PDA

View Full Version : There I was, Mach III Razor in hand, when it struck me

bill epstein
03-11-2020, 4:42 PM
Why doesn’t Veritas, it would have to be Veritas, wouldn’t it, make a vibrating multi-blade Plane?

It would break the Internet. Imagine the demand for third party mods like variable frequency and the debates about various combinations of blades from Shick, Wilkinson, and Harry.

Non-grain-raising pre-shaves?

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 4:47 PM
The first thought that comes to mind is… Did North Carolina recently legalize recreational use? :cool:

jtk

Warren Mickley
03-11-2020, 4:48 PM
Veritas is having trouble understanding 18th century plane technology.

Joshua Lucas
03-11-2020, 4:49 PM
Like this? (https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/KP0800K)

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 4:50 PM

No, when it comes to mass production, metal bodies are easier to produce than wooden bodies.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 4:52 PM
make a vibrating multi-blade Plane?

Besides, on a hand plane isn't vibration called chatter?

jtk

bill epstein
03-11-2020, 5:47 PM

I thought about that then immediately rejected it for this consumer group...too practical.

mike stenson
03-11-2020, 6:18 PM
Here I was just thinking that I haven't seen an improvement over a well made/balanced safety razor fitted with a GOOD quality sharp blade. That still costs scads less than the fancy ones.

steven c newman
03-11-2020, 6:22 PM
And..there were actually hand planes made that used single and double edge razor blades...( Little Giant, anyone?) have one such plane right now....has a Wilkinson Sword in it.....

Frederick Skelly
03-11-2020, 7:11 PM
And..there were actually hand planes made that used single and double edge razor blades...( Little Giant, anyone?) have one such plane right now....has a Wilkinson Sword in it.....

There still are (sorta). LINK TO RALI PLANE (https://www.fine-tools.com/hobel1.html)

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 7:16 PM
There still are (sorta). LINK TO RALI PLANE (https://www.fine-tools.com/hobel1.html)

My eyes popped at the price of those until reading the description:

A Rali plane is a great tool for those without the time or skill to sharpen a blade.

Makes me think of P T Barnum and what he said about one being born every minute.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
03-11-2020, 7:51 PM
My eyes popped at the price of those until reading the description:

Makes me think of P T Barnum and what he said about one being born every minute.

jtk

I saw that too. I agree with you Jim!

steven c newman
03-11-2020, 8:06 PM
Hmmm....Yard sale finds for a dollar, if that...
And...it is soooo complicated...
Suppose someone will come along, and say how they bought a Hock blade for this.....

mike stenson
03-11-2020, 8:23 PM
Hmmm....Yard sale finds for a dollar, if that...
And...it is soooo complicated...
Suppose someone will come along, and say how they bought a Hock blade for this.....

Looks a bit chunky to shave with, I'd cut myself.

Derek Cohen
03-12-2020, 6:03 AM
The very best safety razor, in my experience ...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AwUAAOSwNixdnTjI/s-l640.jpg

and matching blades ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2354/4763/products/feather_blades_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1580987298

But they fail on Jarrah ... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Josko Catipovic
03-12-2020, 9:28 AM
I wonder how far we are from CNC planes.

mike stenson
03-12-2020, 10:19 AM

and matching blades ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree! Although, unfortunately we don't often get Jarrah so I have no idea how tooling works on it :)

Jim Matthews
03-12-2020, 7:30 PM

Right.

What lessons could anyone draw from a multi-million dollar company that ships product to satisfied, return customers Worldwide?

How's that book for us mere mortals coming?

Warren Mickley
03-13-2020, 7:10 AM
Right.

What lessons could anyone draw from a multi-million dollar company that ships product to satisfied, return customers Worldwide?

The lesson we learn is that marketing trumps all. It is much more important than product quality.

Rob Luter
03-13-2020, 8:00 AM

Ha. I guess you beat me to it.

https://cdn.makitatools.com/apps/cms/img/kp0/7146fd9c-0a2b-435e-b42b-a2e104a12331_kp0800k_k_1500px.png

George Yetka
03-13-2020, 8:20 AM
I wonder how far we are from CNC planes.

How about gps driven for perfectly flat panels. Like how bulldozers now flatten land. I suppose you could do this with a router as well

Rob Lee
03-13-2020, 8:27 AM
Is that what Norm uses???

