PDA

View Full Version : Best mid-sized plunge router

Günter VögelBerg
03-03-2020, 11:51 PM
I have a plunge base for my Bosch Colt and I have a big Dewalt 625 that has served me faithfully for about 15 years, but sometimes I need more power than the Bosch has but want a machine smaller and less top heavy than the Bosch, so I need a plunge router in the 2.5 hp area. I want something less expensive than the Festool. I already have a good stationary base router in that size/power range so I don't need one of the package deals, but am not opposed to getting one. I am considering the Bosch or Dewlt packages that Lowes sells for about $225. What would you buy?

Andrew Seemann
03-04-2020, 1:05 AM
I have the DeWalt 2 1/4hp, 3 base package that I really like. I tend to use the D handle base the most as I have always preferred D handle routers, but the plunge and regular base come in handy when you need them. It probably depends on whether you would find those other bases useful or not.

Peter Kuhlman
03-04-2020, 8:03 AM
I had the Dewalt 621 I think is the model. A really nice midsized plunger. Gave it to my son. Very good dust collection, smooth plunge, plenty of power. The base is small so I used aftermarket plexiglass plates from Pat Warner as well as ones I made. I believe it is still the best of the current offerings. The other one I still have is an old Porter Cable 7529 that I love but they don’t make any more. I have tried various multi-base units but the plunge bases are never as good as the dedicated plungers.

Günter VögelBerg
03-04-2020, 9:22 AM
Is the 621 just a scaled down 625? It looks like it from the pictures.

Jamie Buxton
03-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Is the 621 just a scaled down 625? It looks like it from the pictures.

Not exactly. The 621 extracts sawdust through one of the support columns. That's a big advantage. The 621 is about the only router I've met where you can have dust collection and you can see in to where the bit is cutting.

The 621 is an old enough design that it doesn't have lighting built in, but you should be able to fix that with the Lee Valley light: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/lighting/110491-task-light-for-veritas-plunge-base

ChrisA Edwards
03-04-2020, 11:04 AM
I have a PC 890 with fixed and plunge base, works nice and the dust collection its very good with the plunge base.

Jim Becker
03-04-2020, 11:09 AM
There is no "best", but there are a bunch of good options.

In the mid-sized category, all of the major brands have options; many of them actually offering multiple bases so you can choose what's best for a given operation. I actually prefer a fixed base for certain things because of the lower center of gravity and (in many cases) easier precise depth adjustment for things like edging. Mine happens to be the DeWalt D1618. My most used router is my Festool OF1400 for when plunging comes into play, but the DeWalt plunge base works great, too.

glenn bradley
03-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Being a router user you know how tactile they are in use as far as balance, grip, ease of control, etc. I would wander in to your local big box store or woodworking specialty store and try a few on for size. The ease and quality of the plunge and collet mechanisms and variable speed being primarily important to me.

We all have our favorite. that's why we use them. I switched to Milwaukees many years ago and am familiar and comfortable with them. This means I would recommend them. This doesn't mean that the equivalent Bosch or De Walt isn't the right tool for you. The De Walt has a proven height setting mechanism but, their collets on their smaller router are kinda whimpy. The Bosch line up offers some trick controls that may tip you that way but, there are too many reports of failures with these for me. Sometimes basic is best but again, this will depend on what features are most important to you.

Günter VögelBerg
03-04-2020, 11:37 AM
I want to have one to use this weekend, so I think I am going to just go to lowes and look at the dewalt, Bosch and Metabo kits they have and decide which one feels best. I looked last time i was there and thought the Bosch's plunge mechanism was stiff and the Metabo just kind of felt cheap. I'll try to get back there today and re-evaluate.

Michael Drew
03-04-2020, 1:02 PM
I like to fondle power tools, prior to buying them. Some just don't feel all that great in the hand... Similar to buying firearms. If a pistol doesn't feel right, it's a challenge to shoot well. I probably have a dozen routers of different size and make, and I find myself reaching for my trusty old fixed base PC 690 99% of the time. My first choice plunge router is the Milwaukee. The Milwaukee fixed base is my #2 fixed, but only if the 690 is being used for something else, like DT's and I need both.

Jim Dwight
03-04-2020, 1:31 PM
I have two PC 690s (and a Bosch Colt and a few others) and like them but switching to the plunge base from the fixed is not real quick. So I have a DeWalt 621 (which used to be a Elu) on my wish list. It was Pat Warner's favorite. It may be a bit quirky but I like the size and the built in dust collection.

Günter VögelBerg
03-04-2020, 1:43 PM
I have two PC 690s (and a Bosch Colt and a few others) and like them but switching to the plunge base from the fixed is not real quick. So I have a DeWalt 621 (which used to be a Elu) on my wish list. It was Pat Warner's favorite. It may be a bit quirky but I like the size and the built in dust collection.

I don't plan on using the fixed base. I have a Freud in that power range that I like well enough that is fixed base.

John Terefenko
03-04-2020, 1:47 PM
I must have at least 20 routers. My best plunge router is the Bosch 1613VS router. Love the soft start and smooth operation. Good visability.

Andy D Jones
03-04-2020, 2:03 PM
I have a Milwaukee 5616 EVS router with both a plunge base and a fixed base. The fixed base's body-grip feature is as close as you can get to a palm router, in a higher-HP (2.25) router. I really like the body grip with small bits and/or light cuts. This router also does double duty for me in a router table with lift.

