PDA

View Full Version : Best Laser Engraving Training Options?

Lisa Luciano
12-22-2005, 9:54 PM
Hello,

My husband and I recently placed an order for an Epilog Mini which we hope to receive in about a month.

Thanks very much to everyone on the forum and particularly Keith O. for helping us make the final laser decision.

We have signed up for Corel classes but would also like to pursue some
laser engraving training (how to's on engraving various materials, housekeeping & maintenance, the basics), preferably before our laser arrives.

I have found books, videos and other offerings on the graphicspro.org site. Has anyone benefited from these? Anything else we can use as a "primer" for this new venture other than the wisdom on this excellent site?

Thanks very much!

Lisa Luciano

Mike Shauer
12-23-2005, 1:25 AM
Welcome Lisa!
I have had my laser for about 2 months now and the best training I have found is from Roy Brewer of Brewer sales. His three CDs give you a very good start into Corel and its uses for lasers. If you do a search you should find him and a web site address. Cheers, Mike

Rose Hamacher
12-23-2005, 6:34 AM
Hi Lisa,

You also might want to check out the clinics offered by Laserbits. I attended the very first one they had in Phoenix a few years back and learned a lot. They have since been offering them at other parts of the US as well. Go to Laserbits.com for info.

Regards,
Rose

Jim A. Walters
12-23-2005, 8:25 AM
I purchased J. Stephen Spence's video and book from Laserbits. It gave me an idea what all was possible with a laser. It was the only training I had prior to finding the Yahoo "Laserengraving" group. Now that I have found Sawmill Creek, I'm in heaven!

Lisa Luciano
12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I sincerely appreciate it!

Lisa

Keith Outten
12-23-2005, 2:45 PM
Lisa,

Your in luck, Mr Brewer is a Member of SawMill Creek and you can send him a Private message from the link below;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=3701

Robin Lake
12-23-2005, 6:12 PM
... Brewer sales ... CDs ... search [to] should find him and a web site address.
Been to the site (brewersales.com??) and did not find the CD's. Is there a different web site?

Robin Lake

Keith Outten
12-23-2005, 7:43 PM
Robin,

Roy's Corel Draw Training Software is sold through the ARA web site at the following address;

http://www.ara.org/products/dsp_cat.cfm?prodcatID=13

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a bit of information from the ARA web page;

ARA is pleased to announce the availability of CorelDRAW Applied CD-ROM tutorials. Produced by Roy Brewer CRM, multiple ARA gold obelisk winner and long-time teacher of CorelDRAW®, these easy to follow step-by-step CD tutorials will expand the skills of both beginning and intermediate level CorelDRAW users. Using these tutorials is easy - pop them in your computer, watch and listen as Roy demonstrates and explains how to modify CorelDRAW files for engraving applications.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It may be available from other sources but this is the only source I have found.

Bob Belt
12-24-2005, 8:16 AM
Hi Lisa,
I don't know where your located, but I attended a 2 day Corel training class given at the Engravers Network in Arlington, Texas given by Robert Hensley and considered it well worth the expense. This was before I purchased a machine or ever even put my hands on one. I was able to visit with both Roy Brewer at Brewer Sales who demonstrated for us the Epilog line and able to visit Sign Warehouse and see the Pinnacle Line of lasers. Though in the end I went with a Universal Laser, the Corel training at Engravers Network was very good.
Bob

Jeanette Brewer
12-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Been to the site (brewersales.com??) and did not find the CD's. Is there a different web site?

Robin,

Thanks for pointing that out. You can find info (as Keith indicated) at the www.ara.org (http://www.ara.org) website OR you will find the same information on the new Engraving Concepts website (Brewer Sales will become Engraving Concepts on 1/1/06). http://www.engravingconcepts.com/ARA_CDs.htm