PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinge help

vince dale
03-12-2020, 11:44 PM
Building a small island for my kitchen. Two 20 x 24 side by side cabinets with drawer and door. On the showing ends and back I would like to glue on strips for a "faux" stile and rail look. I would like to have the door line up with outside edge. The problem I see is on the hinge side that the door will not open because of the extra thickness of the case and the "stile" and hit the case. Is there a hinge that will work? Any help is much apprectated.

Vince

Paul F Franklin
03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
I think we might need a little sketch showing your plan, at least I do!

Jim Becker
03-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Vince, I hope you can get a solution to your issue, but unless we can visualize things, it's going to be hard. You might want to become a Contributor (click on the "Donate" link up above) so that photos (and private messages and Classifieds) are available to you.

That said, you might also consider changing your design to all drawers which more and more folks are finding to be a better solution for kitchen lower cabinets including on islands. Easier to find and store things. Typical arrangement is one shorter over two taller for kitchen applications.

Jamie Buxton
03-13-2020, 10:41 AM
So your problem is that after you glue an end panel on to the casework, you've built up the wall thickness to be 1 1/2" thick, and the standard euro hinges don't handle that big overlay. There's lots of possible fixes. Here are two:

* Make the casework so that the rail and style panel is the actual casework, rather than an applied panel overlaying the casework.

or

* Keep the plan of an applied end panel, but remove parts of the underlying panel so that the euro hinges mount to the end panel.

Malcolm McLeod
03-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Vince, I hope you can get a solution to your issue, but unless we can visualize things, it's going to be hard. You might want to become a Contributor (click on the "Donate" link up above) so that photos (and private messages and Classifieds) are available to you.

That said, you might also consider changing your design to all drawers which more and more folks are finding to be a better solution for kitchen lower cabinets including on islands. Easier to find and store things. Typical arrangement is one shorter over two taller for kitchen applications.

Big fan of drawers here too, but....

If I properly understand the geometry of OPs plan, I think a full-overlay hinge will give you the open ‘stand-off’ needed to clear the end panel/stile.

Dave Sabo
03-13-2020, 11:13 AM
This is typically how and end panel is treated

Applying faux rail and stiles is a non starter in my opinion. First, you've got the hinge issue you ask about. Second, the resulting joints and mismatched thickness is going to look awful on the ends/sides.

There really isn't a good way around making a real rail and stile panel for the sides whether or not they are applied or integrated as the cabinet side as Jamie suggests. You could make the sides longer / deeper and apply the fakes on the back , but I'd just make a real panel for there too, while I was set up to make them anyway.

vince dale
03-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I'll have to rethink the whole design.

Jim Andrew
03-13-2020, 1:48 PM
Why not just put doors on the back side?

Dave Sabo
03-13-2020, 7:06 PM
Why not just put doors on the back side?

That's not a good option for euro construction. In fact it's really bad advice.

Euro cabinets need a back to keep them from racking.

Brian Ross
03-13-2020, 11:30 PM
Not quite sure what you are doing but Salice make a hinge specific for thick doors and will handle a door up to 40 mm thick ( 1.575 inches).
google Salice thick door hinge. I use Salice but have never used the thick door hinge. I believe Blum also make a thick door hinge.

Patrick Walsh
03-13-2020, 11:45 PM
If I’m understanding you want a Blum full overlay hinge. Depending on the setback “if there is one” from the face frame, or in the case of euro style the carcass or ace panel you’d again want 0% plates. This is if the carcass panel was 3/4 and edge banded.

If you are trying to make the end panel extend to obscure the door edges use inset hinges with 0% plates.

If there is a setback from where the hinge turns and or mounts to say your face frame you just need the appropriate mounting plate and image or full,overlay depending regarding its depth in mm.

Imop euro style is just edgebanded 3/4 carcass parts.

Building a small island for my kitchen. Two 20 x 24 side by side cabinets with drawer and door. On the showing ends and back I would like to glue on strips for a "faux" stile and rail look. I would like to have the door line up with outside edge. The problem I see is on the hinge side that the door will not open because of the extra thickness of the case and the "stile" and hit the case. Is there a hinge that will work? Any help is much apprectated.

Vince

scott vroom
03-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Look at Blum 39C compact hinges...up to 1-9/16" overlay.

Jamie Buxton
03-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Look at Blum 39C compact hinges...up to 1-9/16" overlay.

True, they offer big overlay. Unfortunately they have a huge gap between the back of the door and the front of the casework — 3/16” — and it cannot be adjusted out. If the door is only seen from the front, the gap doesn’t show. But if is seen from the side or the top, which seems likely on the OP’s island, the gap will be obvious and annoying.

Dave Sabo
03-14-2020, 12:59 PM
True, they offer big overlay. Unfortunately they have a huge gap between the back of the door and the front of the casework — 3/16” — and it cannot be adjusted out. If the door is only seen from the front, the gap doesn’t show. But if is seen from the side or the top, which seems likely on the OP’s island, the gap will be obvious and annoying.

Agreed. And the design concept is marginal at best, so should be re-thought.

But, the 3/16" gap can be hidden with a deeper / wider end panel. That's a relatively easy issue to overcome.

