PDA

View Full Version : recent additions...

Mike Becker
12-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Last evening while doing some last minute Christmas shopping my wife and I stopped into an antiques store. This store has always been kind to me where tools are concerned. This trip was no different. I found a like new Stanley #4 ($24) with a grooved sole and a Stanley #6 ($22) which requires some cleaning and a new tote. Both planes were made in the USA but it's the #6 that has my attention. I found some dates on the inside of it's body right behind the frog. Also what is stamped on it's blade made be of interest. I know very little of these tools as I'm at the very beginning of my neander career.

I take it it's been a while since this name has been used on Stanley tools.

Can anyone tell me anything about this #6 fore plane?

Thanks... Mike

Doug Shepard
12-23-2005, 1:32 PM
Nice score. I don't know the answer but you might want to check out http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html to see if you can find more info.

Steve Clardy
12-23-2005, 2:07 PM
I'm kind of new to plane dating, but the 6 is probably before 1935 or so.
Three patent dates.

Mike Becker
12-23-2005, 2:34 PM
Thanks for the reponse... I gave the link a try Doug and I learned I should be calling my #4 a #4C. Live and learn. And I'm not surprised by the date you have in your post Steve, I knew from the start this plane has been around a long time.

There's a couple of other things I have learned about these two planes by tearing them apart for a closer look. Both planes have cast iron yokes! Too bad the new planes didn't have these. Progress maybe???

Also, I failed to put this in my original post - both of these planes are Baileys.

Steve Clardy
12-23-2005, 3:06 PM
Cast iron yoke is good. I hate the newer ones, pressed metal.

Geoff Irvine
12-23-2005, 3:42 PM
Mike,
Try this link http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/main.html
Just remember this is a guide- went nuts with my no6 as base is about 1929/30 and frog 1933 type.
I just had a quick look at your photos and that iron seems to be a type 9 (1909) but those 3 patent dates would indiate a type 11 (1910-1918)... there is a study somewhere about frog types. Would you please post what your best guess is, thanks.

Mike Becker
12-23-2005, 4:33 PM
Geoff, so far I have to agree with you on your estimation that my #6 is a type 11 (1910-1918). After going thrue your link it is the same answer I come up with. Thanks!

Using your link too I found my #4C is a type 19 made in the late 1940's, maybe very early 1950's. I'm guessing this timeline due to the diagonal knurling on it's adjustment knob. I may be way off base tho'. I'm sure they would use up the old parts before making use of the new ones but you just never know...

I never knew this neander stuff was so addicting :rolleyes:

Geoff Irvine
12-23-2005, 5:37 PM
Mike,
Couple of other sites re dating:-
http://antique-used-tools.com/LeverCap2inchCompare.jpg
http://antique-used-tools.com/Bailey4_5FrogCompare.jpg

Just watch out this can drive you crazy especially when a plane has a 'dynamic' history and has a number of 'type' parts...:confused::confused::confused:

Alan Turner
12-23-2005, 6:38 PM
Nice score. My quick and dirty way of dating is rosewood = pre WWII; black tote is late 40's and 50's. Pre WWII is better, or at least htat is my thought, but the 50's were still fine years.

Doug Littlejohn
12-27-2005, 5:40 PM
a type 10 or 11. THe body's were pretty much the same, the 3 patent dates are the giveaway. The Blade I think is proper for Type 10, Type 11 would have the Stanley, etc. in a inverted triangle shape. The knob and tote both looked correct as does the adjustment wheel.

So, I would be pretty sure it was a Type 10 and if not, a Type 11 with a Type 10 blade.

BTW - That is my most favorite version of the Stanley/Baileys. I have several and am working on replacing my others with those types. This is one of the more collectible types from my experience. I just love Type 11's, you have a real nice gloat!!

It iw VERY tunable and should yield and extremely, well perfomring plane.

Enjoy,
Sherwood