PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw too big for garage? or Festool Domino/Tracksaw?

Patrick Irish
03-07-2020, 4:07 PM
Debating if I should pull the trigger on a laguna bandsaw thats about 5 hours of driving for me to get. It's a 5hp, italian made model. Owner is sending me photos later. Sounds like an Lt 18 or 24 which is a large saw for a 2 car garage BUT I won't be in my current house forever, maybe another year or 2.

I was thinking about using tax refund on a festool domino 700 and ts75 track saw BUT this bandsaw popped up.

The table is 2x3' which is large.

Currently have a 14" jet that I don't really like. Belt tension is lacking among other things.

I would certainly have the laguna forever.

I'm debating if I should get it and deal with the space issue for now. It will fit height wise. I'll have to tilt it with several guys to get it in. Being able to resaw with accuracy and speed compared to my 14" is something I'd like.

That said.....we're having our first child in July so time in garage will be less. I'm wondering if a domino and tracksaw would be used more since there would be less setup time for projects....at least that's what I think.

Thanks in advance for the tips and info.

lowell holmes
03-07-2020, 4:19 PM
I have a 14" Jet with a riser block and an after market tension wheel.
I also have the extended table.
I have absolutely no issues.

Ted Calver
03-07-2020, 4:39 PM
I have a Laguna 24" that required tipping to get into the garage. I hired Two Men and a Truck, with lift gate, to move it. One really big guy tilted it back onto his shoulder and got it into the garage with very little problem. A couple of strong guys should be able to handle something similar.

nicholas mitchell
03-07-2020, 4:42 PM
You can get the Festool stuff anytime. Might not get a better bandsaw if it’s a good deal. Bandsaw all the way in my opinion.

Jim Becker
03-07-2020, 5:07 PM
You can get the Festool stuff anytime. Might not get a better bandsaw if it’s a good deal. Bandsaw all the way in my opinion.
I kinda agree with this comment...opportunity is what it is. You'll still want to keep that 14" saw, however, for running narrow blades.

Bill Dufour
03-07-2020, 5:08 PM
A bandsaw does not really require much setup time. Maybe you slack off the tension on the blade after use. If the bandsaw is under $1,000 I would get it now unless you plan to build a whole kitchen of cabinets before the baby is born.
If it is three phase you will need a converter of some kind. 30-40 amp service regardless.
Bil lD

Mike Kees
03-07-2020, 5:53 PM
I would buy the bandsaw,especially if it is a good deal. A bigger saw like that will run circles around a 14'' as far as capacity ,power,ability to tension real blades...Everything.

Tom Trees
03-07-2020, 6:21 PM
Best of luck on the journey :):):):):)

Tom

Richard Coers
03-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Rent a tilt back dolly and the bandsaw will go in easily. Your lack of upcoming garage time works the same for Festool tools or bandsaw, or really all of your woodworking equipment! Oh yeah, and any of your other hobbies too.

Rick Potter
03-08-2020, 4:11 AM
I got my 24" Agazzani under the 7' high garage door of my shop by tilting it on a dolly.

Well, actually I was about to attempt it when my two lawn guys said, 'wait a minute, let us do that'. Took less than a minute. My grandson and I did get it off the pickup though.

PS: Mine is single phase, but be aware it still takes a 30A 220V circuit.

Nick Shattuck
03-08-2020, 4:34 AM

This is an excellent point. Just make it work, where there is a will, there is a way.

Rich Engelhardt
03-08-2020, 5:54 AM
Bingo! I'll jump on that bandwagon too.

Matt Day
03-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Just make sure you can still afford diapers, and college for the kid, and retirement for you. Too many people use tax refunds on things rather than savings.

That being said, hard to turn down a deal! Festool is a luxury.

Jim Becker
03-08-2020, 5:08 PM
What's a tax refund? LOL 'Never get those...on purpose. ;)

Mike Cutler
03-08-2020, 6:14 PM
Patrick

There is quite a bit of difference between a band saw and a track saw. They kind of don't really do the same things, but compliment each other well.
If it were me, I would get the bandsaw. I have a Jet 14" with all the after market whizbangs, and on it's best day resawing, it's no match whatsoever for my 18" Rikon 340. It's not even a contest.
Go for the band saw, unless you have a very purpose specific use for the TS-75. ( I have one of those also. )

Tom M King
03-08-2020, 6:42 PM
Kind of hard to resaw with a track saw.

A large bandsaw is almost another tool entirely, compared to a 14" bandsaw. They both runs bands, but beyond that, the little one can't come close to what the big one will do (says an owner of a 24", 14", and two 10" bandsaws). Being able to tension a 1" band, with big teeth, will leave you never wanting to resaw anything on a 14" again. I sold all my 105" resaw bands the day after we unloaded the 24", and ran something through it.

