PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Placement

Pete Staehling
02-28-2020, 10:18 AM
I have a Jet AFS-1000B on the way and think I know where i want to put it, but have a question or two before deciding.

I am thinking that in my shop the best spot is probably on the ceiling 1/3 of the way down the long wall on the side that has at least some of the wall clear of shelving and other obstructions. It probably needs to be on the end opposite the roll up door for clearance reasons. The door to the house happens to be near that corner of the shop. That makes me wonder if putting the filter there is a good or bad thing. I could go to the other side, but that is a more cluttered side with more obstructed air flow.

I also wonder whether the direction of circulation (cw vs ccw) relative to the door placement was something to consider.

One of the primary goals is to help control dust getting into the house. The existing DC system helps, but there is still lots of dust and the battle never seems to end. I am hoping that the filter will be able to control the airborne stuff that seems to always be settling on everything and making it's way into the house.

Mark Daily
02-28-2020, 12:09 PM
I have that filter and have it mounted above my table saw which is halfway down one wall of the shop, and about 18” from the wall. Flow direction doesn’t matter and there will always be stuff on the walls so don’t worry about that.

I would point the exhaust end of the filter away from your entry door and probably along the wall of your tools that produce the most dust.

The general idea is to get the air to flow in a circle around the shop but that usually doesn’t happen unless you have 2 filters mounted on opposite sides of the shop.

Pete Staehling
02-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the comments on location and direction of flow.

The general idea is to get the air to flow in a circle around the shop but that usually doesn’t happen unless you have 2 filters mounted on opposite sides of the shop.
It has quite a bit of flow for my size of shop so I have hopes that it will be able to establish a nice circular flow on it's own. The fact that the space is not too large and close to square should help. If it doesn't I don't see any reason why a fan on the other side wouldn't augment the airflow enough to do the trick. It might not take much. I have one of those little fans that go in the upper corner of a doorway to get heat or AC into a room and might try using that as a little boost to the airflow on the other side of the room if required and try something a little larger if needed. Hopefully none of that will be required.

Mark Daily
02-29-2020, 11:30 AM
I originally considered putting pieces of sheet metal bent into curves, in the corners of the room by the ceiling. Turns out it wasn’t necessary.

Dave Mills
02-29-2020, 11:58 AM
When I installed the same fan in my ~400sf shop, my research told me to install the fan at the longest wall, just like you're describing. I mounted it vertically on that wall, about a foot down from the ceiling. It is not over any tools, and "pulls" air from the direction of the door in to the house. I haven't tested, but I don't really feel like it's made some sort of vortex of air swirling around the room; maybe if I had a second one it would. But it does a good job, I can definitely feel less dust in the air when it's running.