PDA

View Full Version : Indecision paralysis: workbench edition

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 1:00 PM
Hey folks! I was about ready to start converting a slab of red oak into a six-and-a-half-foot long bench, when a realization hit me: I was planning on a six foot bench because that's what would fit.... in my old shop.

In my new shop, a ten foot bench would fit without trouble, although that's definitely bigger than I need. I'm currently considering a few options, and I'd be interested in input. Unfortunately, I decided to do some research before making a decision, and now I'm stuck. I've gone through Landis' "Workbench Book", both of Schwarz's workbench books, and a whole lot of woodworking magazines and articles/videos on the internet, and now I have too many options to make a decision.

1) Go with the orginal plan. I've got a slab of red oak, that should wind up around 3"x11"x78" once it's been planed and squared. I have enough bits and pieces around that I'd wind up with something akin to Frank Klausz's bench, with a shoulder vise and a tail vise. I'd add a bit of softer wood behind the red oak to bring it up to 18" depth, give or take.

2) Build something akin to a Nicholson, 1 1/2" x 18-24" x 96", depending on what lumber I wound up with. I'd probably do a leg vise and a wagon vise in this instance, but it would be longer before I could build it, since I'd have to come up with the money to build it.

3) Buy new cheap wood (probably douglas fir, since that's what is available cheap near me) and build a laminated top on the order of 3"x18"x96", with a tail vise and some sort of face vise. I like the idea of the shoulder vise, but if I'm not using the oak for the top, I could use some of it as a leg vise. This would probably end up something like a Shaker bench, with storage filling most of the space under the bench top, though leaving 6" or so for dogs and holdfasts. Like the Nicholson, that would have to wait somewhat on buying lumber.

My current bench is 24"x48", and I'd be comfortable losing six inches at the back, since I hardly ever use that for anything but storing shavings and losing pencils. It's got a leg vise at the front left, and an old metal face vise at the right end.

Anyway, I'd be interested in opinions! I've already got too many, so why not add more?

Jim Koepke
02-27-2020, 1:29 PM
My opinion which isn't original, work with what you have.

My only reason for going with a different solution is if your work requires a longer bench.

My quest toward building a bench has been stumbling for more than a decade. Last week some of the 4X4s that were going to be legs on a bench, started before moving to Washington, were cut to length to be turned into cross braces for leg assemblies for a bench that has been long delayed.

Don't let the paralysis of analysis keep you from moving forward.

jtk

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 2:44 PM
My opinion which isn't original, work with what you have.

My only reason for going with a different solution is if your work requires a longer bench.

My quest toward building a bench has been stumbling for more than a decade. Last week some of the 4X4s that were going to be legs on a bench, started before moving to Washington, were cut to length to be turned into cross braces for leg assemblies for a bench that has been long delayed.

Don't let the paralysis of analysis keep you from moving forward.

jtk

Yeah... while the bench I have has served me well, it's just not long enough. Planing a board more than about 45" long is challenging, and I'm likely going to start work on a project that's a little over five feet long pretty soon. I'll manage, but it would be really nice to have a longer bench.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jim Koepke
02-27-2020, 3:01 PM
Yeah... while the bench I have has served me well, it's just not long enough. Planing a board more than about 45" long is challenging, and I'm likely going to start work on a project that's a little over five feet long pretty soon. I'll manage, but it would be really nice to have a longer bench.

Thanks for your thoughts!

My current bench is only five feet long. It isn't too difficult to edge plane an eight foot long board. Face planing such when it is one by pine is a different story.

Thicker pieces are not so difficult when they a longer than the bench:

That hunk of poplar is two feet longer than the bench.

It helps to have a five gallon bucket full of cement holding the bench down.

jtk

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 4:01 PM
Yup! As you say, I can edge plane a long board, but face planing thinner boards is the problem. Unfortunately I can't see your image, but I assume it's a thick piece of poplar.

When I did the math, I figured my bench weighs a couple hundred pounds: the top is four layers of 3/4" plywood, and the frame is made of douglas fir 4x4 and 2x4, with some storage at the bottom for screws, nails, and sharpeners. It's pretty solid, and nothing moves when I'm planing, which is nice. I'd just like more space!

Paul F Franklin
02-27-2020, 4:01 PM
Boy have I been there when it comes to analysis paralysis and overthinking!

So, might as well add to the fray.

I think the best combination is a bench that's long enough for most of the work you do most often and a separate big assembly bench where you can work with sheet goods and larger items. Obviously, that takes up a lot of space however.