Kind of like Yogi said about the fork in the road, when you come up on a great deal, take it.

jeff norris 2011
03-08-2020, 8:56 PM
BIG bandsaws do one thing really well and not much else. If you want a resaw beast and make straight cuts in big wood, go for it. BUT you most likely need to keep you 14" saw if you like to cut curves on your BS.

So if you can't have two saws (budget or room constraints) a 24" beast may not be right for you.

nicholas mitchell
03-08-2020, 9:21 PM
BIG bandsaws do one thing really well and not much else. If you want a resaw beast and make straight cuts in big wood, go for it. BUT you most likely need to keep you 14" saw if you like to cut curves on your BS.

So if you can't have two saws (budget or room constraints) a 24" beast may not be right for you.

You can’t cut curves on a big bandsaw?

Patrick Irish
03-08-2020, 10:20 PM
Big bandsaw it is. Hopefully will get it next weekend. I've bought and sold enough to know what can happen in a week when both parties are many miles apart.

Figuring out how to get it has been fun. My 2001 yukon xl (suburban) doesn't have a hitch, it was sold when the SUV lived it's first 30k miles lowered. My 1988 dodge ram 50 has a ball on the bumper but the saw at 720lbs plus trailer, that'd be risky.

Brother in laws ford lightning has expired tags and a broken trans cooler bracket. The bracket is an easy fix though.

Soo....I bought a hitch and hope to get it thursday if shipping is fast enough. I plan to rent a trailer and load it vertically. I really don't want to take the big table off and lay down and struggle getting it back up. I figure I can strap it down like crazy. I may even have them put it on a pallet and then pallet jack out on to the driveway. It does have the mobility kit so maybe with enough guy, slowly wheeling it down the trailer and tilting into the garage wouldn't be a problem.

Seller didn't come down in price but for $2,000 I figure that it's a good price considering it was $5k new and the saw comes with several blades, mobility kit, and resaw fence. If I find I'm not using it enough I can sell it and maybe be out only a little.

Also forcing me to finally get a hitch which will come in hand I think more down the line.

I'm getting photos tomorrow and will probably send him a deposit.

Matthew Hills
03-08-2020, 11:02 PM
You can cut curves on a big BS; and the large table is nice.
The big reason people keep a 2nd bandsaw for curves is to avoid the hassle of exchanging the blades.
A big saw's guides may also not work real well with a narrow blade, and you should be careful that you don't accidentally overtension a narrow blade...

Matt

Tom Trees
03-08-2020, 11:47 PM
I definitely would take the table off for a few reasons,
If its the same as my Griggio/ACM 24" SNA600, then all that is holding the table is a single bolt.
Bandsaws are quite narrow top heavy and would fight you if you tried to move it off a trailer vertically.
It can be wobbled with a finger or two if pushed from the topside,
The machine will be easier to move with the help of a dolly and a few say 4" fenceposts and a bit of carpet or auld jacket.

I have removed the table many times, hands on infeed outfeed ends and butt my head against the cabinet.
Make sure to have some thick planks that can clear your feet, to sit it down against something beforehand.
If you wanted to play it safe get some timbers that would prop the table.from either side also.

As said above a good way to get a bandsaw from upright and onto its spine is to take it down from the column side,
It wont weigh anything as the weight is keen to keep the machine uppright, until its pivoted beyond somewhere around 45 degrees, then a sawhorse would be nice to take the weight, so you can change positions and lay it down.

Presuming a tall truck costs more than a trailer.

jeff norris 2011
03-08-2020, 11:57 PM
You can’t cut curves on a big bandsaw?

depends on the size, most big band saws don't to do well with narrow blades. Sure you can make it work though.

Mike Cutler
03-09-2020, 7:38 AM

Jeff
I am going to politely disagree with you on this one. I do understand your point though.
I've seen some big bandsaws running 1/8" blades. It takes guide changes, but they can definitely do finer work.
One fellow creeker, about 20 minutes north of me, has a 36" Moak that has a 3/8" blade on it normally, and he can change to 1/8" blades quite easily.
It's the guide design that will have an impact on blade selection, but guides can be changed.

Tom M King
03-09-2020, 8:17 AM
I took the table off of the 24" Centauro, and it wasn't really that big of a job. I would take the table off to not risk damage to the trunnions.

Jim Becker
03-09-2020, 9:55 AM
Patrick

There is quite a bit of difference between a band saw and a track saw. They kind of don't really do the same things, but compliment each other well.

