PDA

View Full Version : Save my fingers! Difference btwn oil stones v synthetic media on the finger tips

Eric Rathhaus
03-03-2020, 2:32 PM
Hi - I've been practicing sharpening free hand but my index finger on the left hand gets honed to bloody in the process. I use the 3M trizact stuck to glass. Reading discussions around the differences between synthetic material and oil stones, I wonder if the oil stones would be easier on my finger tips? Before spending the $ for oil stones, I hope the Cognescenti know if the stones will make a difference. Thanks!

Eric

Jim Koepke
03-03-2020, 2:37 PM
Save your fingertips by moving them a bit back from the edge. Then it won't matter what kind of stones or abrasives you use.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
03-03-2020, 2:38 PM
Don’t blame the stone. Adjust your grip.

Eric Rathhaus
03-03-2020, 3:12 PM
Not blaming the trizact. I, of course, suspect it's my technique, but find it difficult to press down behind the bevel without having my tips touch the film. Maybe it's just a question of building up some calluses? The discussion of how certain synthetic media left deeper and more uniform scratches led me to wonder if there might be a noticeable impact on the fingers too.

Warren Mickley
03-03-2020, 4:11 PM
I suspect the problem is with your right hand. Hold your right hand at the very end of the tool, not up near the edge. Then there is plenty of room for the left hand and you have much more control.

Rafael Herrera
03-03-2020, 4:14 PM
Eric, are you initializing your tools? After you're done with that you don't need aggressive media, an natural oilstone is pretty smooth. Are you abrading your finger tip or cutting it with the tool edge? If the first, just adjust your grip of the tool and move your finger up. If the second, file the edges and wait until your hands calluses. Raf

Stephen Rosenthal
03-03-2020, 5:37 PM
I agree that it’s your grip, but here’s what I do when I have a lot of sharpening (diamond and waterstones). I have a pair of leather gloves (3 pack from Costco for $17.99) that I’ve cut the tips off of the forefinger so I can feel the pressure on the blade and sharpen away. It’s similar to a bicycle glove except only the forefinger is exposed. Sounds crazy but it works.

Eric Rathhaus
03-03-2020, 6:10 PM
Warren, I've been using the technique shown in a norton video. It emphasizes (for right handers) using your left hand behind the bevel for pressure and very loosely holding the right hand near the top of the metal. The idea is to prevent the dominant right hand from causing rounding. Is your technique different?

bill epstein
03-03-2020, 6:20 PM
Two words, Benjamin Braddock, Venom Steel.

Heavier than regular nitrile surgical gloves that allow feel and fit well. Lowe's, Hone Depot, Amazon...

Warren Mickley
03-03-2020, 7:13 PM
Warren, I've been using the technique shown in a norton video. It emphasizes (for right handers) using your left hand behind the bevel for pressure and very loosely holding the right hand near the top of the metal. The idea is to prevent the dominant right hand from causing rounding. Is your technique different?

Eric, I saw that Norton video with Maurice Fraser also. I think his fingers would wear also if he did any amount of work. You can see the handle flopping around because he has little control over the chisel. It is pitiful. Put your right hand on the handle for control and put a finger or some fingers of your left hand near the edge. They can be as much as an inch away, but most have their fingers 1/2 inch or less from the edge, just not touching the stone.

Jim Matthews
03-03-2020, 7:38 PM
I'm with th OP, sharpening with waterstones or diamond plates, abrading a fingertip can happen quickly.

Never had this problem with oilstones.

https://www.mcmaster.com/finger-cots

Andrew Seemann
03-03-2020, 9:01 PM
So, intrigued, I watched the chisel part of the Norton video. At the risk of agreeing with Warren:) that does seem a rather awkward way to sharpen. I had to go into the shop to see how I sharpen, since freehand sharpening is so second nature after 30 years, I couldn't think how I did it; I just do it.

From what I can tell, I usually support the chisel with my right hand fingers slightly cradled under the handle, palm up, so not holding, just keeping the angle, and then I press down on the blade about a half inch back from the edge with 3 or 4 fingers on my left hand. I then do his dreaded figure 8s and straight strokes. I try to get off the stone as quickly as possible, as sharpening past sharp just wastes time and chisel & stone life. As far as I know, my chisels come out plenty sharp for anything I throw at them

I noticed that he is just putting the secondary bevel on an already hollow ground chisel. If you were trying to flat grind the whole bevel start to finish using that technique on coarse stones, you probably would grind your fingertips off.

Eric Rathhaus
03-05-2020, 1:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I do find his method awkward, but it worked! I'm going to adjust my grip and maybe try some old water stones I have. I don't use a secondary bevel as I find it hard to register with the sharpening surface. I set the bevel with a jig and then proceed to free hand hone it.

Christopher Charles
03-05-2020, 1:42 PM
Hi Eric,

I use the technique from another Norton video with Joel M. of TFWW. Don't know if it is around the web, but I found it super useful....and I too abraded the tips of some fingers. I then moved my grip back a bit and all has been well.

Good luck.

Chris

Eric Rathhaus
03-05-2020, 3:00 PM
Hi Charles, it's the same video, I think. left dominant, right hand loose?