PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your router plane?

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 2:55 PM
I ordered a shiny new Large Veritas router plane with a fence and a few blades.

Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane? I know that Steve has a detailed build for his. In my mind, Derek had something as well, I should go look for that.

I might as well have way to store all the bits in one container.

My search karma is poor today, I could only find this:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?279979-Box-for-a-router-plane

Frank Pratt
03-02-2020, 2:59 PM
On the shelf with some other planes, but I only have the one iron for it.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2020, 3:21 PM
Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane?

This really depends on your current or planned system of storage. My visit to Derek's site wasn't successful at finding his solution. My router plane sits on a piece of scrap wood with a U cut in it to keep the blade off of the shelf it rests upon.

Searching > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < found quite a few results. Searching > router plane storage box < on your favorite search engine will likely find a few more.

jtk

Phil Mueller
03-02-2020, 4:33 PM
The Woodwhisperer just posted a video on a few organizational “holders” for some of his hand tools. A router plane and cutters was one of them. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/6OuM3g4hIn8

I use a router plane fairly frequently, but it’s stored in a small cardboard box with all the cutters, inlay attachment, and guide. I just don’t have the space to give it a permanent place on the wall.

Tony Joyce
03-02-2020, 5:33 PM
Here's my solution.

I left room to add another Router plane later.

Norman Pirollo
03-02-2020, 5:45 PM
Recently completed this in-fill area for my tool cabinets (new hand planes). Router plane has its own 427232parking spot.

Rob Luter
03-02-2020, 6:00 PM
Mine hangs from pegboard. The extra cutters and other goodies are in a drawer in a tool box.

steven c newman
03-02-2020, 6:05 PM
And mine..
Just adjust the size of the case to the plane. Add a block acoss the back, drill enough holes to hold the cutters.

Don Dorn
03-02-2020, 8:17 PM
In a wooden box I made for it with a cutout for the plane at the bottom. Raise the blade to not touch the bottom when stored. Keeps the dust off and everything is together.

Thomas Wilson
03-02-2020, 8:45 PM
Here's my solution.

This is wonderful, wretched excess bestowed on the lowly but worthy router plane. I bow down.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 8:57 PM
This really depends on your current or planned system of storage. My visit to Derek's site wasn't successful at finding his solution. My router plane sits on a piece of scrap wood with a U cut in it to keep the blade off of the shelf it rests upon.

Searching > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < found quite a few results. Searching > router plane storage box < on your favorite search engine will likely find a few more.

Very similar to my search. I must have flubbed the spelling of sawmillcreek.org since cut and past from what you have is showing me lots of hits. Thanks Jim.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 8:59 PM
Here's my solution.

Holy Moly, now that is something to aspire to. Wow!

Are those "square" holes where you place your cutters? I need to look at that again.

<added text>
OK, I looked again. They are square. How did you do that? Mortise machine? I do not own one, but smart given the cutters that you have.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 9:04 PM
I read your original post numerous times, and it was not until this time around that I noticed that you have some wood to let the plane sit up a bit so that the cutter does not prematurely hit.

And mine..

Just adjust the size of the case to the plane. Add a block across the back, drill enough holes to hold the cutters.

Tony Joyce
03-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Holy Moly, now that is something to aspire to. Wow!

Are those "square" holes where you place your cutters? I need to look at that again.

<added text>
OK, I looked again. They are square. How did you do that? Mortise machine? I do not own one, but smart given the cutters that you have.

I'll look tomorrow, but as I recall I v-grooved a board and split it and glued it face to face to get the holes. No mortise involved.

Tony Joyce
03-02-2020, 10:20 PM
This is wonderful, wretched excess bestowed on the lowly but worthy router plane. I bow down.

I have a habit of going to excess on shop cabinets and tool storage. I've made several french fitted boxes for wood chisels.
I consider it practice, plus I'm using materials I've amassed over the years.
The added benefit is I get to enjoy doing and looking at it also.

Derek Cohen
03-02-2020, 10:49 PM
Andrew, tools that are used a lot, but not constantly, are in a cabinet (tools used constantly are on the wall behind my bench). This cabinet has glass doors, so I can see what is there. Less used tools are in cabinets with solid doors.

https://i.postimg.cc/MTfM4kLc/Router-board1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/2y4qkQrr/Router-board2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/WzRFcWR5/Router-board3.jpg

Bottom centre ...

https://i.postimg.cc/T1mTtcD5/Spokeshave-cabinet.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Henderson
03-02-2020, 11:01 PM
I have a habit of going to excess on shop cabinets and tool storage. I've made several french fitted boxes for wood chisels.
I consider it practice, plus I'm using materials I've amassed over the years.
The added benefit is I get to enjoy doing and looking at it also.