Patrick Walsh
03-14-2020, 12:59 PM
Again the point/application could be going right over my head?

https://www.amazon.com/Overlay-Blum-Soft-Close-BLUMotion-Frameless/dp/B004K807JC

But if in the case of a face frame just build the cab do interior carcass edge is flush with the interior ff edge or put stand off blocks until it is.

If euro style and just say 3/4 carcass and a full overlay door then 0% plates and these hinges work and you can adjust them in and out to tend to the reveals..

They also come in a thick door version..

scott vroom
03-14-2020, 1:16 PM
Patrick, you probably used the Amazon hinge just as an example. Woodworker Express sells the same hinge for $3.45, and $0.27 for the 0 height plate.
https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/blum-110deg-plus-blumotion-hinge-full-overlay-screw-on.html
https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

scott vroom
03-14-2020, 1:22 PM

Yup, you are correct that there are tradeoffs with the compacts. I build kitchen cabs last year for a guy who wanted a 1/4" reveal all around on a FF design. He was willing to accept the 3/16 standout and it didn't bother him. I guess annoying is in the eye of the annoyed, eh?

Jamie Buxton
03-14-2020, 1:34 PM
Yup, you are correct that there are tradeoffs with the compacts. I build kitchen cabs last year for a guy who wanted a 1/4" reveal all around on a FF design. He was willing to accept the 3/16 standout and it didn't bother him. I guess annoying is in the eye of the annoyed, eh?

There's no accounting for taste.

scott vroom
03-14-2020, 1:46 PM
Ain't that the truth!

vince dale
03-14-2020, 9:00 PM
This is typically how and end panel is treated

The side panel will solve my problem. Thanks Dave and the many others for your input.

Patrick Walsh
03-15-2020, 7:43 AM
The side panel to door configuration is exactly as I was thinking you where talking about.

In such a case the full overlay hinge and 0% plates I suggested work perfectly.

And yes I only used amazon as a example.

I normally get them from Richiliue..

The side panel will solve my problem. Thanks Dave and the many others for your input.

johnny means
03-15-2020, 7:56 AM
Make sure to get the 90⁰ stops for that setup.

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2020, 11:24 AM

No, with the euro hinges the OP is using you can have larger opening angles than ninety degrees. You do have to observe the manufacturer's spec for the gap between the door and the neighboring panel, but it does work.

vince dale
03-15-2020, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure when you say 0% plates. And would 107# hinges work?

The side panel to door configuration is exactly as I was thinking you where talking about.

In such a case the full overlay hinge and 0% plates I suggested work perfectly.

And yes I only used amazon as a example.

I normally get them from Richiliue..

Dave Sabo
03-15-2020, 2:04 PM

This simply is not necessary.

Those are for installs where the door / handle / knob will hit the adjacent wall or cabinet that extends in front of the face of said door. When there is free space like on an island the swing is not interfered with.

I'm not sure when you say 0% plates. And would 107# hinges work?

He meant 0mm plates. Blum makes them in 0mm, 3mm and 9mm principally, but there are a ton of others. It refers to the distance from the sidewall and it varies the overlay or offset.

https://www.richelieu.com/documents/docsGr/119/944/2/1199442/1412589_hd.jpg

vince dale
03-15-2020, 6:10 PM
Thanks Dave Sabo. Were did you find that hinge chart? Do they have one for full overlay?

Jon Nuckles
03-15-2020, 6:19 PM
Vince,
The Blum website has all of the documentation for their products. Most online retailers of Blum products also have this type of stuff.

vince dale
03-15-2020, 6:44 PM
Thanks Jon

Vince,
The Blum website has all of the documentation for their products. Most online retailers of Blum products also have this type of stuff.

scott vroom
03-15-2020, 6:50 PM
Go here: https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/hingesystems/clip-top-blumotion/downloads-videos/

Click on Brochure, download the concealed hinge brochure. Dave's hinge chart is on pg 63, also check out pg 12 for the Cliptop Bluemotion 110 hinge.

There are a number of other concealed hinges in the brochure. On pg 105 is their contact info. Call the 800 number for any questions and ask for tech support, including on how to read the brochure...it can be confusing first time through. Their technical support is excellent.800-438-6788

vince dale
03-15-2020, 9:16 PM
Thanks Scott. Just a little confusing! I think I got it figured out. LV carries 120 degree Clip tops but not sure of the height of the base plates. They are stamped '33' and LV website doesn't list the size.

Vince

Go here: https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/hingesystems/clip-top-blumotion/downloads-videos/

Click on Brochure, download the concealed hinge brochure. Dave's hinge chart is on pg 63, also check out pg 12 for the Cliptop Bluemotion 110 hinge.

There are a number of other concealed hinges in the brochure. On pg 105 is their contact info. Call the 800 number for any questions and ask for tech support, including on how to read the brochure...it can be confusing first time through. Their technical support is excellent.800-438-6788

scott vroom
03-17-2020, 3:42 PM
Vince, Blum's part numbering as marked on each component doesn't correlate well with brochure part numbers. My advice to you is to call tech support at the 800 number....they will answer all of your questions and give you some guidance on how to use the brochure.