PDA

View Full Version : What a beauty - Dewalt RAS PICS

Steve Mathews
02-27-2020, 1:54 PM
A radial arm saw wasn't in my sights but after seeing one on Craigslist and later up close I couldn't resist bringing it home. It's a 1/2 hp Model MBC 27. Hard to explain but there's something about it that was appealing to me. The small motor seems to cut through the small stuff just fine. I get a fuzzy feeling when looking at the nameplates where they show MADE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA not just made in USA. It's beefy beyond what it needs to be with bakelite knobs and just plain cool looking. This should be fun to use and have in the shop.

John TenEyck
02-27-2020, 3:42 PM
She's a beauty. Those are great trim saws.

John

George Makra
02-27-2020, 4:07 PM
Radial arm saws re great they get a bad rap cause people dont know how to set them up correctly.
Once its dialed in it puts chop boxes to shame.
There is a book on RAS by a guy named mister saw dust and its well worth getting you hands on one.
There are some videos on you tube on setting up the RAS table short and to the point also well worth viewing.
A day of cussing to dial it in' and your set.
The test for accuracy is take a piece of hard wood and cut and rotate one piece and if the cut is perfect as you rotate through the sides.

Earl McLain
02-27-2020, 7:50 PM
Nice saw--fully understand. My 1957 GWI is a steady performer.
earl

Steve Mathews
02-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Radial arm saws re great they get a bad rap cause people dont know how to set them up correctly.
Once its dialed in it puts chop boxes to shame.
There is a book on RAS by a guy named mister saw dust and its well worth getting you hands on one.
There are some videos on you tube on setting up the RAS table short and to the point also well worth viewing.
A day of cussing to dial it in' and your set.
The test for accuracy is take a piece of hard wood and cut and rotate one piece and if the cut is perfect as you rotate through the sides.

I read the first chapter of Mr. Sawdust online and enjoyed the folksy writing. Now I'm searching for a full copy of the book or pamphlet as it may be.

Jon Nuckles
02-28-2020, 12:15 PM
I read the first chapter of Mr. Sawdust online and enjoyed the folksy writing. Now I'm searching for a full copy of the book or pamphlet as it may be.

I think I saw a copy for sale on the OWWM site very recently. If I were not planning to downsize my shop space soon, one of these old RAS would be on my list to buy.

lowell holmes
02-28-2020, 12:16 PM
I have one.:)