Your router box is beautiful and an inspiration.

Right now, I keep my LV router plane in a drawer and the extra blades in a roll that LV sells just for those blades. (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/maintenance-and-accessories/71429-blade-roll-for-veritas-router-and-hinge-mortise-planes)

If I make a box, I have to find a place to store the box - storage space is always a problem for me.

Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 11:17 PM
Very nice Derek, thanks for the pictures.

OK, clearly I was mistaken, I have not see this before. I like it!

Andrew Pitonyak
03-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Right now, I keep my LV router plane in a drawer and the extra blades in a roll that LV sells just for those blades. (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/maintenance-and-accessories/71429-blade-roll-for-veritas-router-and-hinge-mortise-planes)

If I make a box, I have to find a place to store the box - storage space is always a problem for me.

I think that I have a place for a box. I might have room in my "plane drawer". I was not aware of the cutter roll, or I would have ordered it when I ordered the plane (probably). If i have the roll, the box is a bit less important because then I might have room in my drawer with the rest of my hand planes.

steven c newman
03-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Someday...this just MIGHT get built....
When I get something better than a basement to set it up in....might be better than the current chest's
"Hunt, Peck, & Stow" Storage...one of 5 drawers...

Jim Koepke
03-03-2020, 1:18 AM
Very similar to my search. I must have flubbed the spelling of sawmillcreek.org since cut and past from what you have is showing me lots of hits. Thanks Jim.

If you used the search function on the Sawmill Creek page the Google search will be > router plane storage box site:www.sawmillcreek.org

Cut out the www. to leave > router plane storage box site:sawmillcreek.org < and the results are always much better.

jtk

Jim Matthews
03-03-2020, 7:10 AM
I use the little plastic boxes supplied by Veritas to hold their router blades for shipping. The works are stored in a Cortec VCI bag.

Rust is a problem in my dank basement shop.

William Fretwell
03-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Send me one and I’ll think of something...........must have an empty biscotti tin lying around.......

Rob Lee
03-03-2020, 1:07 PM
I ordered a shiny new Large Veritas router plane with a fence and a few blades.

Any pointers to a build thread or pictures of how you store your router plane? I know that Steve has a detailed build for his. In my mind, Derek had something as well, I should go look for that.

I might as well have way to store all the bits in one container.

My search karma is poor today, I could only find this:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?279979-Box-for-a-router-plane

Andrew -

Your search Karma may be bad.... but your posting Karma is good......!

Contact me at rlee@leevalley.com and I'll send you a pre-production version of our new router box in exchange for your private opinions.

Cheers -

Rob

(and no - not as nice as Tony or Derek's !)

Jim Matthews
03-03-2020, 7:55 PM
I'm gonna start a thread with the title "How do you store your Dodecagauge with laser sights?"

Rob Lee
03-03-2020, 8:16 PM
I'm gonna start a thread with the title "How do you store your Dodecagauge with laser sights?"

You Jim, do not have good posting Karma (today).

:cool:

Cheers -

Rob

justin sherriff
03-03-2020, 9:52 PM
The wood whisperer just posted a video on a nice holder. I like how he stores the extra blades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuM3g4hIn8

lowell holmes
03-05-2020, 7:59 AM
I store a lot of tools in clear plastic shoe boxes.

Charles Taylor
03-05-2020, 9:08 AM
In my shop, that Wood Whisperer holder would have to be positioned above a nice soft landing spot for the fence and the irons. If there's one thing at which I excel in this hobby, it's the ability to knock things over, off, and all around the workshop.

Oskar Sedell
03-09-2020, 11:04 AM
in a box together with other small planes that are not used as often as the bench planes - kiwa kanna, a jap. scraper plane, some wooden block planes. The cutters are in a drawer reserved for router cutters, plough plane irons and similar small items that must not get lost.

Rob Lee
03-09-2020, 12:56 PM
I store a lot of tools in clear plastic shoe boxes.

Hi Lowell -

I do exactly the same thing. I also use large plastic totes for home maintenance categories (Electrical, Plumbing, Drywall etc) so I can grab a whole set of tools/supplies at a time.

Cheers -

Rob

Trevor Walsh
03-17-2020, 10:24 PM
My #71 1/2 hangs on a nail through the empty screw hole in the casting and my mini Veritas router sits on a small little open shelf spot for little tools.