:D

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AwUAAOSwNixdnTjI/s-l640.jpg

and matching blades ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2354/4763/products/feather_blades_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1580987298

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
03-13-2020, 8:41 AM
Is that what Norm uses???

Rob, someone needs to tell Norm to stand closer to his razor :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

bill epstein
03-13-2020, 8:51 AM
The lesson we learn is that marketing trumps all. It is much more important than product quality.

I'm left wondering how my tongue-in-cheek mention of Veritas due to their sometimes successful, sometimes not, innovations in centuries old tool technology has caused axes to be sharpened and torches lit all over town.

As a card-carrying old, fat, white-man I take a back seat to none in my reverence for the past. All my basic circuit designs ceased to evolve past 1930 or so.

I do bring every up to date useful technology to bear in the execution of circuits, though. There are those in my hobby who are aghast at my useage of solid state components like current inrush limiters and voltage regulators but when I feel they improve fidelity or reliability, I don't hesitate.

I just read about a company that makes Holdfasts from wire. Heavens!

Jim Koepke
03-13-2020, 10:51 AM
I just read about a company that makes Holdfasts from wire. Heavens!

0.75" spring wire would likely make a decent hold fast.

jtk

mike stenson
03-13-2020, 11:08 AM
0.75" spring wire would likely make a decent hold fast.

jtk

They do indeed.

Jim Matthews
03-13-2020, 9:10 PM
Single ended KT88 running as pentodes, or strapped?

You must drive some efficient transducer.

Farthest I waded into the Thermionic pond was Push-Pull Type 50 - glorious mid-range, no heft in the Bass.

bill epstein
03-13-2020, 9:47 PM
Single ended KT88 running as pentodes, or strapped?

You must drive some efficient transducer.

Farthest I waded into the Thermionic pond was Push-Pull Type 50 - glorious mid-range, no heft in the Bass.

You know your stuff.

That's one of a pair of push-pull Mono Blocks, 60 Watts per. Speakers are indeed high efficiency, 15" JBL 2226's with B&C DE-250 Horns. 97dB. The re-issue Gold Lion KT-88 is magical. The low end, being high efficiency, rolls off about 50 Hz but strong and real.

I was strictly a single ended, directly heated triode guy for many years with these speakers. Then this design, an update of the venerable Mullard 5-20 circuit came along. I built it and fell in love. Mahler Second is like sitting in the trombone section again and Who's Next at 90 dB+ is being there.

Jim Matthews
03-14-2020, 7:35 AM
Missed the itty bitty interstage in the photo.

Is the M 5-20 a Williamson derivative?

Jack Frederick
03-14-2020, 11:19 AM
While it is true that I have not been here that long, Bill, and don't know you well, I have followed your posts. As well, having shaved my head a couple times a week for the past 25 yrs I am familiar with assorted musings while under the knives, but here, Bill, you are starting to scare me!

bill epstein
03-14-2020, 1:14 PM
Where the Mullard circuit was once distinct from the Williamson, Morgan Jones, Valve Amplifiers page 432 http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/files/literature/Morgan_Jones_Valve_Amplifiers_Third_Edition.pdf has an excellent summary of both.

Over the years there has been an evolution that minimizes the differences to marry the positives of each.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/156699-mullard-5-20-kt88-pp-blocks.html

I built mine without negative feedback so wired the EF-86 in Triode Mode and used a lower Mu 12AT7 in place of the second stage 6DJ8 to deal with the increased, already high, sensitivity. 125k attenuation resistor on the inputs as well. Had a lot of help from a close friend, Steve Brown, and the rest of the real brainiacs at diyaudio. You may be seeing one of the two chokes in the very elegant, enormous power supply as an interstage transformer.

Your type 50 amp I'm sure was a good one. I had a UX-45 for a number of years with 1.8 lovely Watts but have come to agree that "there's no substitute for cubic inches". The 12 lb. motors in the JBL's really like Watts!

Mike Allen1010
03-16-2020, 8:22 PM
You know your stuff.

That's one of a pair of push-pull Mono Blocks, 60 Watts per. Speakers are indeed high efficiency, 15" JBL 2226's with B&C DE-250 Horns. 97dB. The re-issue Gold Lion KT-88 is magical. The low end, being high efficiency, rolls off about 50 Hz but strong and real.

