PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 5625 Router & SawStop Router Lift?

Steve Mathews
02-28-2020, 5:59 PM
Will the Milwaukee 5625 router fit in a SawStop router lift? Anyone with that combination?

glenn bradley
02-28-2020, 9:30 PM
The Mil 5625 is 4.14" is stated as in diameter. The Saw Stop lift says max diameter is 4.2". That didn't seem right but, I just went out and checked my 5625 that I have in a PRL-v1. It measures 4.14".

Steve Mathews
02-28-2020, 9:43 PM
The Mil 5625 is 4.14" is stated as in diameter. The Saw Stop lift says max diameter is 4.2". That didn't seem right but, I just went out and checked my 5625 that I have in a PRL-v1. It measures 4.14".

Thanks Glenn! I was more concerned about the height adjustment sticking out of the side of the Milwaukee router creating a conflict than the diameter, although your mention of it is good to know.

glenn bradley
02-28-2020, 9:44 PM
Thanks Glenn! I was more concerned about the height adjustment sticking out of the side of the Milwaukee router creating a conflict than the diameter, although your mention of it is good to know.

Good call. The PRL has a hole through the billet to allow for this. You can also just remove it via a snap-ring IIRC.

Steve Mathews
02-29-2020, 8:01 AM
Good call. The PRL has a hole through the billet to allow for this. You can also just remove it via a snap-ring IIRC.

Also good to know. I was hesitant purchasing a Milwaukee router over the similar sized Porter Cable without knowing whether it would fit or not. Looks like it will now. Thanks again.

glenn bradley
02-29-2020, 9:40 AM
Then I guess I should chime in that I have been running my 5625 since 2008. It has never had a hiccup. It does nothing but run . . . like a locomotive. Lots of power, smooth variable speed, electronic feedback for consistent torque. I bought a second one a couple of years later for another lift station. Hmmm, reading back over this I sound like a fan. I also use them as hand helds. Love the smooth plunge bases and the fact that you can swap some motors.

I have several bases set up for specific jobs and just drop the 5615 or 5616 motor in as appropriate. I have other brands as well but, the Milwaukees are the only ones I have never had to fix.

Frank Pratt
03-01-2020, 11:08 AM
I have an Excalibur lift, which the SawStop lift was cloned from. Very solid, robust lift. I also use the big Milwaukee in it. You do need a shim for it though. Since Excalibur went out of business, I couldn't get the part from them, so I bought a piece of brass shim stock from Amazon for about $5. It just happened to be the exact right size to wrap around the motor body. I measured the diameter of the motor & the lift clamping collar to get the correct shim thickness.

The router is very good. For hand held use, it's a dream to handle. Easier than my much smaller PC router.

Steve Mathews
03-01-2020, 2:47 PM
I just picked up a Milwaukee 5625-20 and after removing the SawStop lift and examining it further found it had a cutout in the clamping mechanism that matched the location of the height adjustment rod of the router. In fact the lift had other cutouts that allow other routers to be used too. The lift seems to hold onto the router OK but as Frank mentioned may require some shimming because there are some gaps. If the router moves or slips I'll go that route. Otherwise I'll leave it as is. I really like the Milwaukee over the temporary and smaller Porter Cable previously installed. It seems much smoother and quieter.

PS I'm really disappointed with the SawStop customer service and technical help. My question about whether the Milwaukee would fit never mentioned other routers other than their Porter Cable recommendation. They also weren't aware of the cutouts in the clamping mechanism. I should have noticed it myself earlier but everything was already setup with the smaller and available router. I was looking to upgrade to a larger router and wanted to make sure an alternative would fit. SawStop does make some good products including their lift but their technical support needs some improvement. This is the 2nd situation that they weren't up to the task.

Richard Fellinger
02-17-2022, 5:25 PM
I just picked up a Milwaukee 5625-20 and after removing the SawStop lift and examining it further found it had a cutout in the clamping mechanism that matched the location of the height adjustment rod of the router. In fact the lift had other cutouts that allow other routers to be used too. The lift seems to hold onto the router OK but as Frank mentioned may require some shimming because there are some gaps. If the router moves or slips I'll go that route. Otherwise I'll leave it as is. I really like the Milwaukee over the temporary and smaller Porter Cable previously installed. It seems much smoother and quieter.

PS I'm really disappointed with the SawStop customer service and technical help. My question about whether the Milwaukee would fit never mentioned other routers other than their Porter Cable recommendation. They also weren't aware of the cutouts in the clamping mechanism. I should have noticed it myself earlier but everything was already setup with the smaller and available router. I was looking to upgrade to a larger router and wanted to make sure an alternative would fit. SawStop does make some good products including their lift but their technical support needs some improvement. This is the 2nd situation that they weren't up to the task.

Steve,

Thanks for this last update (I know, quite a while ago :))! This is exactly the info I was searching for and am looking to go with the same. Do you have any comments/thoughts on the setup now that you have had it for a while?

Darrin Johnson
01-18-2023, 6:47 PM
Thinking about this setup as well...anyone have any updates or thoughts? What size shim did some of you use?

Thanks~!

Aaron Inami
01-18-2023, 8:24 PM
The Milwalkee 5625 is slightly smaller than the Porter Cable:

Milwalkee 5625 = 4.14" diameter

Porter Cable 7518 = 4.2" diameter

If you are getting the Milwaukee, there are a couple options I see (unless you want to try shimming):

Woodpecker has a specific model for Milwaukee (PRL V2 414):
https://www.woodpeck.com/prl-v2-precision-router-lift-3735.html

The "Imperial" version of the Incra can be adjusted to fit both Porter Cable and Milwaukee:
https://incra.com/router_system_accessories-mast-r-lift-ii.html