I think it's a matter of "either or for funding", not as alternative machines. :)

-----

Patrick...congratulations! I hope everything goes smoothly with the transaction and subsequent transportation. I don't think you're going to be able to wheel that down off a trailer on its mobility kit...most of the time, these setups are just adequate to move the tool over level surfaces for repositioning and the tool is barely off the floor when they are engaged. That, combined with the angle of a ramp, would be a pretty perilous situation. See if you can rent an appliance mover that can handle that much weight or have about six strong people including yourself to be able to carefully slide it off the back edge of the trailer onto the ground as close to your shop as possible.

Tim M Tuttle
03-09-2020, 11:33 AM
Bandsaws don't really take up much space and there isnt really much of a difference between large and small. I have a Laguna 18BX and a WEN 10" on a rolling stand. They both take up a similar amount of floor space.

Jim Becker
03-09-2020, 8:25 PM
True, unless they are too tall for the ceiling, Tim... :) :D

Patrick Irish
03-10-2020, 1:00 AM
Regarding transporting, I chatted with Laguna customer service and they recommended tipping it over on the back spline. They said to place the saw bout 3-4ft from bed of truck with the help of 3 guys and tip over and push it in. This way no one is lifting the complete weight of the saw. Table is heavy but easy to remove as well.

Getting it out should just be the reverse.

I’m debating this. I don’t have a truck really but can rent one. Mine is a small 4cyl Dodge Ram 50. This saw does have the wheels on the rear. I wonder if during the tipping process it will kick out. I could always take the wheels off or hook up a come along to the bed and loop it around the top of saw to prevent that.

The table is 24x33” so it will stick out some. I’m not denying this, this will take up a lot of space in my garage. I have base cabinets along the garage wall it’s going. I might get rid of a set or just deal with it. All my tools are on wheels and we hope to be here maybe another year or two.

Height to the bottom of the roll up track is 87” giving the saw 3” to spare. It’s going to be higher than 83” during the tipping up at one point. I’m hoping once in the garage we can roll the door down and be ok to tilt it up. It’s 95” to the ceiling.

Mike Kees
03-10-2020, 1:59 AM
I hauled my Centauro CO 600 home from Calgary (about 350 kms.)On my flat deck trailer laying on it's spine. I brought along 6-8 pieces of 2"x4" and a impact driver and screws, screwed pieces all the way around it to the trailer deck and secured it with about 4-5 rachet straps, it rode like a dream.

Tom Trees
03-10-2020, 9:03 AM
I would definitely take those wheels off and give tipping it as said by Laguna, in the shed.
If it doesn't clear the ceiling you will be able to judge whilst tipping as its not weighing much, more of an issue keep it from standing upright, than lifting it...
you could get some blocks to make sure it dosent tip upright if it was important.

If that is too high you can always tip it lifting from the front of the machine, which can be done aswell albeit not as easily. Have a good sawhorse at hand for the changing of grip.

Another thing I forgot to mention which might be a good idea, is to make sure it doesn't tip over when it eagerly plonks itself upright, there was some swaying of the machine
the last time I set mine down, this could have been worse if it was worse floor.
Ill pull up a bench or something next to the back of the machine when I do this again.
Good luck with the saw Patrick

Jim Becker
03-10-2020, 9:10 AM
Patrick, I brought my MM16 home on its spine in the back of the pickup truck I owned at the time. Tipping it in and out was relatively easy and because the spine is flat, it was also really easy to stabilize and hold it during the transport.

Carroll Courtney
03-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Like one of the local radio stations DJ always says when he is sign off" You can never have to much HP,no such thing as spare change" Same applies to BS,big is better. Well kinda,I have the 20" and a 14" they were perfect. I had a 36" but sold it. Like others there is such a big difference between two,which is the same as there purpose.

lowell holmes
03-11-2020, 6:07 PM
You can make a larger table with plywood.

Rod Wolfy
03-12-2020, 5:35 AM
Well, I got a different opinion. I sold a 14" Jet bandsaw and bought a 20" Aggazani. Then I was frustrated, because I found I used the 14" all the time for tight radius curves & quick cuts. I regretted ever selling it.

I also had a Felder combination machine, with a sliding fence. Beautiful saw! But it was so awkward to get sheet goods onto it for cuts inside the garage. I got a Festool track saw & that was another eye opening experience!

I'd have you get a track saw first, so that you can initially break down the sheet goods (for kids beds, toys, etc) and get them into storage. When you get a few minutes between diapers & work & all the other fatherly duties of a new dad, you can sneak out & build a bunk bed, like I did for my kids.

Also, don't make the mistake of selling the 14” bandsaw to afford the bigger one. Budget it out so that you can have both!

Jim Becker
03-12-2020, 9:42 AM
Roger, the reason for the either/or question was a matter of opportunity. But that's water over the dam as he's already opted for the big bandsaw because it's an incredible buy.

