PDA

View Full Version : How long before selling?

Greg Parrish
03-06-2020, 8:52 AM
Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks

Bryan Lisowski
03-06-2020, 9:44 AM
I don't think I would sell tools no matter how long it has been since I used provided I'm still woodworking. Although it is somewhat contradictory, if all I built was 1 thing, like cutting boards I would think harder about selling what wasn't used.

Ron Selzer
03-06-2020, 9:46 AM
Curious question. How long would you let a tool go unused before you would consider selling it?

i go through phases of shop work where I make things and then let it sit unused for months. My time is limited and my interests change and vary so I don’t stay 100% focused on woodworking.

Didn’t want just a poll but some actual discussion as my own thoughts dance around possibly paring back shop equipment or changing hobbies all together.

thanks

I sell what doesn't work out for me, other wise I keep it.
Yes I have tools I bought over 20,30,40 years ago some never used some not used for over 10+ years. As long as I have the room I will hang on to tools EXCEPT ones I don't like or just don't have the room to keep them(large tools)

Jim Becker
03-06-2020, 9:48 AM
It's rare for me to part with something I've purchased, especially since I tend to invest in the higher end and acknowledge that some tools don't get used much just "because". The last thing I parted with was a Leigh dovetail jig that I hadn't used for, oh...5+ years...and given my direction with projects and techniques, I doubted it would get used in the next 5 years either. Sometimes parting with something brings regrets later, too. That was the case with a drum sander with me. While I had very good reason to sell my original one...zero use over a few years and the need for space, that resulted in my having to rebuy this past year because, once again, my direction with projects and techniques shifted.

I will also suggest this to you: many of us take a break from an avocation from time to time. For a few years, I didn't really do much work in my shop because of work and dealing with a mentally ill daughter and enjoying some other things "in the moment". I have multiple hobbies...photography, cooking, woodworking, equestrian, music, etc. I'll use that last one as an example. I've been a musician since an early age. It was "everything" to me when I was a teen and later during a period in the 1980s. I acquired a whole bunch of quality equipment during that latter period of time. While most of my various keyboards were sold a long time ago, I still have my favorite keyboard (Kurzweill 2000) and most of my rack gear. It's setup on our loft above our great room. While I don't play very often, I appreciate having it. I also have a really nice setup for photography...great Nikon full frame body and a bunch of quality lenses. I don't use it much anymore since selling our horses, but I'll likely never get rid of any of it because it fills a need once in awhile.

Bottom line...go slow here. You made a whole bunch of changes and acquisitions for your shop in the last two years and while maybe your "current" interest is lagging a little, if you liquidate all or some of your shop, there's a high probability that suddenly you'll get the bug again and have to re-invest. That said, if you determine that you truly want to move on, well...someone will undoubtedly get great benefit from tools you're no longer intending to use.

glenn bradley
03-06-2020, 10:05 AM
I agree with Jim B. (no surprise there) and will add that for the last 10 years or so I have been factoring in whether or not I will ever be able to 'get one' of a decent quality if I do decide to replace. That was quite a run-on sentence; let me use an example. I gave a 1940's drill press to my son in law. It had no table mechanism, was a bit short on reach and was inflexible when it came to chucks and so forth.

I bought a new (in 2005) drill press for about $350. It has been quite serviceable but, no where near the precision of the older unit. My presumption was that I would upgrade later. Lo and behold, it is neigh on to impossible to get a drill press that is significantly better than my get-me-by unit for under 6 or 7 times the price. This moves this particular tool into the 'can't get one at a decent price' world.

Conversely, a 1940's tablesaw might be really cool but, advances in safety and design make modern machines very attractive. Don't get out the torches and pitch forks, I love old arn as much as anyone but, a riving knife is a deal breaker for me. My point is that some items that you may have, you just may not be able to get a well made replacement of in your lifetime. That prickly factor aside, a tool would have to take up an inordinate amount of room before I would sell it. I may relegate it to the out-building but, it would be well packed for storage and I would know where it is ;-)

John K Jordan
03-06-2020, 10:06 AM

So far, 47 years. Hey, I might need it tomorrow.

