PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe "DWV" vs "Schedule 40"

Stephen Tashiro
03-06-2020, 1:50 PM
Are "DWV" and "Schedule 40" different technical specs for PVC pipe?

One online page says "DWV" designates a different pipe spec than "Schedule 40":
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/what-is-dwv-pipe/

If you've been in the market for PVC pipe and fittings you may have come across something called DWV. DWV parts look very similar to standard white schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings. The only real difference is that DWV PVC is not made to handle pressurized uses like schedule 40 parts are. Instead, DWV pipe and fittings are made to handle a different class of uses – Drain, Waste, and Vent (hence the name DWV).

DWV parts are made with the same threading (NPT) and are made to the same size as standard PVC fittings. Since this is the case, DWV and schedule 40 and 80 pipe and fittings will fit together, but it isn't recommended that they be used together.

However, the big box stores call their PVC sewer pipe "schedule 40" and DWV. For example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-x-2-ft-Sch-40-Cellcore-PVC-DWV-Pipe/3223375?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-indoordrainage-_-3223375-_-0&store_code=1158&placeholder=null&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHUkVHWhravjHeUdKvYE OYiF5AsEUQgwlgneLfEsZ0NTV-fO4hThIVoaAg5dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Charlotte Pipe 4-in x 2-ft Sch 40 Cellcore PVC DWV Pipe

Mike Henderson
03-06-2020, 2:27 PM
I haven't looked in a while - so I'm going from memory here - but the pipe, itself, should be marked whether it's Schedule 40 or not.

The sewer and drain pipe is definitely thinner than schedule 40.

Mike

Mark Bolton
03-06-2020, 2:44 PM
Yes, all DWV is shedule 40. SDR and perforated can be schedule 20 and 35, but everything you buy for DWV will be schedule 40.

Matt Day
03-06-2020, 6:06 PM
It’s my understanding that Schedule 40 is thicker and can handle water pressure. DWV is made of lighter materials and can’t handle water pressure, but can be used for Drain, Waste, and Vent.

They have the same OD and ID though, so can be used interchangeably for Dust Collection.

For my DC system I used ASTM 2729 for pipe and DWV for fittings.

Brian Elfert
03-06-2020, 9:52 PM
I have been buying a fair number of PVC fittings and pipe recently for a bathroom remodel. I noticed that Home Depot has some PVC fittings in one bay and the rest in another bay. The one bay is labeled as drain pipe and the other as pressure pipe. (The pressure stuff is all smaller diameter.)

Mark Bolton
03-07-2020, 10:01 AM
I have been buying a fair number of PVC fittings and pipe recently for a bathroom remodel. I noticed that Home Depot has some PVC fittings in one bay and the rest in another bay. The one bay is labeled as drain pipe and the other as pressure pipe. (The pressure stuff is all smaller diameter.)

You will have cold water/pressure PVC that will also be schedule 40 and not to be used on DWV and vice versa you dont use the pressure fittings on DWV. Most DWV pipe will be cellular/foam core (though there is solid core PVC as well) for weight reduction and material/cost reduction.

Just remember the pressure/potable PVC is only to be used on cold water lines. No hot water. Its common for pools and some cold water system supply, condensate drains, and so on.

Ole Anderson
03-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Schedule 40 is basically a diameter/thickness specification. Whether it is rated for water pressure is a function of the construction. Some is solid PVC, some has a foam core and is not pressure rated but is adequate for drainage and ducting. Then there is PVC drainage pipe which has a much thinner wall and not to be confused with DWV pipe, yet will likely hold up to dust collection vacuum levels. 6" PVC Pressure/DWV pipe is rated for 180 psi cold water pressure. Most electrical duct has the same OD but is thicker and is schedule 80.