Mike Kees
03-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Hey Patrick ,did it happen ?

Phillip Mitchell
03-15-2020, 10:46 AM
“A fine bandsaw is indispensable.”
- James Krenov

I think where there’s a will, there’s a way. I have a 20” bandsaw in my tiny basement shop that I had to bring in laying down on its spine (walkout door / ceiling height isn’t very tall) and stood it up in between the floor joists where it now lives. The footprint compared to a 14” saw is slightly bigger I’m sure, but completely worth the sacrifice. My basement shop is ~ 350 sq ft of useable woodworking space with low ceilings, but if you can lay out your space around the machines you really want and need and the type of work you do then you can do a surprising amount in a cramped, space compromised situation...damhikt...

I woodwork as a hobby as well as for a living. I can tell you that my 20” bandsaw has directly made me more money than any other single tool I have, so it has earned its place over and over. Don’t know if that’s a consideration to you or not, but local builders and building suppliers contact me to fabricate timber corbels, brackets, braces, etc and many times the only tool I may be using after layout is the bandsaw. All this to say, having a wide throated bandsaw that can re-saw 12+ inches can open up a lot of possibilities.

Rick Potter
03-15-2020, 2:56 PM
Phillip, that reminds me of a local lumber yard where they have a Rockwell 14" bandsaw outdoors under a tin roof. They have a mobile base with big wheels on it, and use it to put decorative ends on long timbers. They move the saw instead of the wood. Been using it for years.

Phillip Mitchell
03-15-2020, 5:31 PM
Hah! That sounds cheaper than the portable Mafell bandsaw I’ve used for similar operations in large timber.

I’m surprised the local lumberyard don’t keep that type of fabrication in house, but it seems like having skilled labor around to do that type of work is a challenge. Either way, I’m happy to do it and get paid well to do so when it comes up.

Phillip, that reminds me of a local lumber yard where they have a Rockwell 14" bandsaw outdoors under a tin roof. They have a mobile base with big wheels on it, and use it to put decorative ends on long timbers. They move the saw instead of the wood. Been using it for years.

Patrick Irish
03-15-2020, 7:45 PM
Hey Patrick ,did it happen ?

In the garage safe and sound. 7 hours of driving total. Started tripping on way home due to rain and wondering if we unload it in the rain or wait in the morning, would I get charged another day for the truck rental. Got home and skies cleared for about an hour, perfect to unload. Was a little hardy angling it out of truck and into garage. Furniture dolly was at my parents so we used a skateboard with a 2x6 across the trucks. Me, dad, bro in-law and neighbor to get it out. We kind of forgot to keep tension on the top so it came up kind of fast. Had to lower the garage door while holding it at and angle in order to tilt up and make it fit.

loading it was a sinch. Wheels to bed of truck. 4 guys total tilted it and the lifted end and pushed.

I had to rent a truck cuz my little 4cyl ‘88 Dodge would have struggled.....so I got to drive a 2020 dodge hemi crew cab 1500. Only cost me $40 for the day from budget. Unlimited miles which were about 330 round trip.

Got the table on and about 95% square and true. No it’s fine tuning and learning how to resaw and make accurate cuts. Would be nice to be able to rip cut and save material too.

oh and it’s a 6hp not a 5hp. Even better. Wasn’t in the market this large a saw but for $1900 I couldn’t saw no. Came with 4 blades, extra resaw fence and mobility kit. Figure it’s a bandsaw for life considering my use.

Tom Trees
03-15-2020, 8:26 PM
Glad to hear all went smoothly :)

You might find the slot for the blade in the table can be flushed up if it's not correct already
By adjustment of the nuts at the trunnion.
It may take a few mins to get that flush whilst also using a square to check the back of your blade.

Good luck with your new machine Patrick
Have fun setting it up

Who needs dominos when you can cut tennons so easy?

mreza Salav
03-16-2020, 1:01 AM
Congrat's! that's a great looking machine.

Mike Kees
03-16-2020, 1:05 AM
That is a seriously nice looking machine,enjoy it.

Jim Becker
03-16-2020, 9:14 AM
Congrats! That really does look like it's in excellent condition! If that's 5-6hp, be sure you have an appropriate circuit available.... ;)

Alex Zeller
03-16-2020, 1:40 PM
I seriously doubt you'll regret getting it. I have seen them go at auction for right about that price so you should be able to sell it and get your money back if it doesn't work out. I'm sure there will be a learning curve figuring out different blades and maybe the guides might be set up for wide resaw blades but they aren't problems that can't be overcome. Wait until you cut with it. As someone that went from a 14" cast iron BS to a 19" all I can say is it was like getting a new car with power steering.