Frederick Skelly
03-18-2020, 7:20 AM
Mine hangs from pegboard. The extra cutters and other goodies are in a drawer in a tool box.

Same for both of mine.

lowell holmes
03-19-2020, 7:36 PM
Rob, I have several shoe boxes with your tools in them. I live in a moist humid environment and my tools are rust free.
There are a lot of tools your company made in those boxes. I made a new wooden box for your detail chisels after Hurricane Harvey.
They were wet and they rusted. I de-rusted them and coated them with Johnson Floor wax and made a new box fore them.
Do you have any new tools we need to know bout? just asking

Andrew Pitonyak
03-19-2020, 8:00 PM
Andrew -

Contact me at rlee@leevalley.com and I'll send you a pre-production version of our new router box in exchange for your private opinions.

Cheers -

Rob

I just sent an email to him... :-)

For sure my timing is good.

lowell holmes
03-21-2020, 1:35 PM
I think I will buy more plastic totes and re-organize my shop.

Rob Luter
03-21-2020, 6:10 PM
Andrew -

Cheers -

Rob

Good on you Rob Lee.

Jerry Olexa
03-21-2020, 8:56 PM
On a shelf in my tool cabinet..Some protection

Andrew Pitonyak
05-07-2020, 1:42 PM
Rob Lee sent me a storage container to test and now that they have it available on their web site, I can release my review of the box:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?282615-Lee-Valley-new-router-plane-box-(how-I-store-my-router-planes)&p=3018270#post3018270

If you do not yet have a box, this will save you a bunch of time and it works very well. Clearly a lot of thought was put into their box. I love mine. It also provides an idea of how they laid it out. Here is a picture of mine (only slightly modified).

steven c newman
05-07-2020, 4:34 PM
Not much account for the Stanley version, is it? As for mine...
It sits very comfortably on top of the Stanley No. 45's case....

Paul Saffold
05-09-2020, 7:46 AM
This is the one I made back in 2012. If I was doing it now I would use 1/2" stock as 3/4" is too clunky but it was a good learning experience.
Keeps everything organized and made it easy to pack when I closed up shop. I"m in the middle of moving.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187183-Storage-box-for-2-LV-routers

Tom Bender
05-13-2020, 7:07 AM
Derek your love of tools smacks of idolatry.

My beliefs allow that BTW.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-13-2020, 11:14 AM
This is the one I made back in 2012. If I was doing it now I would use 1/2" stock as 3/4" is too clunky but it was a good learning experience.
Keeps everything organized and made it easy to pack when I closed up shop. I"m in the middle of moving.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187183-Storage-box-for-2-LV-routers

I like it. How did you cut the form to fit the plane?

Also, it looks like you have a magnet for the smaller plane. Good idea.

Paul Saffold
05-14-2020, 6:06 AM
I used either a jig saw or coping saw, file, sandpaper. If I was making it now I would use a band saw, entering and exiting through the same kerf.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-14-2020, 9:40 AM
I used either a jig saw or coping saw, file, sandpaper. If I was making it now I would use a band saw, entering and exiting through the same kerf.

Pretty good job with that, impressive.

steven c newman
05-14-2020, 9:43 AM
Will need to print a better label...

Andrew Pitonyak
05-14-2020, 10:12 AM
How did you print on your box? It looks "computer" printed, but it also looks like it is on the box directly. Label maker?

<edit>
Never mind, I can tell from the pictures in your other post about the box. Looks like you wrote with a marker.

steven c newman
05-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Black sharpie....SUPPOSED to have been a Fine point....so...I make a paper label to cover that mess...then add a finish over it. For right now, it will show me what is inside the box....will try for something like this..
Yellow..or green label?

Waiting for an appointment, to get the knee, elbow, and shoulder looked at...and fixed.

J. Greg Jones
05-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Getting back on topic, I Just keep mine in my floor standing tool cabinet, Veritas Large and Medium, and a Lie-Nielsen Small router plane. What I do like is this small tool roll that perfectly holds the blades and fence for the Veritas planes. Made in Nevada by a fellow that goes by the name Yotie on a different forum.

Erich Weidner
05-27-2020, 5:11 PM
The exposed plywood edges I was not a fan of, but it seems like I'm always building things to build and store things, rather than the things I want to build... so I bought it.
Also got a chance to try out GF "Milk" Paint. I like my Veritas Router Plane Box much better now. :)

PS. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to rotate the images... but all the image editors I have on my Windows PC always display the image correctly and I don't see a way to rotate. Oh well.
I can't wait until SMC updates the forum software to something that respects rotation metadata.

Rob Lee
05-27-2020, 6:23 PM
Nice!

