PDA

View Full Version : What do you stand on?

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
When I remodeled my barn into a shop two years ago I put down a layer of "reasonably attractive" plywood as the finish floor on top of the 3x8 pine planks that were worn wonky from 100 years of animal traffic and settling of the structure.

Never put a single coat of anything on it and it has held up very well. Has developed a wonderful coloration by virtue of spilled glues, paints, oils, blood, snow, tracked in gravel, dog poop, and god knows what else. I love it.

But here's the thing. The area in front of my lathe has become somewhat slippery. Don't know if this is just because I stand there a lot (and other work stations will eventually catch up); or from the various finishing chemicals that get sloshed and sprayed about from time to time; or if my feet are burnishing the plywood from the shavings I'm standing on.

In any event, I had a little fun this afternoon while turning a platter. Was leaning into it pretty good and my right foot nearly slid right out from underneath me. Heart skipped a beat but I recovered. And I'm certain this happened as a result of the newly noticed slippery floor.

I'm interested in hearing similar stories, remedies, opinions, and cautions. Thanks.

Ernie Nyvall
12-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh man, I felt that slip. Skeert me:eek:

LOML just bought me a 3/4" x 4' X 8' sheet of rubber from Tractor supply. It's not the kind with holes in it, which I wouldn't want anyway, but it feels pretty good under my feet and with rubber sole shoes I stick to it. You can cut it to whatever size or shape that fits your peculiar particulars.

Ernie

Oh yea, she just told me it is what they put on the floor of horse trailers.

Jim Becker
12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
I have a large anti-fatique matt that surrounds my Stubby. (Notched out for the legs on the base. It covers the front and tailstock end so no matter what I'm turning or hollowing, I'm on the soft surface.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Andy I got those anti-fatique mats from Sears. I put them down around all my benches. Not only are they anti-slip but are they nice on the feet when you are standing for a long time.

By the way quit stepping in the dog droppings and you wouldn't slip.:D :D

Howie French
12-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Andy,

My shop is in my basement, I have covered most of the concrete with
3/4" 4' by 6' horsestall mats. They have beveled edges and a textured finish and weight 100 lbs each. They cost about $45 apiece and will last more then a lifetime.

They have made a hugh difference to my back.

Howie

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Mats of various pedigrees. Okay. Do they sweep easy?

How about some Non-Skid paint ala Navy style?

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 11:20 PM
I stand on top of about 3" of lathe curlies!!!! Concrete floor under that, but I much prefer standing on the lathe curlies as it is easier on my feet and legs. Pile'em up and stand on'em.....I like it and haven't had any problems so far. I guess I could go high tech and get me a horse trailer mat from Tractor Supply and stand on that....but then I'd have to spend some money for something to stand on. :rolleyes: :D

Loy Hawes
12-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Here you go Andy. No charge.

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Here you go Andy. No charge.

Thanks, Loy. But they look a wee bit small. I take a 10 EEE

Mark Cothren
12-23-2005, 12:12 AM
How about some of that gritty tape that you can buy by the roll? I think it's main use is for ladder rungs. I have a roll of it that I got to use on a deer stand (and never did).

It would keep you from slip slidin' away... if you could get it to stick, that is.

I stand on some foam mats that I got from a lady at work. They really make a big difference in foot fatigue.

Earl Eyre
12-23-2005, 12:58 AM
About two years ago I was in a shoe store for another purpose and happened to mention our concrete floor in the shop--hard and cold and sometimes slippery. He said try these: and handed me a pair of Haflingers. They have rubber soles with big tread, thick cork above the sole and felt top. They are slip on shoes. I always wear them in the shop and keep them on most the time in house and wear them when running to the store. They are great. Not cheap but eliminate the need for mats, etc., completely. Most comfortable things I have ever worn. They totally cushion the concrete floor and insulate your feet completely. I've been even wearing them outside on the icy driveway and no slip.

