PDA

View Full Version : replacement wheel handles for Powermatic 66

larry hayden
03-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Hi, I recently purchased a used Powermatic 66 that's in great shape except the wheel handles are missing. The wheels appear to be cast iron and have about 1/4" through holes, no threads. The holes are fairly close to the edge of the wheel which makes me nervous drilling them out to 3/8" like most of the currently available handles.
Has anyone found a handle with a smaller diameter mounting bolt? Has anyone mounted the 3/8" handles to the factory wheels?
I'm waiting on handles ordered from Grizzly that have 3/8" diameter, ordered before seeing the hole placement in the wheels. Before trying to install them I'd like to know if someone else has done it successfully. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Larry

Matt Day
03-05-2020, 1:44 PM
McMaster has 5/16 handles. Search for Push on tapered lever handle.

They also have tapered lever handles that are threaded and 1/4”, so you could tap threads into the hole.

Jon Nuckles
03-05-2020, 2:17 PM
Or post a "wanted to buy" ad on OWWM.org for the original handles for your vintage saw. I bet somebody has a set on a parts machine they'd be willing to sell.

Don Jarvie
03-05-2020, 7:10 PM
Check the Bay. I found my duet door there.

Ira Matheny
03-05-2020, 9:04 PM
why not just turn on the lathe and make handles with 0.025' D hole? Ace or TruValu have a good selection of bolts/fasteners