PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Laser Engraver vs. Boss

Barton Scott
03-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Hello,

I have seen videos of the Boss machines actually cutting through steel, aluminum and other metals.

We have a Trotec Speedy 300 that I purchased through this forum (2) years ago and we have been very happy with it, but Trotec cannot cut thru metal.

Does anyone have any experience with Boss machines? They are about 1/3 of the price of Trotec.

We are probably going to be purchasing a Speedy 400 and at least one other machine next year when our new Makers space opens, but I was curious if anyone owned a Boss machine and if they had used it to cut through metal?

Bert Kemp
03-07-2020, 12:48 AM
These look like 150 watt machines and look like they might need oxygen assist to cut metal and I'd also guess the metal would have to be very thin like maybe not much thicker then tin foil thin. I'd ask a lot of questions

Steve Utick
03-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I have seen videos of the Boss machines actually cutting through steel, aluminum and other metals.

We have a Trotec Speedy 300 that I purchased through this forum (2) years ago and we have been very happy with it, but Trotec cannot cut thru metal.

Does anyone have any experience with Boss machines? They are about 1/3 of the price of Trotec.

We are probably going to be purchasing a Speedy 400 and at least one other machine next year when our new Makers space opens, but I was curious if anyone owned a Boss machine and if they had used it to cut through metal?

I've seen many people on forums talking about how they bought a Boss HP machine so they could cut metal. Then after they receive it, complaining about how thin it has to be to cut, and how expensive it is to run because of the large quantities of Oxygen it needs for the O2 assist, and ending up with that it's pretty much a novelty thing at that point, and they will most likely not use it as they intended when they bought it. I'd do your research thoroughly before buying. I have a Boss machine, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably not buy it. Their build quality isn't as good as I'd like, and the machine is just quirky sometimes.

Kev Williams
03-07-2020, 2:04 PM
If you need metal cut into shapes other than what a common shear can do, find a sheet metal shop with fiber cutting lasers and let them do it. For low quantities you'll pay for minimums, but not bad if you need a few. My shop has been cutting out .09 aluminum for me for years for the ski lift operator panels I build. Last year my customer changed designs, which included screw-tabs on some panels and rounded corners on ALL panels. I have a corner notcher so half of last year I did that myself, which gets tiresome.... talked to my shop and they told me 'the lasers cutting anyway, just as easy to cut round corners as squared..." -- no upcharge...

Peter Gardella
04-03-2020, 8:38 PM
So I have a BOSS HP-3655 150w. And I will say it’s pretty awesome! Their website says you can cut through 18gauge (~1mm) stainless steel. I have got it to cut through 16 gauge with no issue. I don’t know what you need it for, but 1mm SS is plenty for me. You do need an Oxygen assist, which the initial investment in the tank was a bit much, but other than that it’s $40 to get it filled. It lasts me a few months of occasional cutting.

You can’t cut aluminum with it. Apparently to cut aluminum with a CO2 laser you need something g in the realm of 500w.

All that to say I don’t regret getting it all. It works great. No issues with it at all. And I can cut through 3/4in plywood and acrylic. It’s awesome!