PDA

View Full Version : W B Belknap handsaw value

Bill Bukovec
03-02-2020, 8:13 PM
I was in an antique store today and saw this saw. The medallion had W P Belknap , Bluegrass. The handle is broken and the blade is very rusty. Does the medallion help date the saw?

Is it worth anything?

The price tag fell off, so I don't know the price. I might offer $10.00 just to rescue it. But then, I already have 8 or 9 saws on my rescue pile.

Stew Denton
03-02-2020, 8:57 PM
Bill,

That is not one I would rescue. To restore that one would be a LOT of work, and the final results may still be none to good when you start with a saw that bad. If you are going to restore one (I have a few waiting for their turn to be restored too), there are better choices than that one, as you know. I doubt it is a collectors item, but I wouldn't know since I don't collect saws. From past posts, and my own reading, I think that there are a lot of Belknap tools around.

I have gotten to the point that if I want to buy something to restore, I am very picky and look it over very carefully. If it looks like quite a bit of work, I pass. There are too many tools around that require a lot less work to restore, and sometimes for the same or sometimes even less money.

If you decide to rescue it, since the condition is so bad, I would offer the guy a buck or at the outside most two, certainly not $10. Tell the seller you are thinking about restoring it, and as much work as it would be, ask if he would give you two bucks to take it.

Stew

Pete Taran
03-03-2020, 1:59 PM
+1 to Stew's recommendation. I've thrown away saws in better condition than that.

Bill Bukovec
03-03-2020, 8:35 PM
Thanks. I will pass on this one.