PDA

View Full Version : Have spare Melamine, make workshop shelves

Mark Katz
03-03-2020, 2:07 AM
I had a bunch of melamine, left over from a project, that has been hanging around the shop taking up space for at least 15 years. I got tired of tripping over it or lugging it around to get behind it so I decided to turn it into more workshop shelving. I made the shelves 9” deep as I find deeper shelves accumulate more hidden stuff. Besides, I only had enough melamine for 9” shelves.

The basic construction is nothing special - Butt joints with dominos and Titebond Melamine Glue. White oak edging, with an oak ply back panel.

The thing I want to highlight here is that I decided to build it with wide shelves and adjustable vertical partitions, rather than the more typical horizontal adjustable shelves.

Borrowing the idea from a piece of Scandinavian-style furniture I’ve had for about 40 years, I used these wire shelf supports to hold each partition in position: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/storage-and-organization/shelf-supports/40191-hidden-shelf-supports. You cut an 1/8” groove in the top and bottom of each vertical partition to slide over each wire.

This meant that I needed to make the equivalent of shelf pin holes along the top and bottom of each shelf. I have shelf pin jigs of various kinds that I can use for 1/4” or 5mm holes but nothing to drill a series of 1/8” holes needed for these wire supports. After scratching my head for a bit, I came up with a solution.

I found these spacers on Amazon which I ordered as 1/4” outside diameter, .140” inside diameter and 15/16” length. I would have chosen a slightly longer version but that was the only length that was in stock - otherwise it would have been a 2 to 3 month wait. Also, when I bought these I got a package of 25 for about $12. They seem to be a lot more expensive now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YLJD90/ref=twister_B00DIHVKQ0?th=1

I placed these spacers into the 1/4 bushings in my Kreg shelf pin jig and found them to be a nice fit for a 9/64” drill bit. I was supposed to be drilling 1/8” holes but I found that 9/64” holes worked just as well so I was in business. This photo shows the process of drilling the holes. A second 9/64” drill bit, shank down serves as a registration pin for extending the series holes.

Then here is the set of components with all the holes drilled.

Here’s a three views of how the partitions are installed.

And finally the shelves are partially loaded up. I plan to find other containers to organize things better but for now I just put my existing bins on the shelves.

You might also notice the set of “feet” that I built to raise the completed unit above the electric baseboard that I use to heat the shop. These are upside-down J-shaped assemblies. The rear leg of each assembly is 1 1/2" shorter than the front one because it sits on the bottom plate of the stud wall.

More shelving, no more melamine in the way. Win, win!

Paul F Franklin
03-03-2020, 8:43 AM
Very nice Mark! Your system for movable vertical dividers is new to me and a great idea! I will file that away for future use.

Gary Ragatz
03-03-2020, 8:59 AM
Nice project. I've seen the adjustable vertical dividers used in a closet organizer, and thought it made sense.

Clever solution on the shelf pin jig!

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2020, 10:26 AM

Neat idea Mark.

I also made some shop cabinets, place is almost organized now :eek:

Mark Katz
03-06-2020, 9:05 PM
Excellent Rod. Nice that you were able to make use of that space up high. Wall space is always at a premium.