PDA

View Full Version : EFSTS part 7 of ?????

Paul B. Cresti
12-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok folks here is an update to my creation of a saw/router combo machine. No this is not an advertisement because I will not be selling them ;) (that note was to myself so I would not post to myself in regards that I was trying to sell my new design to myself or anyone else that actually thinks what I say has any relevance to woodworking... ok now I am confused better stick to the original topic :D)

Anyway.. in my last post on my self inflicted series as the "unofficial spokesman for myself" I showed everyone my invention of the double plated router table installed at the end of my MM S35 slider. Well I have started to use it now and am in the process of doing little tweaks here and there. The main idea was to have two places for the router to be inserted. One was oriented towards the slider for the sole purpose of dados ( I could use it for other purposes but I do have a stand alone shaper for that) and the second position was for "regular" router table usage. Keep in mind that my use of a router table is for round overs and rabets so the bit is always buried everything else is done on the shaper. I also use my router table with my PC OSS, so it is also my spindle sander.

In the first two pictures you will see that I am using my router fence to perform some rabets. Since the slider is a hair higher than the main table on the saw and the outfeed table, the slider is slid back to allow the work piece to glide over the router table. You will also notice that my router table is also only clamped at the far end. The other end is support by the rip fence. This allows the router/outfeed table, slider side, to be free to allow the slider to operate and still use the saw. My plans are to eventually add another router to the second plate so I will have two dedicated routers but for right now I just flip them.

In the third & fourth pictures you will see the router in the other plate location for use with the slider. Using the crosscut fence on the outrigger table and the eccentric clamps I am easily able to rout the other dados needed. Now since the outrigger table can be placed anywhere along the sliding table I can dado very large pieces or very small ones. Also since I am registering off of the crosscut fence (which can also angle if needed) the crosscut fence itself can extend out to 10 feet but my shop limits is to 8 ft, I have great versatility in the lengths of stock to be dadoed

The last picture shows my current solution to the non adjustable router bit in relation to the needed dado width for sheetgoods. I am using a plywood dado bit but on its first pass, going forward, it is not wide enough. I simple add a business card to the crosscut fence stop "to kick over" the stock a hair and then slide the table back and I am done.

I still need to set up the DC hookup for the slider router plate but I will need to think about it for a while.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 5:50 AM
nice job paul! looks to be fully functional. have you done any angled dados yet? i`m curious because i have a bid going out for a large slotted mailbox and just wondered how fast/accurate this setup has proved to be for you? tod