PDA

View Full Version : Is this Japanese Chisel as magical as it looks in this fellows hands? I want one!

bill epstein
03-08-2020, 6:20 PM
Waiting for the ball game to come on today, (Go Tribe!) I came across this video https://youtu.be/f7HaAZ1ugcA

Yes it's soft wood and the water trick is debatable but, omigosh, it looks like he's cutting Brie! My chisels are sharp but they don't do that. I come from a long line of scoundrels and refugees and am constitutionally unable to spend on the deluxe but I would quickly drop a Franklin on one of those.

What's it called and how do I get one? Just cruise on over to Woodcraft and, "excuse me, sir...."?

Jim Koepke
03-08-2020, 7:12 PM
IMO, it is the craftsman more than the chisel.

jtk

scott lipscomb
03-08-2020, 7:58 PM
I think you are going to need the shoes, too.

Jim Matthews
03-08-2020, 9:07 PM
There's a hidden cost to owning fine Japanese steel : you'll need associated waterstones designed to keep them sharp.

Results shown in the linked videos come after mastery of getting good blades right.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/guide-to-japanese-chisels/

Joshua Lucas
03-09-2020, 1:04 PM
I only skimmed the video, but did he ever pare the end grain? That's the real test of chisel sharpness IMO. All I saw was paring cross-grain which doesn't require an especially sharp chisel at all.

Prashun Patel
03-09-2020, 1:16 PM
In this case, I don't think it's the craftsman or the tool; it's the joint.

I don't mean to poo poo anyone's skills, but paring a lapped joint like that is quite easy because everything is cross grain. It can be done with the most basic of tools and ability. The sawing is good, tho

steven c newman
03-09-2020, 1:24 PM
Yes, he did indeed pare end grain....and chop end grain.....And, yes I watched the entire video, and then watched a couple others, as well......sound didn't quite mesh up to the action, towards the end....

Hmmm, must have been a different video I watched....about that half blind goose neck joint.....but with the same chisels, and saw.....

Jim Koepke
03-09-2020, 2:28 PM
IMO, it is the craftsman more than the chisel.

jtk

I only skimmed the video, but did he ever pare the end grain? That's the real test of chisel sharpness IMO. All I saw was paring cross-grain which doesn't require an especially sharp chisel at all.

In this case, I don't think it's the craftsman or the tool; it's the joint.

I don't mean to poo poo anyone's skills, but paring a lapped joint like that is quite easy because everything is cross grain. It can be done with the most basic of tools and ability. The sawing is good, tho

As mentioned in my previous post, it isn't the chisel as much as it is the person who sharpens it and uses it:

This is a 1" Buck Brothers socket chisel on cedar.

Same chisel as above, this time on borg in a box fir.

This is a Union Hardware 1-1/4" chisel used on cedar.

One doesn't have to pay big money to get big results.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
03-10-2020, 7:20 AM
Waiting for the ball game to come on today, (Go Tribe!) I came across this video https://youtu.be/f7HaAZ1ugcA

Yes it's soft wood and the water trick is debatable but, omigosh, it looks like he's cutting Brie! My chisels are sharp but they don't do that. I come from a long line of scoundrels and refugees and am constitutionally unable to spend on the deluxe but I would quickly drop a Franklin on one of those.

What's it called and how do I get one? Just cruise on over to Woodcraft and, "excuse me, sir...."?

I don't think you need to spend $100 to get a chisel that can do that. The Ashley Iles are about $30 each, depending on the size. I admit to thinking about the Japanese chisels from time to time, but the Iles were a significant upgrade from my hardware store set, and the price is reasonable.

Phil Mueller
03-10-2020, 10:46 AM
If, however, you do wish to look into Japanese chisels, google Covington and Sons Tools. Stan Covington lives in Japan and sources edge tools directly from Japanese makers. A number of us SMC members have purchased from him. His site also has an extensive blog on sharpening, to give you an idea of what’s involved.

Tom M King
03-10-2020, 2:57 PM
There are reasons that Japanese chisels are great, but any chisel that you can get that sharp will pare wood as good. Here is a picture I already had in the gallery here, of an old 10 buck Marples chisel rolling up ridges left by a fine toothed backsaw on a tenon cheek offcut. The lighter shaving in the background is the one in the micrometer.

steven c newman
03-10-2020, 4:07 PM
Or...like this Timber Framer firmer chisel....
That somehow manage to put a 1/4" cut on the left index finger....and I never felt....Chisel is 1-1/4" wide....but, I don't think it would be a paring chisel..
Only markings on it, are 2 L.L. stamped in the back of the blade....Doubt IF L.L.Bean sold a line of chisels...

Aiden Pettengill
03-10-2020, 7:03 PM
I love my L.L. Bean being from Maine but I'm going to go on a limb and say that that is something that they would never have made.

Steven Lee, NC
03-13-2020, 10:07 AM
shhhhhhhh... lol

As mentioned in my previous post, it isn't the chisel as much as it is the person who sharpens it and uses it:

One doesn't have to pay big money to get big results.

jtk