PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Weeks Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2020, 9:33 AM
02 Mar 2020

Greetings,
It's been nothing but a week full of working at the day job. However, I did get a bit of time on Saturday to install my new dust boot, anti-static hose and connectors on my Shapeoko 3 XXL cnc. The LOML and I joined some friends for lunch yesterday after church and it was a bit more work for the day job and then the LOML and I relaxed to watch a movie last night. That's all I got done this past week.

So, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Charles Taylor
03-02-2020, 9:47 AM
I got my chair project a little closer to the end:

It's still unarmed and unfinished, but at least now I can sit down and rest for a minute.

Jim Becker
03-02-2020, 7:58 PM
Sad you still have no relief from the "daily grind", Dennis. (There was a country singer dude from your area on Idol last night, BTW...'does a country show on your local PBS station.)

I had a somewhat busy week in many respects. I continued with the careful milling on the pine for my client project...at least until I needed to do a little repair on my J/P when the idler tire came loose for the thicknesser feed. A helpful hint from another worker here on SMC got the tool back in action once I received a small box with the necessary adhesive in it from Amazon. 'Couldn't find it locally. I also did a little bit of CNC work for clients as well as for myself...some small boxes for ETSY sales and....a birdhouse. The latter used some scrap Zip-Wall material left over from our recent roof repair (I wouldn't let the contractor send it to the landfill) which is actually a really nice product to use for this purpose. It's outdoor compatible and that textured surface takes paint really nicely. I'll post a thread for that once all the paint is done. Yea...small project, but fun to do. One other thing that got done was taking in more work from a good client for more charcuterie boards and a very interesting natural edge wall mirror project that I have full artistic control over. I love working with this guy because of his trust in my coming up with something that works. These new pieces will actually be samples to go into a store in Princeton NJ that carries a variety of craftsman-mad and personalized items.

This week started with the Philadelphia Flower Show today and gets back to the last finishing passes on that pine tomorrow followed by setting up the jointery. I'll order the material for the door panels as soon as I have a reasonably accurate sizing figured out and the weather cooperates for delivery. I'll also be cutting those boards for my client mentioned above.

Justin Rapp
03-02-2020, 8:24 PM
I have all the parts milled and cut for the face frame for twin 30" vanity cabinets for the bathroom. Time for assembly!

Paul F Franklin
03-02-2020, 8:43 PM
For me, most of the week was spent driving my desk, but I finished the design for the office built-ins, modeled them in sketchup, and did drawings and layout/cutlist for the flat stock. Will pick up some material this week to build one cabinet as a prototype and then full speed ahead. Also spent time picking out drawer slides and hinges and such and looking at flooring since that's part of the project too. I've pretty much decided to make the jump to spray finishing with these cabinets so have been researching the options there. Homestead is not far from me, so once I've narrowed things down a bit I'll probably reach out to Jeff.

Derek Cohen
03-03-2020, 7:46 AM
I have until the end of this coming weekend to complete the wedding present for my niece, as it still has to be shipped to Sydney. The wedding is at the end of this month. I am doing a little each evening after work.

This weekend I completed the drawer fronts, which are half-blind dovetailed lipped drawers.

https://i.postimg.cc/GpKL2KNh/7a.jpg

Since I had only come across one article on making the lipped drawers - and that predominantly used power tools - and failed to find a single video on the topic, I decided to make one myself:

I cannot post this to the forum as a topic, so include it here for the few who visit this thread. In any event, it is hand tool joinery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Ic08ERaf0

Regards from Perth

Derek