But seriously, it depends. I also go through changes in interests. Some I might let sit for years then start again. I can't think of many things I didn't eventually get back to, except perhaps cave diving. (Anyone want some double tanks, reels, dry suit and such?)
Some things depend on storage space, for example I have a larger PM jointer new in the crate, stored for years now. I'll get around to setting it up someday. I have plenty of storage space.
I have a spare bandsaw not yet moved into my new shop. I will keep it and eventually move it since it complements my other shop bandsaw.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know a guy who buys a lot of tools, uses them a bit, then sells them on Craigslist some months later. The economics of that method doesn't appeal to me.

Some factors I might consider concerning specific tools...
- did I enjoy or hate the experience of using it
- did it do the job
- size of tool, space it takes up
- amount of shop and storage space available
- is it special purpose or a general use tool
- resale value vs cost
- can it be bought used or rented if needed in the future
- will it deteriorate if not used (for example, cordless tool batteries)

JKJ

Ira Matheny
03-06-2020, 10:24 AM
I, too, try different things. I will hone my skills on one type projects, then my attention shifts to something different. However, it seems as if individual tools, setting unused for a few years, end up become very useful in some other new and exciting project.
So, my short answer, I nearly never rid myself of a tool, unless it is of low quality.

Pete Staehling
03-06-2020, 12:13 PM
I have regretted it pretty much any time I have sold a tool that I liked. Sooner or later I wanted them again and missed them. Same for other stuff including a couple guns that I wish I still had. A Sterlingworth 12ga double barrel, double trigger, modified and improved cylinder chokes that I parted with comes to mind.

Different deal if you don't particularly like them.

Rick Potter
03-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Two current examples:

A brand new clamp that has been in a drawer over 20 years, finally used on my saw a couple weeks ago.

A band saw of my dad's, stored for 15 years in my shop, listed currently for sale.

Guess I am a slow mover.

Stephen Rosenthal
03-06-2020, 1:16 PM
Of the rare occasions that I sold a tool (hand or power), it was only because I upgraded to a better model. Unlike the thousands of dollars worth of Nikon film camera equipment that is virtually worthless in today’s digital age. Should have bailed on that stuff when I could have recovered some of my initial investment. I suspect the same thing will happen with old table saws and other flesh eating machinery once safety technology, a la SawStop, becomes universal.

John TenEyck
03-06-2020, 1:36 PM
I had a 1.5 hp shaper that I never really like and couldn't do what I really wanted out of one. I used it to make cabinet doors but nothing else. After at least 10 years I finally sold it after I realized I could make cabinet doors just as well on my router table, so why keep a machine I didn't like and no longer needed. I haven't missed it. If I ever get another shaper it will be much bigger and have a power feeder so it can do everything I need from one.

John

Greg Parrish
03-06-2020, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have a nice setup of high end tools as Jim mentioned above. I spent a few years putting it all together but have been having trouble staying motivated to build anything. Last project was over Christmas when I made some coaster sets on the CNC.

anyway, the latest thing has been golf with my son. We joined our club and play a lot. Between that and work I’m just not finding time for much else. The tools don’t cost anything to sit but I have been having thoughts of possibly selling off the shop except for a few tools and regaining a bunch of my garage space.

I’m not in a huge hurry to decide but my passion for woodworking seems to come and go these days. thanks for the continued insight.

Mike Rambour
03-06-2020, 2:54 PM
i can't answer that, I have never sold a tool in my life UNLESS I was replacing it with another one just like it :)

I sold a smallish band saw when I got my current band saw, I sold my Unisaw when I got my SawStop, other than that never sold a tool. Some tools sat for years or more without use, like my MIG welder which I replaced with TIG about 8 years ago, but guess what I used my MIG extensively on my son in law car late last year, glad I kept it.

