PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know a saw set by A. Stillman 1848?

Gareth Richmond
03-09-2020, 2:26 AM
HI there I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to use Does anyone know a saw set by A. Stillman pat. 1848? Im totally stumped and its driving me a bit batty I cant find out anywhere how used even there seems to be quite a few available. Cheers

Tom M King
03-09-2020, 8:41 AM
I doubt that is for hand saws-probably logging saws.

edited to add: Google found plenty: http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw%20set%20website/wrestsawset.htm

Gareth Richmond
03-09-2020, 9:28 AM
Thanks for your reply unfortunately i dont think I was clear enough in my original post. The picture I posted is actually from the website you linked to. I have found a lot of links to various sellers and sites I even found the patent application on line (its the attached) PDF. But I cant figure actually how to use the thing im to dumb to interpret his patent application and was hoping someone smarter then me mite have already gone done this road.I guess it could be for a logging saw but id be kinda surprised because it is really small. like six inches long.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2020, 11:28 AM
I guess it could be for a logging saw but id be kinda surprised because it is really small. like six inches long.

It doesn't have to be large to put a little bend on the tip of a saw tooth.

jtk

Gareth Richmond
03-09-2020, 1:58 PM
Good point. oh well i mean i can why the design never caught on. Its just my missus is named A. Stillman and thought itd be neat to show her how it works. Anyway thanks very much for the responses much appreciated.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2020, 2:04 PM
Stillman and thought itd be neat to show her how it works.

On a large saw, the adjustable part nearest the handle is placed on the top of a tooth. The thumb screw at the far end of the set/wrest is set and used as a stop against the side of the saw (or lower part of the tall teeth found on large saws).

jtk

mike stenson
03-09-2020, 2:07 PM
It doesn't have to be large to put a little bend on the tip of a saw tooth.

jtk

and one man bucking saws are not huge either :)

Jim Koepke
03-09-2020, 2:30 PM
and one man bucking saws are not huge either :)

Mine is only 3 or 4 feet long. :D

jtk

Gareth Richmond
03-09-2020, 5:06 PM
THANKS everybody I really appreciate it learned a few things today like the fact i should probably should know bucks saws arent necessarily to big considering I got one hanging over the back door. Ha ha. Well im gonna try and tune up one of my (least favourite) saws with the stillman set this weekend fingers crossed. Thanks Again

Tom M King
03-09-2020, 5:57 PM
I guess it might have been a precision advance over the simple "saw wrests" that just had slots in a piece of metal. It looks like these have some adjustment to them.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2020, 7:18 PM
I guess it might have been a precision advance over the simple "saw wrests" that just had slots in a piece of metal. It looks like these have some adjustment to them.

Yes, it looks like it can be adjusted for how deep on the tooth is being set and the angle or width of set.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-10-2020, 10:31 PM
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KIbMftTGhebW4A5SBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0 MWJiYTFvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjk1MzZfMQRzZW MDcGl2cw--?p=lee+valley+saw+sets+for+sale&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee

I use this set.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 12:08 AM
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KIbMftTGhebW4A5SBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0 MWJiYTFvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjk1MzZfMQRzZW MDcGl2cw--?p=lee+valley+saw+sets+for+sale&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee

I use this set.

Those are some strange looking saw sets:

The search term is > lee valley saw sets for sale < People have made mention of using a screw driver to set saw teeth, but a chisel?

jtk

lowell holmes
03-12-2020, 10:28 AM
If you place a saw in a vice you can set the teeth with a screwdriver. You place a flat screwdriver between two teeth and twist. Skip two teeth and twist again until all teeth are set.

Jim Koepke
03-12-2020, 12:01 PM
If you place a saw in a vice you can set the teeth with a screwdriver. You place a flat screwdriver between two teeth and twist. Skip two teeth and twist again until all teeth are set.

That may work on most of our shop saws, but the saws the Stillman set was made to work on might not respond:

Some of the lumber saws would need a might large screwdriver.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-12-2020, 2:11 PM
I agree.
My first post was supposed to show the Lee Valley saw set.

Jim Koepke
03-12-2020, 2:34 PM
I agree.
My first post was supposed to show the Lee Valley saw set.

Searching the Lee Valley site didn't reveal a saw setting tool. It did show sets of other things sold with saws.

My recollection is they used to have a well liked saw set with two models, one for large teeth and one for smaller teeth.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-12-2020, 2:35 PM
That is probably the one that I have. I've had it a long time.

Jim Koepke
03-12-2020, 2:45 PM
That is probably the one that I have. I've had it a long time.

There used to be a lot of different saw sets in my kit. Now they are all Stanley #42Xes. One of them has a modified point for smaller teeth.

jtk