PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax CU300 sawblade question

Rick Potter
02-29-2020, 4:48 PM
Changing blades on this saw is hampered by a plastic tang, which is part of the riving knife holder.

The plastic tang on each side of the blade, requires you to remove the riving knife and it's holder to remove the blade. I can see that it probably is there to keep a loose blade from coming off the arbor if the nut comes loose.

I change blades a lot, and this looks like a lawyer designed it, protecting against all possibilities.

Is there anything I am missing in thinking I should just cut the plastic outside tang off, so I can change blades without R&R the riving knife?

Mike Kees
02-29-2020, 6:53 PM
Rick will it mess up the riving knife holder ? If not I would cut it off. I have modified all kinds of things that were just plain irritating to use.

Rick Potter
03-01-2020, 1:46 AM
Won't affect it one bit.

I was missing the factory bolt that holds the knife on, and just today took the too small 3/8" one the previous owner used, and redid it with a 1/2" one with a nylock nut, that will take even longer to change out, I can trim the tab off without even removing the holder. It is just a 3" long piece of plastic, built in to the holder.

I will try to take a photo tomorrow.

Jim Becker
03-01-2020, 10:08 AM
It sounds like your CU300 is designed differently than my S315WS relative to blade changes. Any chance you can provide a photo or three to visually describe your challenge here? I don't need to remove the riving knife for blade changes. I do need to pull the table insert to get the clearance I need to get 12" blades on/off, but that's four quick fasteners with a hex wrench.

Rick Potter
03-02-2020, 1:43 AM
Here are some pics:

Sorry for the lighting, this is the best I could get...with flash on. It currently has a 10" blade, but it takes 12" and dado's also.

This one is a bit closer. The black plastic piece in the rear of the blade is off one side of the holder, and the one on the front side of the blade is part of the front piece of the holder. Both are just plastic, and stick over the blade far enough you cannot remove the blade without removing the riving knife holder.

Perhaps the best view of the plastic finger on the outside.

All buttoned up.

Any reason you can see that would preclude surgery on that finger of plastic??

Jim Becker
03-02-2020, 8:09 AM
If you are talking about those two black things down near the bottom of the riving knife...I have no idea why they are even needed. There's nothing like that on my S315WS for sure. I can understand needing to reset a riving knife for different blades sometimes, but not why those tangs/guards are needed at that particular spot.

Mike Kees
03-02-2020, 9:21 AM
Calling Doctor ..now.Wonder what the heck the designer was thinking. I definitely would "nip" that off.

Rick Potter
03-04-2020, 2:48 AM
The doctor is in.

Pre-op:

This is what the fingers look like. The riving knife holder is plastic on both sides with fingers front and back. There is a square of steel for strength. I will let the back side finger remain, as it is no problem. You can see why the front finger is blocking removal of the blade.

Post op: The finger has been removed. I left a bit of it attached, and just removed what was needed to access blade without removing riving knife. Rear finger untouched.

Recovery room, all dressed and ready to go. The offending finger has been removed. I wish I had a pic this clear showing the original problem. All the lights in the operating room were on for this one.

Thank you for helping me decide.

I can now remove blade while leaving riving knife in place. With a 10" blade, I don't even have to remove the blade insert.