Seriously, passions come and go and usually come back. I didn't reload for close to 20 years but I am back into it and glad I kept all the stuff. I didn't ride bicycles for about 8 years but recently got back into it, still have all my HO railroad stuff, cant wait for that passion to come back.

Richard Coers
03-06-2020, 3:44 PM
Selling machinery is the job of my wife and kids if I go first. I just hope I get enough stuff labeled so all the accessories go to the next person. I haven't turned anything on my Oneway 2436 for 15 months, but it's going nowhere!

Greg Parrish
03-06-2020, 4:14 PM
Part of my thought involved selling everything but the workbench, handtools and CNC. Odd assortment but figured I could do a lot with just hand tools and the CNC and having the sliding saw, bandsaw, J/P, miter saw and lathe gone would make a huge shift in free floor space but I could still tinker with some slow projects by hand and the occasional creative outlet on the cnc. I’m just not emotionally attached to my tools I guess. It’s a hobby and not my vocation. Another part of me is thinking sell it all, walk away all together and chase other pursuits. I think another issue is that I just prefer spending time with my family to being isolated in the shop so hobbies and activities have started drifting in that direction. It’s funny, I spent more time in the shop when I had less equipment of lower quality. LOL

Still thinking it through of course.

mreza Salav
03-06-2020, 4:38 PM
For me, once I realize I am getting by without I or there is a better option I sell it. I once bought and restored an old Rockwelll combo belt/disk sander but soon realized I use the edge sanders I have and the disk sander is too small. Sold it. I sold my biscuit joiner. Several other tools. I don't feel emotionally attached to anything. If it doesn't get used it should free the space.

Pete Staehling
03-06-2020, 4:47 PM
What I didn't say is that there may come a time when I am too old a feeble to use them. At that point I'll still hold on to them if I hold on to the house, but if I downsize into someplace that I can't keep them they will have to go. That will be a sad day. I probably won't do that as long as i can still use them.

If I decide to sell the house and hit the road in an RV for a few years I might store them.

I do know of guys who hug onto stuff that there was no way they'd ever be able to use again just to hang onto the dream. Sailboats come to mind, in some cases big expensive ones that cost a lot of money to store where they were and they were deteriorating alarmingly. Not only were they costing to store, but by the time the guys kicked the bucket they probably went from worth a bundle to nearly worthless. I guess it was worth it to them to kid themselves that just maybe they'd be able to sail again. I might keep my tools like that. At least they won't rust to pieces or cost a fortune to store as long as I own the house.

Jim Becker
03-06-2020, 5:01 PM
If you're enjoying playing "pasture pool" with your son, just enjoy it and don't worry about the shop. If you sell those tools, you're going to take a bath financially and when the world turns over, you'll end up buying them again unless you are absolutely, positively sure you're not going to continue with the activity.

The last time I played golf was about 12 years ago. I still have my clubs, but zero motivation to engage in the activity...but if I was asked to participate in a charity event or something, I'd probably do it.

Greg Parrish
03-06-2020, 5:37 PM
Yeah it’s a tough call. I told myself to try to get motivated to make something this weekend and see how I feel about it. It’s a weird thing as I’ve done this with other hobbies before like off roading, rebuilding and restoring a vehicle, remote model helicopters and drones, high end digital nature photography, etc. camping with the motor home and woodworking were the two that stuck over the years but I guess I’m just finding it to seem more like work or a chore and less enjoyable for many tasks in the shop. Combine that with an overwhelmed interest in spending all our free time on the course and you get the idea.

equip wise I think I might not do to bad as long as I’m patient on a buyer. Don’t know though. May start with testing waters on the Felder slider since I could live without that large item if it sells. Could reassess from there.

Ron Citerone
03-06-2020, 5:46 PM
If you're enjoying playing "pasture pool" with your son, just enjoy it and don't worry about the shop. If you sell those tools, you're going to take a bath financially and when the world turns over, you'll end up buying them again unless you are absolutely, positively sure you're not going to continue with the activity.