I was strictly a single ended, directly heated triode guy for many years with these speakers. Then this design, an update of the venerable Mullard 5-20 circuit came along. I built it and fell in love. Mahler Second is like sitting in the trombone section again and Who's Next at 90 dB+ is being there.

Bill and Jim,

As a tone deaf, would be musician/audiophile your post really caught my interest. I don’t have near the technical expertise of you guys so am forced to compensate with $: my college student loan went for a pair of Vandersteen model two speakers and I’ve slid downhill ever since then.

In the absence of any worthwhile knowledge, I’ve opted for all tubes as big as I can find; currently running giant Audio Research- mono block amps and AR all tube preamp, digital front end into the biggest MagnaPlaners ( which my wife hates “they’re so big it makes our living room look like a freak show”!

Just listen to BB King live at Cook County jail is still awesome every time! The inescapable irony for me is when I was young my hearing was good but I couldn’t afford the Hi Fi equipment I wanted, now that I can my hearing sucks – I guess it means my boys will inherit a sound system they can enjoy?

All the best, Mike

Jim Matthews
03-16-2020, 9:06 PM
Drop me a PM, won't you?

If you're over 40 (like most of us in here) anything above 15 kHz is inaudible. Bill definitely has chops I lack - he makes his own amps, which my vision limits.

This is THE best time to be an audio consumer.
Quality and choice are abundant, at affordable cost.

Derek Cohen
03-17-2020, 6:15 AM
Bill and Jim,

As a tone deaf, would be musician/audiophile your post really caught my interest. I don’t have near the technical expertise of you guys so am forced to compensate with $: my college student loan went for a pair of Vandersteen model two speakers and I’ve slid downhill ever since then.

In the absence of any worthwhile knowledge, I’ve opted for all tubes as big as I can find; currently running giant Audio Research- mono block amps and AR all tube preamp, digital front end into the biggest MagnaPlaners ( which my wife hates “they’re so big it makes our living room look like a freak show”!

Just listen to BB King live at Cook County jail is still awesome every time! The inescapable irony for me is when I was young my hearing was good but I couldn’t afford the Hi Fi equipment I wanted, now that I can my hearing sucks – I guess it means my boys will inherit a sound system they can enjoy?

All the best, Mike

Mike, I used to dream of that system 35 years ago!

We even have the same taste in music (and, unfortunately, the same ears)! I am open for adoption :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
03-17-2020, 6:46 AM
I am open for adoption :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beware such offers. "Tiny, adorable Puppy free to good home." Turns out to be a Great Pyrenees with an insatiable appetite for upholstered sofas.

As if Mdme. Cohen would permit early parole!

Derek Cohen
03-17-2020, 7:43 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
03-17-2020, 8:53 AM
Another OF that can't hear and a wife less tolerant than Mike's but lives for the blues along with some "Red Dirt".

ken

Jim Matthews
03-17-2020, 2:59 PM
Greatest American music is played right there in your backyard. Ifn you can pat your foot in time, you still hear just fine.

bill epstein
03-17-2020, 5:25 PM
"I’ve opted for all tubes as big as I can find"

This big?

KR Audio Kronzilla with T-1610 tubes said to be derived from Allied WW II Battle Field Transceiver. The pic doesn't really show the scale, they're almost 12" tall. I had the pleasure years ago of living with these space heaters. They're mighty.

Wait, I found this one being held by my friend and mentor, The Wizard of Happy Valley"
I think Steve is saying something like, "mine's bigger".

Ron Bontz
03-18-2020, 10:13 AM
Well, a classical and jazz person, myself. I see lots of vinyl in that pic. and this is way over my head, as I sit hear listening to Amstel Quartet play Phillp Glass "Mishima".

bill epstein
03-18-2020, 11:45 AM
Well, a classical and jazz person, myself. I see lots of vinyl in that pic. and this is way over my head, as I sit hear listening to Amstel Quartet play Phillp Glass "Mishima".

Well, you blew up a mistaken pre-conception I had of Glass' works being 'cantata for three drowning cats'. Just listened to Mishima and Concerto for
Saxophone Quartet. Enjoyed both, thanks.

Jim Matthews
03-19-2020, 7:20 AM
Well, you blew up a mistaken pre-conception I had of Glass' works being 'cantata for three drowning cats'.

I had the misfortune of sitting through a John Cage "performance" as a young man.

Conventional forms for me, please.

I'll give a listen to anything featuring Pacquito D'Rivera.