The 5615 is the same basic router, with a 1.75 HP fixed speed motor, for less height and lighter weight. The fixed base is identical to that on the 5616

Andy - Arlington TX

Randy Heinemann
03-04-2020, 6:49 PM
Of the several routers I own, I think the Festool OF1400 is the one I would choose if I had to keep only one. The centerline marks on the base allow precise line up of the center of the bit which avoids having to make a separate measurement of where the edges of the bit will end up. Can’t beat dust collection. It has all the power I require for that size router and more. If you own Festool guide rails it can be used on the rails with the guide stop accessory when cutting dados or just touting a straight cut. I love it. Whether it would be the best choice for you is personal preference.

michael dilday
03-04-2020, 7:52 PM
I have the Dewalt 618 with the plunge and fixed base. It is a great router.

Bruce Wrenn
03-04-2020, 9:14 PM
I have three of the PC 690 plunge bases, along with a Ryobi (free,) Dewalt 625, B&D Quantium ( used exclusively on hole boring jig) and Dewalt 621. Because they are so quick to adapt to a jig, the 690's are my favorite

John Terefenko
03-04-2020, 10:50 PM
I too love the 690's. Have a few of those.

Robert Hazelwood
03-05-2020, 8:37 AM
I have a Bosch 1617, it is a nice router but the plunge base has one problem. While it looks like there are two guide posts, only the one on the side with the plunge lever actually has a bushing in the base. The other is smaller diameter and there is just an O-ring instead of a bushing- that post is just for retaining the plunge spring.

The bushing fit on the main post is not super tight, so there is play when the plunge lever is depressed. At the end of the router bit it might be a 1/32" to a 1/16" when you intentionally try to make it move, somewhat less when you are trying to plunge straight. When you release the plunge lever everything tightens up and the play is gone. So the play occurs only occurs during the act of plunging. For the most part this is not a big deal, but it can be a problem for a few things. What got me investigating was making recesses for door pulls. You can always tell where the initial plunge occurred because there is an indention the size of the bit on the bottom of the recess where it cut a little deeper at the end of the plunge. That's due to the play on the shaft. It's deep enough that its difficult to sand out, especially in a small recess.

Anyways it seems most of the plunge bases for modular router systems use a similar setup and I expect would be prone to the same issue. So if this issue bothers you then I think you have to look at dedicated plungers. I have tried to see which routers use two guide post bushings, and the only ones I could tell for sure are the large Dewalt 625 and Makita. The DeWalt 621 is a medium size plunger, and it runs on only one guide post bushing, but that post is much larger than on other routers so it might do better.

Jim Dwight
03-05-2020, 9:07 AM
The DeWalt 621 is a plunge only router:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTST3rMRfNzRkVNuVn87BbRqmsZ7PG 5XxPWKSor2c6NDPYZvEKblsriQHDMyF-3ln6VcCuouClD1w&usqp=CAc

Günter VögelBerg
03-05-2020, 4:56 PM
I went to Lowes to get the Bosch and ended up leaving with the Dewalt because I felt like the Bosch's plunge mechanism was too stiff. We'll see how it goes.

Michael Drew
03-06-2020, 1:11 PM
I too love the 690's. Have a few of those.

They are on sale at Rockler right now.....99 bucks. I had to partake.

Mark Hockenberg
03-06-2020, 2:58 PM
There is no "best", but there are a bunch of good options.

In the mid-sized category, all of the major brands have options; many of them actually offering multiple bases so you can choose what's best for a given operation. I actually prefer a fixed base for certain things because of the lower center of gravity and (in many cases) easier precise depth adjustment for things like edging. Mine happens to be the DeWalt D1618. My most used router is my Festool OF1400 for when plunging comes into play, but the DeWalt plunge base works great, too.

Jim - My go-to has also been the OF 1400. I'm considering adding the 1010 for system holes and lighter work. Do you also have the 1010 / What to you think?

Jim Becker
03-06-2020, 5:05 PM
Mark, I have the OF1010, too, and while I don't use it often, it's lighter weight is very nice for things like edges as well as for shelf holes as you mention. the .25" and 8mm collets are well suited for that kind of work.

Mike Cutler
03-07-2020, 7:37 AM
I went to Lowes to get the Bosch and ended up leaving with the Dewalt because I felt like the Bosch's plunge mechanism was too stiff. We'll see how it goes.

That's a really nice router. I think you're going to like it a lot! DeWalt made a winner with that router.
I have Festool routers, OF1400 and OF2200, but still really liked the DeWalt. I almost bought one, just because. ;)

Charles Lent
03-08-2020, 9:33 AM
I bought the DeWalt 3 base kit about 8 years ago, and liked it so much that I bought a second for the truck, but now that I'm fully retired, it too lives in my shop, and I have a third DW618 two base kit that I acquired to use in my Hawk Routershop table. I really like using the two D handle bases when I'm routing dovetails on my Leigh D4R jig. The low center of gravity and low weight is what I like most about the 618 routers. They are very comfortable to use. If you do this, put tape on the top of the motors with a diagram of the bit that is installed, so you don't pick up the wrong router DAMHIKT.

Charley