PDA

View Full Version : OK, I admit it. I have a crack problem...

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 2:24 PM
Today while turning a cherry vase in the shape of an inverted bell my blank started to develop a crack. By the time I had the wall thickness down to about 3/8" this crack problem was starting to catch the scraper and I could see how this was soon going to develop into a serious crack issue with total loss of control and all the societal ills that befits such a deviant behavior. So, how did you guys kick your crack habits?;)

Or, for those of you like me that can't live without crack(s), what do you do to cover it up so no one will notice?:eek:

tod evans
12-23-2005, 2:34 PM
sunglasses and breath mints:)

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 2:56 PM
Tuck in your shirt

Wolf Kiessling
12-23-2005, 3:26 PM
Never, never, never try to hide a crack. I believe it is impossible. No matter what you , somehow or other it's gonna show.

I use this as an opportunity to decorate my turnings. All checks and cracks are filled with inlace or some other such material, usually turquoise color or other strong contrasting material. Occasionaly, I even enhance the crack and give it an exotic shape. Then, sometimes, when something doesn't cooperate and stays uncracked, I may deliberately mar it so I can do some decoration.

In any event, never look upon it as a problem. Instead, treat it as an opportunity.......

John Hart
12-24-2005, 5:50 AM
I agree with Wolf (and the other guys if you really think about it.:cool: )

I've had trouble getting an adhesive down in a crack and getting it to make a difference....especially since the crack wants to move more later. Taking a dremel and gouging out the crack, then filling with some attractive decorative epoxy stuff really pays off. Travis did some pretty cool stuff. I've had good success with ebony dust and coffee grounds to fill voids and cracks.

Jim Ketron
12-24-2005, 6:51 AM
Chris Is the piece Green or Dry?

Chris Barton
12-24-2005, 8:46 AM
Hi Jim,

This piece is green and I suspect that this particular crack problem is only going to get bigger. The crack is radial in nature (starts at the pith center of the growth rings and move perpendicular to the growth rings to the exterior of the wood.

Travis Stinson
12-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Coffee grounds and CA for a natural looking fill. For larger cracks, or for more contrast, mix some charcoal dust in with epoxy. I would try either only on dry pieces, before you finish turn it.

Jim Ketron
12-24-2005, 1:11 PM
Well looks like your just going to have to wait and see what it does.
Travis has some great tips on fixing them.;)

Bill Stevener
12-24-2005, 1:52 PM
Hi Chris,

Like Jim states not much you can do when in the green or wet state. Just let it dry or when dry, then tackle it. Now, if in the dry state, this is what I have done. When the turning is in the rough state and a crack appears, I load up a syringe, which you should have plenty of, and inject glue, your choice. Then capture the turning with hose clamps, the sizes are limitless, crank down on them, close up the crack and let it set for a day. Finish off your turning and for the most part the crack is gone, or one would note it as a natural line, or you would have to point it out. Works for me.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)