PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do?

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 3:10 PM
So Brown shows up today - with no appointment or expectation - Sheesh! The gall of those guys:D

Upon inspection of the interior of the box, I discover this chunk o' cherry. A birthday present from my mother. Seems kinda wierd that she would give this to me - since socks and trow are more her style - but I'm all aflutter with glee. Okay, I don't really know how to gleefully flutter, but you get the idea.

Problem is, I've never wrecked a chunk this big and pretty before and want to do my best to honor it and the donor. It's about 24" long, 12" wide, and 8" deep. I'm having trouble visualizing the form that's hiding inside.

So - other than sending it you, which aint gonna happen - what would you do, and what do you see inside?

28108 28109

Travis Stinson
12-23-2005, 3:36 PM
I REALLY think your best option would be to send it to me.;)
But, since you've already tried to quash that idea.........I see either a couple sweet hollow forms hiding in there, or a nice natural edged flared bowl, bark side up on both.:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-23-2005, 4:03 PM
Wow, what a great gift!! I'm having a hard time seeing what's all in my own wood though.

One thing I can see though Andy is you gleefully fluttering.:D

Ernie

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 4:18 PM
Use your coring system and get as many bowls as possible! Great gloat!:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-23-2005, 4:57 PM
A winged natural edged Bowl with the possibility of a few awesome pens, too.

Bruce

Mark Cothren
12-23-2005, 6:42 PM
Great gift, Andy! I think the guys have already suggested some winners. Now just get it done!

Bob Noles
12-23-2005, 7:07 PM
Andy,

Please send me you mother's phone number. I need to let her know that I am available for adoption :D

WOW.... that is one sweet chunk of forest.

Frank Chaffee
12-23-2005, 7:10 PM
Andy,
You know you really want to flutter gleefully.

Sell that twisty lathe and invest in carving tools.

Frank

P.S. While there is a lot of help available for errants in the medical profession, turners unfortunately have fewer resources available to them.

PM me, I can help.

Have your credit card handy.

Regards

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 7:55 PM
Travis - Thanks. Please note that I would be willing to send you those portions of it that I end up not turning.

Ernie - I googled "gleeful fluttering" and was not impressed. Guess I'll have to come up with a new equally horrific and visually graphic image for ya.

Chris - What coring rig? I aint got that far yet. But I'm working on amassing the needed pennies.

Bruce - A knuckle buster! I like that.

Mark - Git 'er done. I hear ya.

Bob - My answer: 1-800-BIG-EWWW. I called her on your behalf, though and her answer: I only date guys who actually turn stuff.

Frank - You can have my card now - and all that comes with it.

Me thinks I'll have to ponder this some more.

Jim Becker
12-23-2005, 8:55 PM
Andy, it's hard to say what to do with it...let it speak to you. It may take some time to do that, too. No hurry. Wood (property kept in your shop) doesn't spoil! (I have a few hunks like this behind my J/P that are still silent on the subject...I guess they are waiting to actually see me turn a bit more before they "speak"...)

Jim Ketron
12-23-2005, 9:42 PM
Nice wood Andy!
I would do something with a natural edge with this piece, bowl or a winged NE bowl would look awesome

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey Uncle Andy shouldn't you send that wood to me so you won't slip and hurt yourself trying to turn it on the lathe. I wouldn't want anything happening to ya now.:D

Seriously turn bowl with a natural edge.

David Fried
12-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Andy,

I've seen pictures of baseball caps and ten gallon hats folks have turned.
I dunno, turning socks and underwear seems like a challenge - go for it!

Dave Fried

John Hart
12-24-2005, 6:05 AM
Andy...I think you have AT LEAST two projects there. The dimensions allow you to cut it in half. If it were me, that's what I'd do first...then do what Jim says and let it "Talk to you". I'd definitely look toward one NE and maybe something exotic.....Mom needs something out of this too don't forget!! :)

David Fried
12-24-2005, 9:19 AM
Mom needs something out of this too don't forget!! :)

His Hart's in the right place - I'll second the gift for Mom idea.