The last time I played golf was about 12 years ago. I still have my clubs, but zero motivation to engage in the activity...but if I was asked to participate in a charity event or something, I'd probably do it.

I agree with Jim here. Life is change............and cyclical. If you have the room and don't need the money I would say keep it and you never know how things will be going forward. I used to hunt deer and thought I would get back into it wen I retired. Well with a heart condition I really can't exert myself in the cold so that's over for me. Now in the winter months I have really gotten back into woodworking. My surf rods have sat idle for years, now we are taking all the kids to the Outer Banks this summer and they want to fish the surf.

Think things out before you sell IMO.

John K Jordan
03-06-2020, 10:28 PM
My surf rods have sat idle for years, now we are taking all the kids to the Outer Banks this summer and they want to fish the surf.

One of my favorite places, I especially like fishing for flounder.

Did you ever fish there in the winter? Nov/Dec were my favorite times but not for the kids!

JKJ

Bruce Lowekamp
03-07-2020, 6:45 AM
As others have said, hobbies can come and go. I spent quite a bit of time in my shop before kids (there was even a recliner in there my wife would sit in sometimes and maybe read if I wasn't using power tools). But when kid #1 arrived priorities changed between her and realizing I needed to get into shape. So being a Dad and cycling have been my biggest pastimes. But even then, the occasional project would come up, so in the last 13 years I've made 3 beds (one for each daughter) and an aquarium stand (essentially also for the daughters). And the shop has been invaluable in various home improvement projects (beyond table & miter saw, drilling holes in porcelain tile is laughably easy when you have a nice drill press).

Just finished making the bed for daughter #3 and while doing it I realized that I missed it. I also realized it was easy to make the bed because I had accidentally left the router bit set up for cutting slots for the head/foot board in the router table from the previous bed, which told me how long it had been since I had made anything that required the router table. So I've been trying to get back into it, getting the shop cleaned up for building furniture, upgrading the dust collection a bit, and maybe finish the partially finished workbench that's been sitting in there since before daughter #1.

Anyway, not only are you likely to get back into it, but you are also likely to find the equipment useful for other projects that come up, and maybe even the occasional small furniture project. If you don't have a woodshop, things like "I need to make this board just a little bit thinner" are shockingly hard.

Entirely your call, but I would say keep it unless you're completely sure you never want to use it again, or unless you're sure what you have now isn't what you would want if you decide to start again.

Bruce

Darcy Warner
03-07-2020, 7:15 AM
I have sold stuff I was using, because someone else needed it. Then I get to go buy another one. Lol

Alex Zeller
03-07-2020, 7:53 AM
I sell for two reasons, one if I have a tool that another tool has replaced. For example I have a heavy cast iron router table. But now that I have a router in my table saw and a shaper it's been collecting dust. If it wasn't taking up room I would most likely keep it. But moisture is a real problem for things stored in an unheated shop around here so either I have to cover it in grease to protect it (in which case I'll be even less likely to use it) or I should find a new home for it.

The other reason I sell is if my interests have changed. Just not having time or not much interest isn't enough. I have to actually not like doing something. With woodworking equipment as long as you don't need the space it's not going to loose value much, if at all. In fact I've seen things that sell today for more than they would have 10 years ago. You're not going to invest money in a table saw like you would the stock market but they are also not living breathing animals that require food.

For me this is a hobby that I hope to find more time to do once I retire. Right now I add to my collection as I find deals. I'll go months without stepping foot into my wood shop. If it turns out that even in retirement I don't have time I'll reassess. Even then I most likely will keep what I have since life does change. Right now you are doing a lot of golf but what if your son decides he wants to work with wood? As little as 10 years ago rough framing was about the most I wanted to do with wood. Now I find myself wanting to make stuff that shows off my creativeness.

Rich Engelhardt
03-07-2020, 8:36 AM
SELL IT!!!
LOL!!!

Are you trying to crack a joke of some kind?

Everyone knows you lose track of it....then go out and buy at least one more....long before you actually need it!!!

