip to the outside world, I be going nuts....can only stay cooped up so long....

Jerry Olexa
04-01-2020, 3:41 PM
First...hinges have arrived. I just had to get out of the house for a little bit....and stopped by and bought the hinges. Now the fitting, cussing, screwdriving, cussing and fitting the swings of the doors can begin..

Was out & about, doing a mailing....anyway.

essential? Well, without the hinges, I am stopped....without that trip to the outside world, I be going nuts....can only stay cooped up so long....

Agree with that cooped up feeling, Steve...Seems very prevalent with this VIRUS thing.. Be careful...Keep social distance :)

steven c newman
04-01-2020, 7:18 PM
Had to have a way to set the doors in place. Hinges went on the doors first,,,
Used some 1" long screws to hold things a bit better than those tiny brass things...set up a landing pad for the doors..
Door on the right needed a bigger one..screwed and clamped in place...also needed a shim to get the door to the right height..
Used a few 2" long screws into the case...
Door is hung...had to move a couple planes out of the way, first...
Repeat for the left door..
Both doors are now hung..
And...they even close!
Latch is a Hook & Eye, until I find one I like.
Have a few more things..stay tuned, Part 2 coming right up...
:D

steven c newman
04-01-2020, 7:26 PM
Ok...needed a way to hold the left door, so I could plane a bevel along it's edge..
Bench has a lower shelf....that I can rest panels on...door was a tad big,,so..
Clamps were used to hold things in place, both at this end, and..
The other end. Stanley No. 7c, Type 9..
And the shavings made. I tip the iron to the left, to get the bevel started...still had to beltsand things, once the doors were hung...fine tuning :rolleyes:
Chisel rack? Is now in the left hand door...
With a pine rest strip for the blades to rest against...
D(no hyphen)8 panel saw is now hung up, with keepers of Pine. Wondering what to stash in the big open area beside it...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-02-2020, 2:39 PM
That last picture? Things are a bit different there, right now..
Five more saws...Coping saws were moved out to be near the other two...
These USED to hang above my bandsaw, getting dust covered..
Along with the hammer til getting emptied out..
And..
Room for one more? Even picked up a couple hitch-hikers..
Plug cutter was used..
Made 24 plugs....installed all but three..
Was enough for ONE door? Need another 22 made. Taking a break, right now.

Cleaned the filter compartment on the beltsander....was plugged up, full. Might run a bit better now?...

Stay tuned...maybe later, I can do the $0.05 Tour again? IF anyone wants it?:confused:

Stew Denton
04-02-2020, 8:22 PM
Hi Steven,

Neat build. Since you asked, Yes, I would enjoy the new cooks tour.

Two questions: 1. the block planes look like they are vulnerable to fall off if the door was opened quickly or accidentally slammed shut, but this may not be the case. What I was wondering is if they are actually pretty solid or held in place some way, or have you already planned such and haven't completed that step yet. 2. What are you going to finish it with? (Are you out of your famous "witches brew?"

Again, nice build, and it looks like you have a lot of some of your very useful tools in one small well organized area. Are the boxes the ones for your Stanley 45 and router plane?

Thanks for the build and regards,

Stew

steven c newman
04-02-2020, 9:31 PM
Will be adding a thin strip along the bottom edges, so things don't go sliding around...

One door has all the plugs done...needed to trim them flush..
Bevel down with the chisel, doesn't take much of a hammer ( and saves my hand) and a Stanley No. 60-1/2 to finish the job..
Witch's Brew has been mixed, and applied to the one door..
Still need plugs made for the other door...about 11 after this one..
Number 14..out of 25.

Will do the tour this weekend...should be close to done...

Stew Denton
04-02-2020, 10:00 PM
Steven,

I think your famous "Witches Brew" is going to do the trick, from the look of the first door, and the plugs turned out pretty good too.

Stew

steven c newman
04-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Just bought a pair of latches...$3.80 for the pair.

need to mill 1 more plugs, install them, trim all 25 plugs flush, and then the Brew applied....then add the brass plated latches....

steven c newman
04-03-2020, 4:52 PM
Let's see...Latches?
Irwin screw starter to start the holes...
Install latches so they pull the doors shut, and tight..
Mill 11 plugs, and install...trim flush, sand smooth..
Ouside of the door was given a coat of that Famous Witch's Brew...and wiped down..
Looks like we are about done?

And open for Business?

Getting the Five Cent Tour about ready to go....

steven c newman
04-04-2020, 4:28 PM
The $0.05 Tour has begun...
Start here...then swing the doors open...
Right side is a bit full..
As is the Left side...Details?
Egg beater drills, a few hammers, couple of block planes.
Upper Right corner....
And the lower right corner, with a few planes...
Sitting in the Rogue's Gallery ( anyone you know?)
And, above that....a few drills...among other items...
Stay tuned, the Left side is coming right up..:D

steven c newman
04-04-2020, 4:37 PM
And the left side....The Upper left corner...
That larger brace is a 14" sweep..for those really big jobs...Next, a little lower..
And the bottom of the corner..
two Stanley #4s....In front is a No. 4, type 10....behind that is the Stanley # 12-004c, made in England. Box has the Stanley #45, with the case for the Stanley #71-1/2, Type 4 sitting on top..
left hand door has a few saws and chisels...and yet another block plane ( things are like Mice...)
And that will do it, for the tour.
Close the doors. First, reset the right door's prop..
Keeps that door from slamming back on me...

Hope you enjoyed the show...

Stew Denton
04-04-2020, 9:22 PM
Steven,

Nice tour. I think a lot of us are always interested in tool storage. I am for sure. l like to see posts on that subject, and I think a lot of us like builds and builds of benches, etc.

By the way, your famous witches brew Did Do the Trick! Looks good.

Thanks and regards,

Stew