PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it!

Corey Hallagan
12-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I ordered the PSI Turncrafters Pro Lathe last night from PSI. Can't wait to get it! Shold be here in a week or so. Soon I will be boring you with pics of my stuff.
I have read alot of posts from some of the noobies here that have been very helpful. I suppose I should turn something before I actually worry about finishing but I have read where finishes like Shellwax are not very durable and need renewed after a short time. Can someone advise me on more durable finishes? Also, I have read bits and pieces on BLO or Poly with Super Glue, can someone explain that to me?

Thanks,
Corey

Rich Stewart
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
I'll let the other more experienced guys and gals answer the question but I just wanted to welcome you to the wonderful world of turning. Got all your other stuff yet? Like the saws and drills and this and that and the other thing. Have a great time. I know you will.

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Allright Corey! But I thought you did this a few days ago. No matter. Welcome to the dark side.

As for finishes, your best bet is to just do what ever Professor Hart reccommends. He operates a government funded underground laboratory in Clevetown; and generates an ungodly number of conconctions on a seemingly daily basis. Most of them really suck, but once in a while he comes through with something that sucks just a little bit. Just be careful with any of the recipes that include boiled or naturalized nitroglycerin

Corey Hallagan
12-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Andy, my previous post was where I admitted to being sucked into lathedum from peer pressure :) and committed myself to purchasing one of these. I had to wait to actually order it until all the Christmas shopping etc. was done! So she is officially on it's way now.
Rich, thanks, yes, I pretty much have the tools I need, drill press, table saw etc. I have been woodworking on and off for about 20 years, just never got into the lathe thing before. Under my profile my website link is there and you can see some photos of my shop makeover that happened last april.
Thanks,
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Congrats Corey. I am happy for you. We'll have at least three of us now fumbling around.

John Miliunas
12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey, congrats Corey!!! :D You have now been officially assimilated! Feels good, don't it?:)

Hey Bernie, I've had a lathe for several years now and, if it's of any consequence, I'm still fumbling around on it!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2005, 1:07 PM
Ok then John make that 4 of us fumbling around.:D

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 1:33 PM
Make it Five!

John Miliunas
12-23-2005, 1:59 PM
Make it Five!

Yeahhhhh....Riiiiiiiiiight! Sheeeesh! I only wish I could "fumble around" as nice as you do, Andy!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
12-23-2005, 2:49 PM
Congrats Corey- as Tyler would say, Welcome to the Dark Side.:D You are going to love your new Barbie Doll.....:eek: ;)

Ernie Nyvall
12-23-2005, 4:35 PM
Congratulations Corey!!

As far as a durable finish it depends on what you are turning and what it will be used for, and how fast you want it ready to be used. If it's a bowl for using with food stuff, I'd just use mineral oil and maybe beeswax, and there is not (that I know of) a finish for this kind of use that will last long. For longer lasting on pens or decorative items, I use Deft brush on lacquer. Some use poly which may last longer... I just don't care for it. John Hart has come up with a very nice looking finish. Not sure how long it will last though. Glenn Hodges has a concoction that looks great too... BLO, varnish, and turpentine I believe are the ingredients. Then there's the finishes that start with BLO or Watco Natural that really bring out the figure in the wood.

The December issue of Woodworkers Journal has an article on Finishing on the lathe and you might post this same question on SMC's Finishing forum... Jim Becker has turned just a couple of things.:D

Ernie

Mark Cothren
12-23-2005, 7:23 PM
Nice goin' Corey! Can't wait to see some of your round work!

Bob Noles
12-23-2005, 8:28 PM
Corey,

A big congrats and one word of advice.

DON'T BUILD A BENCH! :eek: :D :p

We can all fumble together in the black hole now.

Watch your mail :) :)

Jim Becker
12-23-2005, 8:59 PM
Haa haa!! Another one is assimilated into the spinny thing addition!! Welcome, Corey!!

Corey Hallagan
12-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys! I really do wonder what would be the best option for me to mount the lathe. I don't think my bench top would be optimal heighth for turning yet, I think mounting it to plywood and claimping it to my workmate is probably to low. Any ideas here guys?

Corey

Bob Yarbrough
12-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Just have fun!!!! Learn as you go and you will figure out what height YOUR comfortable with.

Bob

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Just have fun!!!! Learn as you go and you will figure out what height YOUR comfortable with.

Bob

Corey - Bob is right. Start out at the elbow, Then go low, then try going higher. Eventually you'll find your unique sweet spot.

Rich Stewart
12-24-2005, 2:09 AM
I saw the pictures of your shop. You know what they say? They say that a clean shop is a sign of a sick mind. Better dirty that up a little or people will be wonderin about you.

John Hart
12-24-2005, 5:38 AM
Make it Five!

Six

Fumbling is all I do!!!!

Congratulations Corey....Bet you're anxious! We all mess with finishes on a daily basis, so I'm sure you won't be any different. The unique attribute to finishing on the lathe as opposed to flat work is that you now have the option to apply your finish to a moving object....so friction heat comes into play. This can be used to your advantage and the universe of combinations and tecniques is expansive!!! Down right fun! Welcome to the Vortex! :)

Bob Reeve
12-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Corey,

MAke it seven, I received the same lathe for Christmas last year and until this year all I had made were pens. I just finished making a slew of bottle stoppers for presents. Now on to bowls. Good luck and much fun.