Most everything you can build on a small bench you can build on a big bench, but there can be some small losses in efficiency that add up over a course of a project or many projects. Think about where your tools will be; it's easier to have more tools within easy reach when your bench is a little smaller. I have my most used tools right under the bench, but lesser used tools are a few steps away because my bench is long. Take those steps a hundred times during a project and they add up to wasted time and effort. (not to mention that those few steps seem to be enough for my brain to forget what I needed!)

It works the other way too; most things you can build on a big bench you can build on a smaller bench. But you may spend more time moving workpieces, clamping and unclamping, rigging up temporary support, etc.

If the bench is against a wall (not my preference) then 22-24 inches is probably about the deepest you want to go. If it's out in the open, it can be wider, but that means you can't just use a clamp to clamp smaller pieces to the bench, you have to rely more on holdfasts or other hold-downs. Again, the scale of the bench is best matched to the scale of your most common work.

I made my bench about 8' long because I had the space and often work on larger items. But don't make it so long that you don't have enough room around it to work.

IMO, if you have a front vise, make the inner jaw flush with the front of the bench. I don't buy the idea of having "hand" room behind the workpiece clamped in a vise. In the rare case when you might want that, just drop a piece of scrap in the vise behind the workpiece. It's far more likely (again, IMO) that you will want to clamp a long board to the front of the bench while it's in the vise and now you are hunting for the scrap every time you do it.

In the end, just take your best stab. You will find ways to work around any minor shortcomings soon enough. Don't assume this bench will be your last bench. Even if you nail it on the first try, the type of work you do my very well change over the years and you'll end up wanting something different. Good luck and have fun!

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 4:49 PM
Ah, the joy of so many options. Aren't you glad we have the internet for things like this?

Almost every tool lives in the Dutch-style toolchest immediately behind me when I'm at the bench. I do have a tool rack on my current bench, where I hang chisels and saws I'm currently using, but everything gets put away at the end of the day so I can clear the debris off my bench without hitting the sharp bits with my hands.

The bench will be free standing: I've done both, now, and I definitely like being able to walk around to work on something from the back if I want. I'll absolutely be building a lower assembly bench: I've actually got a sheet of plywood on sawhorses right now for the cabinets I'm building for a friend. Especially on the bench I have now, it's just too small for large assemblies.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

Jim Koepke
02-27-2020, 6:39 PM
Unfortunately I can't see your image, but I assume it's a thick piece of poplar.

Yes, it is 4"X10-1/2"X7'. A fun dance moving it around the shop.

jtk

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 6:52 PM
Nice! That's a big chunk of wood, alright!

Jim Matthews
02-27-2020, 7:45 PM
What's the longest piece of lumber you can comfortably handle in your shop?

I typically work less than 40", max.

The longest assembled piece I can maneuver out the basement bulkhead is 6 feet- allowing for clearance under the overhead casing.

If the bench will be hard against a wall, will it just become a "landing strip" for tools?
(I've met some woodworkers who are tidy, I'm not.)

Andy McKenzie
02-27-2020, 8:42 PM
What's the longest piece of lumber you can comfortably handle in your shop?

I typically work less than 40", max.

The longest assembled piece I can maneuver out the basement bulkhead is 6 feet- allowing for clearance under the overhead casing.

If the bench will be hard against a wall, will it just become a "landing strip" for tools?
(I've met some woodworkers who are tidy, I'm not.)

I can work with a 10' board easily. 12' would be a stretch, and I doubt I could manage anything longer. It's a basement shop, but fortunately in a relatively new house, so the ceiling is nearly 8' up. The real limitation is width of a finished piece... the stairway up is only about 3' across, and there's a door about the same size at the top. We moved in about a year ago, and "good space for a shop, or cheap enough I can build one" was a non-negotiable entry on the feature list. (The garage is also insulated, and can be heated, although not cheaply, which makes working out there possible, if necessary.)

The bench will be free standing: I like having open space in front of me while I work, and since I have the option that's what I'm doing. There's a tool rack on my current bench, and I'll be building some kind of rack on the new bench, but mostly my tools get put away. At our last house my permanent space was about 70" x 70", with a ceiling under 7'. I could expand while I was working, but everything, including lumber, needed to fit back into that space when I was done. I learned to keep my tools put away in that shop, since there really wasn't an alternative.

