PDA

View Full Version : Outlook email not working after newest win 10 upgrade

Ole Anderson
02-28-2020, 9:35 AM
I have an (obviously) old Outlook 2003 version that has been working fine with Win 10 until the most recent update this week. Mail works fine on my phone and with the Xfinity website on my PC. Outlooks opens fine and everything works except for downloading mail, I can even send email. Any ideas? I googled the problem, but too many confusing answers. I use POP3 as my ingoing mail server. I could use a different mail program, but I have thousands of emails filed in an elaborate Outlook deleted items folder system. Junk mail gets permanently deleted. Any ideas?

Kev Williams
02-29-2020, 12:24 AM
Only suggestion I got, is to get into your server settings and make sure your outgoing port number didn't change, had that happen before when changing computers (outlook express)

Grant Wilkinson
02-29-2020, 7:54 AM
I would uninstall the update first to confirm that is, in fact, what caused your problem. It could be a coincidence, in which case, you might then look at Outlook's settings and compare them to the most recent information provided by your ISP. We lost email connectivity a while ago when our ISP decided to upgrade the security on their mail servers without warning subscribers.

Don Coffman
02-29-2020, 8:56 AM
Have you considered updating Outlook to the current version therefore not disturbing your current folder system?

Barry McFadden
02-29-2020, 9:39 AM
Win 10 does some weird things.... all of a sudden I get a message that my "Microsoft Account has a problem (most likely the password has changed)" .... it hasn't!... I just X out of the message and ignore it. Searched online and lots of people get the same message and it has something to do with Win 10 shared services which from what I gather online is a useless feature anyway. I use Outlook 2007 and recently started getting a message that my Outlook settings are out of date. Again, searched it online and lots getting the same message... I X out of it and ignore it as well as Outlook is working fine. Win 10 also put an envelope icon on my taskbar all of a sudden and did the same on my Win 10 laptop for no reason. I've had this Win 10 desktop for about a year and when I first set it up I had it so that it just logged me in automatically. One morning after a Win 10 update when I turned it on it wanted a password to log in??? Didn't know it obviously as I never had to log in before....Went through the "forgot password" route for something called a Microsoft Account (didn't know I had one) and got it sorted out. A couple of months later (after another update) it wanted me to login again. I knew the password this time but the next time I turned it on it went back to automatic login!.. I've talked to some friends who have all had the same issues... I kind of think Win 10 won't be around long.....

Chuck Wintle
03-02-2020, 9:38 AM
I have an (obviously) old Outlook 2003 version that has been working fine with Win 10 until the most recent update this week. Mail works fine on my phone and with the Xfinity website on my PC. Outlooks opens fine and everything works except for downloading mail, I can even send email. Any ideas? I googled the problem, but too many confusing answers. I use POP3 as my ingoing mail server. I could use a different mail program, but I have thousands of emails filed in an elaborate Outlook deleted items folder system. Junk mail gets permanently deleted. Any ideas?

Try Thunderbird email client. I use it and it is way better than outlook.

Kev Williams
03-02-2020, 12:22 PM
I used outlook express since it first came out. And win7 forced it out. I refuse to use cloud anything except my own domain server, so I tried Thunderbird, and a few others, and hated them. I've tried using my server's email program, hate that too. The one program I found that those familiar with using outlook express will like is one built by some guy, OE Classic. Free to try, I think I paid $29 for the full version. It does everything EXACTLY like outlook express, just has a different look.
https://www.oeclassic.com/

Never used just 'Outlook', but I assume it's similar to OE...

Barry McFadden
03-02-2020, 2:53 PM
It would be nice if that link showed some screenshots of what the program looked like....

Mike Null
03-02-2020, 3:48 PM
Have you attempted to use the repair option in your account settings?

Kev Williams
03-02-2020, 10:00 PM
It would be nice if that link showed some screenshots of what the program looked like....

https://www.oeclassic.com/download

note, you don't have to download :) -- but there's several screenshots at the bottom of the page-

Barry McFadden
03-03-2020, 9:09 AM
https://www.oeclassic.com/download

note, you don't have to download :) -- but there's several screenshots at the bottom of the page-

Thanks....these screenshots weren't listed in the first link of the post....

Ole Anderson
03-03-2020, 9:26 AM
My main reason for wanting to keep the Outlook format was to keep my extensive deleted items folder. Just got to FL and settled down, now I might have some time to investigate the options. Now that my phone's calendar syncs with my wife's I no longer make extensive use of the calendar function. If were to go with OEclassic, would I be able to import my .pst data file and contacts?

Ole Anderson
03-03-2020, 9:28 AM
Have you attempted to use the repair option in your account settings? Looked under tools and not finding any repair options. Possibly not an option in this 17 YO version.

Dave Mills
03-03-2020, 9:53 AM
I would definitely check all the settings associated with the account - ports, authentication, encryption, etc, as compared with either a known working config, or what your mail provider says they need to be.

Ole Anderson
03-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Downloaded (free) OE classic. Appears it will not import my .pst files which is critical. Apparently Outlook Express is different from Outlook.

Ole Anderson
03-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Have you considered updating Outlook to the current version therefore not disturbing your current folder system? Looking at that option now. $69 will also update my old 2007 Word and Excel programs.
Edit: Downloaded Outlook 2016 for $49. Email now working. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Tom M King
03-03-2020, 5:28 PM
We've had no worries since getting the automatic updates for everything Microsoft for the once a year fee. They download the latest, greatest whenever it comes out, and no problems. I can't remember how many years it's been now that we've been doing that, but long enough that I would be hard pressed to figure out what was wrong if anything didn't work, and I've been in OS's since it was CP/M, and then DOS. Even back when Windows first came out, I was often back in DOS to get something fixed. No worries for years now.

Computers have gotten more troublefree too. I just build a new one every 6 or 7 years now, so they can keep up. That used to be every couple of years.

Derek Meyer
03-03-2020, 6:29 PM
I've been using Microsoft Office since 1994, when I was in college. I bought Office 4.3 Pro (on 31 floppies) and then bought Office 95 (CD-ROM! Yes!). I got Office 97 and 2000 through work, then skipped Office 2003 and went to 2007.

For the last few years I've had an Office 365 subscription. It is $99 a year and allows me to install Office on up to 5 machines, as well as my mobile devices (phones and tablets). Now, my wife and I can both have Office on our desktops and laptops, and our phones and her tablet. It's worked out well and I think it's a good value. It's nice to always have up-to-date apps and security features.

Derek

Tom M King
03-03-2020, 7:47 PM
And worth something not to even have to think about it.

Jim Becker
03-03-2020, 8:40 PM
I also have been using the Office 365 subscription for years now. As a retired IT/telecom professional, I prefer updated software for any number of reasons and the fact that several family members can use it combined with the 1TB of storage per is icing on the cake. I actually started doing this when I went BYOD for work back in 2012 and haven't looked back. I don't pay for storage anywhere else anymore, so that hundred bucks a year goes a long way.