PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket table saw guard

jeff oldham
03-02-2020, 10:52 AM
I have the delta 36-725 table saw that lowes sells,,,and prior to that I had the dewalt 7491rs table saw ,,,my question is this,,,on the dewalt the guard and riving knife were all one piece,,,in other words when you wanted to remove it you just pulled a lever and everything the guard and riving knife pulled out,,the delta on the other hand to remove the riving knife you actually have to remove the insert and unlock the riving knife to remove it,,,,i was actually looking for something that would work on the delta like was on the dewalt where you can remove everything at one time without going thru the process of removing the insert and unlocking the riving knife,,,i hope this makes sense,,i tried to put it in words the best that I could

Bruce Lowekamp
03-03-2020, 12:39 PM
I have an older saw without a riving knife, but it seems like the goal of the riving knife is to never be removed. If I understand this saw, the guard and pawls are attached to the knife, which sits at a high level for through and lower level for non-through cuts, and what you don't want to do is go through the effort of raising the blade and removing the insert every time to adjust it. Personally I believe in the antikickback pawls, and would rather have that setup and go through the effort of removing them when not doing a through cut. But you could get an overarm blade guard and leave the riving knife in the lower setting if you don't want to change the setting every time (and would still be safer than removing the riving knife and then leaving it out.)

Bruce

George Bokros
03-03-2020, 3:24 PM
The riving knife needs to be remove to cut dados and rabbets.

Doug Garson
03-03-2020, 4:18 PM
The riving knife needs to be remove to cut dados and rabbets.
Why? My understanding is a riving knife sits just at or below the top of the blade. Seems we've had this discussion before. I think you are confusing riving knife which moves up and down with the blade and a splitter that is a fixed height.

Jacques Gagnon
03-03-2020, 5:55 PM
Why? My understanding is a riving knife sits just at or below the top of the blade. Seems we've had this discussion before. I think you are confusing riving knife which moves up and down with the blade and a splitter that is a fixed height.

Agreed. My after market blade guard (SharkGuard) uses a riving knife that must be adjusted manually but it can be set lower than the blade for non-through cuts.

Charles Lent
03-04-2020, 9:46 AM
I have a "Pop-Up" splitter and anti kick-back pawls on my Unisaw. Delta made it. I can just remove the insert, pull up on the splitter and it snaps into position, then drop the insert back into place. When I don't need it, I reverse the process. I have a Brett Guard over my blade, so this combination works well for me.

Charley

lowell holmes
03-04-2020, 7:00 PM
I made a wooden insert with a wooden riving knife.
It has worked for fifteen years.

Rich Engelhardt
03-06-2020, 4:58 AM
I made a wooden insert with a wooden riving knife.
It has worked for fifteen years.Tried that - didn't work for me. Tried to super glue a cut in half washer to a ZCI - ended up tossing the ZCI.

Bought an MJ Splitter - happiness and peace of mind have returned to my work shop.... ;)

lowell holmes
03-06-2020, 11:03 AM
I have this guard. I put it on the saw after cutting my thumb on the saw. It was a worth the price. It also functions as a dust collector.

http://www.exaktortools.com/index2.htm