PDA

View Full Version : Doctored Up Baked Beans

Dave Lehnert
03-07-2020, 10:55 PM
At a family gathering we were talking about how we fix baked beans. Get a can and doctor them up.
How do you doctor up your baked beans?

Van Camps baked beans.
Mustard
Ketchup
bacon
Brown sugar

Prashun Patel
03-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Onions and Indian spices like cumin and mustard seeds.

Doug Dawson
03-08-2020, 12:39 AM
At a family gathering we were talking about how we fix baked beans. Get a can and doctor them up.
How do you doctor up your baked beans?

Van Camps baked beans.
Mustard
Ketchup
bacon
Brown sugar

Cut it out with the brown sugar, and add minced burger meat, it's more effective. When McDonalds stopped adding beef tallow to their frying oil, their fries immediately went down a notch, to become merely mundane. A little goes a long way. It doesn't have to be "chili", but it helps.

Jim Koepke
03-08-2020, 3:05 AM
A recent reread of the labels on a lot of my favorite canned beans has made me adjust my eating habits.

My favorite doctoring of beans was with chili. To one can of Dennison's Chili ad ~1/4 cup (or more) of BBQ sauce and ~!/3 (or more) of Pace medium Picante Sauce.

Chopped onion and jalapeños to taste.

Good chili.

Now instead my chili is cooked up in a large batch using fresh meat and vegetables. Just as good, probably better for me.

jtk

Rob Luter
03-08-2020, 9:01 AM
Add cubes of smoked pork belly or Texas style smoked brisket. Add some yellow mustard, brown sugar, and chopped onions. Bake in a bean crock, covered, for two or three hours. Never not yummy.

Peter Kelly
03-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Not that much more effort to make them from scratch. The results are well worth it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/best-barbecue-beans-recipe.html

https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans/products/cranberry-bean

Bill Dufour
03-08-2020, 1:39 PM
I add green pickle relish to the finished product. A little cooking wine in the pot helps most stuff as well as seasoned pepper(the no salt kind). My wife convinced me to buy the hottest version of hot sauce. It costs no more and it lastslonger since you do not use as much. A little goes a long way.
Bil lD

George Bokros
03-08-2020, 2:51 PM
Bush's original baked beans, some ketchup, onions, light brown sugar, some bacon.

Mike Henderson
03-08-2020, 3:48 PM
Bush's original baked beans, some ketchup, onions, light brown sugar, some bacon.

This is how I do it. There's a difference between baked beans and chili and the way I make each is very different, including using different beans, and different cooking. Baked beans are (naturally) baked while chili is cooked on the stove.

Mike

Adam Grund
03-08-2020, 3:57 PM

That’s how my mom made (makes) them, really the only way I’ve ever known. She drains the sauce off the canned beans too.
She never measures anything, and I’m Not a huge ketchup fan, so I’m always delighted when they’re on the sweeter side rather than soupy (ketchupy)
Said an old ex boyfriends mom when she was a teen taught her that recipe.

Stephen Tashiro
03-08-2020, 6:39 PM
One of my least favorite dishes as a child was from a can that contained beans and little links of hot dogs. Does hat food have anything to do with baked beans?

Mike Henderson
03-08-2020, 7:07 PM
One of my least favorite dishes as a child was from a can that contained beans and little links of hot dogs. Does hat food have anything to do with baked beans?

Beanie weenies. When I was in college I used to eat that. Cheap and quick.

There was a name for those little weenies in the can but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Mike

Gary Ragatz
03-08-2020, 8:05 PM
LOML and I favor savory over sweet. I start with Bush's "less sugar" "lower sodium" variety and add some onion, diced thick-cut smoked bacon, some minced jalapeno or chipotle in adobo sauce, and chopped cilantro. I know a lot of folks don't care for cilantro, but it's a staple in our kitchen.

Ken Combs
03-08-2020, 8:08 PM
Whatever your recipe, (and most of these are similar to mine), cook them in the smoker. I like cherry scraps, others like oak or mesquite. Any of them will improve your beans!
I cook them at the same time the brisket, ribs or whatever is smoking.

Ken Combs
03-08-2020, 8:10 PM
LOML and I favor savory over sweet. I start with Bush's "less sugar" "lower sodium" variety and add some onion, diced thick-cut smoked bacon, some minced jalapeno or chipotle in adobo sauce, and chopped cilantro. I know a lot of folks don't care for cilantro, but it's a staple in our kitchen.

I like it too. But, I read an article recently that explained why some people really dislike it. Some inherit a gene that makes it taste like soap!

Beans work really well using leftover brisket or rib meat chopped really fine. Too bad such leftovers are a rarity!

Bill Dufour
03-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Believe it or not the town of Santa Maria Califorina has there own beans. Pinquito beans,grown only near there. It is the bean served with Santa Maria style tri-tip barbeque. The tri-tip was also invented there.
Bil lD.

Derek Meyer
03-10-2020, 7:26 PM
I make my own for potlucks and holidays. 1 pound of ground beef sirloin, 1 pound of ground pork, 1 pound of bacon, 8 cans of beans (chili, pinto, and red), and my own sauce, with a ketchup base but about 20 other ingredients. By playing with the amount of ingredients in the sauce, I can make them sweet, tangy, or spicy, or just about any combination.

For added depth of flavor, try adding a little bit of coffee and a little bit of dark chocolate (I use baking chocolate). It adds to the complexity of the flavors in the sauce. I mix my sauce in a saucepan on the stove and cook it over low heat for about 45 minutes before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I usually cook the beans in a large crock pot for about 4-5 hours on low. This makes for easy cooking and an easy serving dish for parties.

Derek

Chris Fairbanks
03-11-2020, 1:45 AM
No matter what I do to spruce up mine I fine a few hours in the smoker with some hickory and cherry takes them to another level. Not sure if you have access to a smoker but if you do, add all your spices, sugar, bacon, etc into the beans and then 2-3 hours in the smoker and you will have the best “homemade” beans you have ever tasted. Good luck

Jim Koepke
03-11-2020, 11:56 AM
My wife convinced me to buy the hottest version of hot sauce. It costs no more and it lastslonger since you do not use as much. A little goes a long way.

There are so many different flavors of "hot sauce" from the different peppers used. For me, good old Tabasco Sauce is good for heat. Dave's Insanely Hot Sauce is also good and has a different flavor. Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce is okay but my preference is Tabasco.

I like it too. But, I read an article recently that explained why some people really dislike it. Some inherit a gene that makes it taste like soap!

Cilantro, savory and marjoram do have flavors constituents that effect some people that way.

Believe it or not the town of Santa Maria Califorina has there own beans. Pinquito beans,grown only near there.

S&W has had a canned bean product called Pinquitos. It hasn't been in the stores of late. Makes me now wonder if there was a smaller crop recently?

jtk