PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pump Motor Screams

John Goodin
03-08-2020, 9:14 PM
The motor to the pool pump is two years old (1.5 HP). Recently the shaft seal separating the wet side from the motor leaked. Apparently it was a long time before I realized it and had a chance to replace the seal. Afterwards the motor screams when in operation which has annoy the neighbor. The shaft also stops spinning almost immediately after the power is shut off whereas, before, it would spin a little before coming to a complete stop much like a table saw. I installed a new shaft seal today thinking that maybe that was the issue but there is no real change. At this point I am wondering if the chlorinated water corroded the bearings on the motor. If so, where would be a good place to have the bearings replaced? If not, does anyone know of a possible problem/solution as I would like to stop annoying the neighbor. A DIY is not an option because of other time commitments. Thanks in advance.

Bill Dufour
03-08-2020, 10:04 PM
On my sisters pool pump when the motor went I was able to find the exact replacement pump. Split the impeller case under a big ring clamp and switched in a new 1/2 case and all of the rotating parts and the motor. Did not touch any plumbing at all. I could have taken it to the bench and changed bearings at my leisure but i do not need a taper shaft motor.
Bil lD

Doug Dawson
03-08-2020, 10:15 PM
The motor to the pool pump is two years old (1.5 HP). Recently the shaft seal separating the wet side from the motor leaked. Apparently it was a long time before I realized it and had a chance to replace the seal. Afterwards the motor screams when in operation which has annoy the neighbor. The shaft also stops spinning almost immediately after the power is shut off whereas, before, it would spin a little before coming to a complete stop much like a table saw. I installed a new shaft seal today thinking that maybe that was the issue but there is no real change. At this point I am wondering if the chlorinated water corroded the bearings on the motor. If so, where would be a good place to have the bearings replaced? If not, does anyone know of a possible problem/solution as I would like to stop annoying the neighbor. A DIY is not an option because of other time commitments. Thanks in advance.

You might try asking this question in the forums on www.troublefreepool.com (http://www.troublefreepool.com), the best site on the interwebs for this sort of thing (or anything else pool-related, IMO.) The depth of knowledge there is immense.

Bruce Wrenn
03-09-2020, 9:15 PM
When water leaked past seal, it rusted impeller end bearing on motor. Most likely the bearing is the common 6203 2 RS, which can be had from Fastenal for less than three bucks each.

Doug Dawson
03-10-2020, 12:17 AM
When water leaked past seal, it rusted impeller end bearing on motor. Most likely the bearing is the common 6203 2 RS, which can be had from Fastenal for less than three bucks each.

He said he didn't want to DIY, which colors things quite a bit.

Bob Glenn
03-10-2020, 5:47 AM
Guess it's time to pony up and buy a new one, then, eh?

Bill Dufour
03-10-2020, 9:27 AM
Change it soon because that bearing will overheat the plastic end cap/bearing housing and melt it. Then you have to toss the entire motor. Switch it out now and the housing is likely still good so you can replace the bearing and have a spare motor for next time.
Bil lD

Doug Dawson
03-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Guess it's time to pony up and buy a new one, then, eh?

Yep. Or alternatively, fasting and prayer.

If you (directed to the OP) _are_ going to replace it, I would suggest a variable speed pump. I replaced a 20-year-old Polaris one-speed with a variable speed Jacuzzi, and the difference to the electric bill was impressive, the darn thing paid for itself in less than a year, including the installation (which came with a 5-year warranty.)