:D :D :D

(& BTW - I'm only kidding just a tiny bit here...)

Bob Riefer
03-07-2020, 9:30 AM
My teenager son said to me yesterday “dad? When I’m grown will you come over to my place and help me build all this stuff at my place?”

So, even if my current woodworking obsession cools off I’ll likely keep the shop going long enough to help the kids setup their lives.

johnny means
03-07-2020, 3:58 PM
I'm reminded of a popular refrain of another enthusiast crowd, "... from my cold, dead hands."

michael dilday
03-07-2020, 6:40 PM
I don't have very many tools that aren't used much. I guess my hand planes don't get used much but I am keeping them. When I upgrade a tool then I usually get rid of the old one like I did when I got the SawStop table saw. I gave my old Craftsman to my son in law. Looking at a bandsaw upgrade in a year or so and then I will be getting rid of the old Craftsman. That 12" Craftsman has served me well of 25 years or so and that will be hard to let go.

Thomas Wilson
03-07-2020, 8:57 PM
I am lucky to have few restraints in my retirement years to pursuing things I had to forego while working. I probably have too many expensive toys. I am 68 and healthy. At some point, I will have to put a value on everything and help my children dispose of it but not today. Today, I have to plan for building birdhouses with grandchildren. At present, all the tools, all the books, all the sketch pads, all the logbooks and diaries are part of me and I have no desire or need to get rid of anything. Ten more years of full life is the goal. Talk to me then.

Tom M King
03-07-2020, 11:44 PM
One of my favorite places, I especially like fishing for flounder.

Did you ever fish there in the winter? Nov/Dec were my favorite times but not for the kids!

JKJ

Have you been to Portsmouth island?

John K Jordan
03-08-2020, 1:48 PM
Have you been to Portsmouth island?

Not yet. We usually stay around Avon since from there I can drive up to Oregon Inlet and down to the Point and the end of Hatteras Island without much trouble. When the extended family goes (usually in October) we rent a house on the ocean and Avon is a fairly central base of operations.

When I go by myself I stay in cheaper places such as in the middle of the woods in Frisco! Most of the the out-of-towners in the winter seem to be there for the fishing, some for the wind surfing and kite boarding.

JKJ

Tom M King
03-08-2020, 6:08 PM
It's hard to get to, even from here. It takes a whole day for us to get there, and we're in the same state. You have to take a small ferry that seems like it's at the end of the world. You have to have 4wd. They have an air compressor so you can put air back in your tires when you come back off the ferry, after lowering the pressure for driving on the sand. Google Portsmouth Island fish camp, and you may see the "accommodations". They're pretty reasonable, and there is a dark sky there at night, with no towns anywhere near there. You can drive to plenty of places on the beach where no one else is in sight.

Mike Wilkins
03-08-2020, 11:13 PM
Every time I have sold a tool, I later regret the decision. A couple of exceptions have been the short bed Woodfast lathe I just sold after getting a Laguna 18-36 and selling one of my 11 routers. If a tool sits around and collects dust it may need to find a new home.

Billy Merrill
03-09-2020, 2:14 PM
Selling machinery is the job of my wife and kids if I go first.

Make sure you leave a list of what you actually paid for the tools, not what you said you did.

Jens Hoffmann
03-09-2020, 4:33 PM
Typically 1 to 2 years. If I haven't used it in 2 years it's just taking up valuable space and somebody else would be better off having it.
I try going though all of my tools about once a year and re-assess what I still need and what I can part with.
Haven't regretted trading in an unused tool for money. That mentality has also drastically reduced my overall spending on tools. Highly recommend it.

Von Bickley
03-09-2020, 5:00 PM
I worked too long and hard to have what few tools I have. I am saving my tools for my children and grandchildren.

Darcy Warner
03-09-2020, 8:08 PM
30 minutes was my latest.

I don't get the whole telling your wife you paid x amount when you paid y.

My wife and my kids know what I paid and what stuff is worth. They will not be taken advantage of when I die using whatever piece of machinery I was running when I kick it.