Great color choice too.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-27-2020, 7:52 PM
Wow, very nicely done I like the colors on the look

if you need a graphics program that allows you to rotate any way you want search for product called GIMP. it is free and we'll do what you want. I've used it for a long time for a lot of very complicated things. That includes simple things like cutting bits and pieces out and rotating and similar.

Erich Weidner
07-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Nice!

Great color choice too.

Thanks. I'm happy with it.

Now that I added a Veritas medium router plane to my kit I need to modify the box slightly for it. (I see on another thread a couple of wood blocks to box it into the corner should do the trick). I will say I'd like suggest having storage for the Medium plane pre-configured. (Perhaps another cutout? Just a thought).

Bob Jones 5443
07-16-2020, 1:20 AM
First, all these branches make it confusing to follow the thread. I read several posts before I realized this thread started months ago.

Next, Erich, those photos:
1. Email the photo from your phone to yourself.
2. Open the email and click on the photo.
3. Move the photo to somewhere you can find it, and rename it to make things easy. I have a SMC folder on my desktop.
4. Open the photo file and rotate it 90º enough times to make it land right side up, EVEN IF it starts out looking correct! (If it does you'll need four 90º rotations.)
5. Save the file and close it.
6. Finally, start a post and when you attach the file (from your new folder) it will be right side up.

OK, check me on that. Below I have a vertical and a horizontal photo. Let's see if they both come out right.

Now, finally, to my post: I am relieved that Derek's post is so many back because most people won't compare it with my storage method (no jarrah here). My goals were 1) to get the thing off the bench where it had been floating around for literally 18 months. I also needed 2) to store the irons. Next, 3) I wanted everything at arm's length. Finally, 4) it needed to take up minimal space. Solution: cradle for the French cleat wall. All four goals met. I used under 5" of width on the wall and about 8" of height (and no floor, shelf, or cabinet space!). It's right over my table saw when the saw is wheeled away against the wall. And the little cradle is movable; I can just take the whole thing off the wall and put it on the bench when I use the plane. Now for the photos:

436933 436934

Hey, it worked! Photos right side up.

By the way, an eye for detail will note that you don't need a recess under the tool; you just raise the iron a bit off the "floor."

I love this thing. I would perhaps love it much more if it was made of jarrah with fine joinery. Maybe some day. Now I have only about three remaining tools to usher up and off my bench.

Derek, avert your eyes.

Rob Lee
07-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I'm happy with it.

Now that I added a Veritas medium router plane to my kit I need to modify the box slightly for it. (I see on another thread a couple of wood blocks to box it into the corner should do the trick). I will say I'd like suggest having storage for the Medium plane pre-configured. (Perhaps another cutout? Just a thought).

Hi Erich,

Astute observation...and a running change we have already made (Cutout)! Fortunately, it’s an easy user mod - either blocks or recess....

We’re also working on some other boxes (skew rabbets and blocks, small plow.....).

As long as we can get them to market for close to material costs, we do others.

Have also thought or just providing templates for those that do make all their own stuff, jarrah or other other....

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Lee
07-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Bob,

I like the cleat solution!

We prototyped a cleat based wall for the Veritas displays in our stores, but ended up going a different route. I think it’s great for shop use....flexible, strong, and versatile.

Better than pegboard or slatwall, and good for tools, hardware, supplies....

Cheers,

Rob

Andrew Pitonyak
07-16-2020, 12:35 PM
No shame in a utilitarian design. I do like the cleat, but I lack the wall space for it. I like, and dislike, how you stored your cutters. Especially if the cutters will not be often used, they are highly protected from both rust and dust. On the other hand, it takes longer to get to them.

Looks good to me!

glenn bradley
07-16-2020, 12:48 PM

This would be me too.

Derek Cohen
07-16-2020, 1:18 PM
Have also thought or just providing templates for those that do make all their own stuff, jarrah or other other....

Rob, I read that! A template would be most welcome! I would indeed be tempted to make one from Jarrah .... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Phil Gaudio
07-16-2020, 4:50 PM
Why french-fitted on a slab of Kaizen foam of course!

Clifford McGuire
07-28-2020, 12:00 PM
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Derek Cohen, consider yourself flattered. I blatantly ripped off your idea for router plane storage. I had a similar sized opening in my cabinet and it fits in nicely.

The top and bottom pieces of plywood are only screwed together. So, if (what am I saying, when) I get the medium sized plane, I can cut a recess for it as well.

Thanks for the great idea! I'll probably do something similar for my Record 043 and it's extra blades.