Earl

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 7:56 AM
I, like Dennis, stand on plenty of chips unless it is that one day a week that I have just cleaned around the lathe. Some of the rubber mats are nice to stand on but, all are dust magnets. But, from your discription a little dust wouldn't be noticed for all the blood, paint or poop...:D

John Hart
12-23-2005, 8:09 AM
I have anti-fatique mats in front of the lathe and I agree with the others that they are great for the feet and also for the back. But then, there's 2 or 3 inches of shavings on top of the mats all the time. Course then, you could also take your router with a straight bit and route an anti-skid grid in front of the lathe just for added assurance. By the way, the anti-fatigue mats sweep up and vacuum better than a bare floor. (it's in the texture)

tod evans
12-23-2005, 8:12 AM
dogs,children,sawdust and on rare occasions concrete

Glenn Hodges
12-23-2005, 9:23 AM
Andy, I bought me a rubber matt from Klingspor, and it is working just fine on the concrete floor.

Jean Holland
12-23-2005, 9:36 AM
I got an anti fatigue mat from the hardware and it wasn't enough. I'm up to three of the large anti fatigue mats from Woodcraft. I got them on sale for $10 each (if you buy three). When I got home I just put them down in front of my lathe. When I went to do some turning, I was lazy and just climbed on top of them all.....so glad I did. My legs and feethold up much better and there is absolutely no threat of slipping.:)

Andy Halterman
12-23-2005, 10:33 AM
If you are having trouble slipping on some plywood, I'd suggest a set of these. As you can see, they hold right well on vertical ice. I doubt the plywood would pose a challenge. :)

Merry Xmas

Andy Halterman

Always ready to share my experience in a helpful manner in Hendersonville, NC™

Doug Shepard
12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
My shop is a concrete floor garage. I've got a couple of anti-fatigue mats but if I'm moving around much, they're not much use. If I'm working in one place, the mats help but my feet still get sore. Even better than the mats: An ex-neighbor gave me 3 pcs of 1" 2'x2' rubber (or synthetic?) tiles from a job he did putting them down on the floor of somebody's home weight room. Those things are very comfy to stand on and have a corrugation to the surface for traction. Not sure where you can find them, but they're great.

David Wilson
12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26578&d=1133043999

Andy I have the sears antifatige mat system in my shop. They are easy to vacume because of the diamond plate patern. Great on the feet. 2'x2' squares with dovetail edges to link mats together. They also come with edge pieces so no exposed dovetiil edges.

Frank Chaffee
12-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Andy,
I think you would be happiest with an anti-fatigue mat. If the edge pieces that David Wilson describes are chamfered they will be easy to sweep around.

If you don’t want mats on the floor tho, there is a urethane rubber available in spray cans that gives good traction. I used some for texturing a part and the overspray onto a concrete floor was quite “grippy”.

The stuff I got at an automotive store was sold for protection of the lower body parts of trucks used off road.

If you try this you may want to experiment on a corner of floor you don’t normally use, as too much grip when rotating ball of foot on floor can be very hard on knee joints.

Good luck.

Frank

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
A small can of laqeur thinner for the floor ...
Three pairs of insoles in my boots.I stand on cement caus Im too lazy to move the mat when I clean up.

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 3:21 PM
Thanks, folks. Guess the mat concept wins. Guess I'll go mat hunting, but this is sure gonna being a fatiguing exercise! Thanks.

John Hart
12-23-2005, 6:06 PM
....but this is sure gonna being a fatiguing exercise!

A "Fatiguing" Exercise!!!! Fatigue Mats!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho!!!! Oh Man! What a gut buster!!! Oh! my sides hurt!...Good one Andy!!!...Whew! :o

:cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 6:40 PM
A "Fatiguing" Exercise!!!! Fatigue Mats!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho!!!! Oh Man! What a gut buster!!! Oh! my sides hurt!...Good one Andy!!!...Whew! :o

:cool:
Weren't that funny. Oh, sorry, I forgot. Those finishes again, huh?

John Hart
12-24-2005, 5:08 AM
Weren't that funny. Oh, sorry, I forgot. Those finishes again, huh?

Yep...hic....The lacquer again! Sorry...I'm better now :o