Dick Parr
12-24-2005, 9:40 AM
I wish I could help ya Andy, but I have two square one's sitting in the shop that I have no Idea what to do with.:eek: :confused: When I figure those out, I will send you some idea's.;)

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
.....Mom needs something out of this too don't forget!! :)
Thanks John - and David - This is a given. But I just can't wrap my head around my mother wearing wooden socks and dainties. Gonna have to give it some more thought. Hmmm, maybe I'll try the John Hart approach to project thinking: Furrow brow, inhale fumes, scratch chin, inhale more fumes, open eyes wide with an apostrophe, inhale yet more.... Seems to work for him.

Travis Stinson
12-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Travis - Thanks. Please note that I would be willing to send you those portions of it that I end up not turning.

In that case, I recommend a few boxes from either end!:p :D :D :D

Kurt Forbes
12-24-2005, 7:07 PM
that looks like it would make alot of nice wing edged plattes

you could probably bandsaw 4 decent platter blanks out of that

They would show off the figure of that great.

Dale Thompson
12-24-2005, 8:58 PM
Andy,
I "see" a lamp with that piece. :) In fact, I'm not sure that I would do ANYTHING to it except bore it out for the electrical parts. Turn yourself a nice base and put a "blackened" brass plate on it with the year and the
to:/from: greeting.

For many years to come, every time you turn on that light you will think of the brightness, happiness, kindness and glow that your mom brought into your life. Tell your kids and grandkids stories of your mom beneath the glow of that light and they will treasure them for generations to come.

For now it may seem a real challenge to transform the piece into something "beautiful". On the other hand, it is already beyond "beautiful" because it was a very thoughtful gift from a very thoughtful and priceless person. I think that you will live to regret anything that you do to "deface" its potential future value. :)

Just a thought, Andy. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do with it will be more than appreciated by all who are privileged to see it.

Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :D :) :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 8:16 PM
Well. The dirty deed has been done.

Got the first bath of Arm-R-Seal on today, and here's a tease picture because I just couldn't wait til they're totally done.

Proper post when the finishing is done.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2006, 8:33 PM
Nice looking NEBs Andy!

Travis Stinson
01-11-2006, 8:34 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Sweet indeed!:D

John Hart
01-11-2006, 8:40 PM
Yup...Top of the line Andy!!!! I can see why you were anxious to show them off. :) :) ;)

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 8:53 PM
Hey Andy, that is totally cool. That finish, isnt that the stuff D Marks uses on all his furniture. I wonder how good of a finish that would be on pens and how long it would last,any idea?? It's a wipe on poly or varnish right?

Corey

Dale Thompson
01-11-2006, 9:05 PM
Andy,
Spectacular!! :) Beautiful!! :D A REAL treasure! :) :D

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Andy,
Sorry about the bowls in the foreground that you weren’t able to get the rim even on, but I am interested in the painting on the vessels further back.
Any info?
Frank

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Andy, totally sweet, man! Very nice, indeed. I can't wait to see them all pretty'd up in presentation mode! Awesome job, my friend! :) :cool:

Dale Thompson
01-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I am interested in the painting on the vessels further back.
Any info?
Frank

Frank,
Hey, bud, this is a Turning Forum, not an "Ink Blotch" test! :) :cool:

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 11:15 PM
"Thank you, Thank you very much" he says in his crummy Elvis impersonation. It'll likely take a week or so to move them through the finishing process. I usually buff stuff, but I think I might chicken out on these. What would you do?

Corey - Dunno about David Marks. Never seen his show or his work, just his name here on SMC. Must be a god or something. No, that's wrong - he never posts here! I hung out on the Finishing Forum a little bit and heard about this stuff and thought I'd give it a try. Reminds me a lot of any old wipe on poly though. It's quite thin and runny.

Frank - Those are my wife's gourds. You can see them here (http://downscaledesigns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17&zenid=f96f17bb00ca4dc474eaa25a701f99b8)in the shopping cart on our website. While there, be sure to fully explore all benefits of the Add to Cart feature!:D

Oops. Did I just break a rule? John M. please advise,

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Frank,
Hey, bud, this is a Turning Forum, not an "Ink Blotch" test! :) :cool:

Dale T.

Well I just googled “Rorschach” and this is where I ended up!

Not MY fault!

Frank

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Oh yea!
Nice Andy!

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Wow Andy,
You are fortunate to be close that talented woman. I am fortunate to be close to a talented woman too, so I sympathize with you.

Really tho, that ragged lipped bowl is so beautiful I can hardly look at it!!!!!!!!

Frank