Robert Hazelwood
02-27-2020, 9:30 PM
Longer is better, but my current bench is about the length of your slab and it works well. Only a couple of times have I exceeded the length with a workpiece and it wasn't too much of a hassle to rig up a way to support it.

Depends on the scale of your work. If you think you might build a lot of dining tables or entry doors then build a ten footer ��

Andy McKenzie
02-28-2020, 10:18 AM
Longer is better, but my current bench is about the length of your slab and it works well. Only a couple of times have I exceeded the length with a workpiece and it wasn't too much of a hassle to rig up a way to support it.

Depends on the scale of your work. If you think you might build a lot of dining tables or entry doors then build a ten footer ��

Thanks! Part of the problem is that I'm not sure what I'm going to end up making. This is the first time in a decade I've had access to electricity in my shop, so I've almost entirely made smaller things. Now that I have space (and power tools for long rip cuts), I have no idea what I need. 8-)

mike stenson
02-28-2020, 10:40 AM
My bench is currently about 6' x 2'. To be very honest, there's been nothing I've done on it that caused a problem other than assembly. I am currently pondering making a longer bench, but ONLY because I'm unhappy with the work holding on my current one and have a larger space (and I have found I like to leave things on my bench). You'll build more than a couple benches in life. My advise is to build what you planned, and use it :)

Andy McKenzie
02-28-2020, 10:54 AM
My bench is currently about 6' x 2'. To be very honest, there's been nothing I've done on it that caused a problem other than assembly. I am currently pondering making a longer bench, but ONLY because I'm unhappy with the work holding on my current one and have a larger space (and I have found I like to leave things on my bench). You'll build more than a couple benches in life. My advise is to build what you planned, and use it :)

Thanks, Mike! That's definitely encouraging. And I suppose if I decide I really want a bigger bench I can find space for a third. :D

David Eisenhauer
02-28-2020, 11:21 AM
I have an 8' long split top Ruobo style and typically work on house-sized furniture projects. I'm guessing a 6' long bench would work, but I am glad for the extra 2' of length to use for whatever. My bench is freestanding so I can use all sides of it and can have a couple of things (with their associated tools out) going on at the same time if I want to. Would a 10' long bench fall into the same category? Could be, but I won't know about it. I'll bet most benches fall between the 6' and 8' length and work well. Best pick a size and get started Andy, we are waiting for bench project photos.

bill epstein
02-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Assembly has been mentioned several times here in relation to bench size. Back when I was making furniture with the same size bench I have now, 24" x 60", the 24" width was an aid in getting at clamp handles and positioning clamps. Combined with a pipe clamp fixture I made even a 6 drawer low boy could be easily accommodated.

I took a 2x6x72 and drilled 3/4" holes every 6" down its exact middle, then ripped down the center line yielding two lengths with half circle cut-outs. Glued and screwed those to the outer edges of a 36"x 72" piece of 3/4 melamine board. Held the clamps from drifting and high enough above the fixture sides to let the work piece sit on the clamps, if necessary for alignment. One could just as easily cut slits for bar clamps.

I also had a torsion box outfeed table that did double duty as an assembly table.

mike stenson
02-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Assembly has been mentioned several times here in relation to bench size. Back when I was making furniture with the same size bench I have now, 24" x 60", the 24" width was an aid in getting at clamp handles and positioning clamps. Combined with a pipe clamp fixture I made even a 6 drawer low boy could be easily accommodated.

I took a 2x6x72 and drilled 3/4" holes every 6" down its exact middle, then ripped down the center line yielding two lengths with half circle cut-outs. Glued and screwed those to the outer edges of a 36"x 72" piece of 3/4 melamine board. Held the clamps from drifting and high enough above the fixture sides to let the work piece sit on the clamps, if necessary for alignment. One could just as easily cut slits for bar clamps.

I also had a torsion box outfeed table that did double duty as an assembly table.

Yea, both of these are great solutions if you're lacking room for a dedicated assembly table. I only mentioned it because it was the sole limitation I ran into

Prashun Patel
02-28-2020, 11:42 AM
IMHO, the right workbench is highly personal and dependent on what you work on and how you like to work.

My preferred size, location, vise type & positioning, storage solution are all right for me only. This has been revealed to me over time.

So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve.

One thing I would say is build for utility - not aesthetics.

mike stenson
02-28-2020, 11:43 AM
My preferred size, location, vise type & positioning, storage solution are all right for me only. This has been revealed to me over time.

How did you discover this, without building them?

glenn bradley
02-28-2020, 12:03 PM
I can only say that I am on my third bench since 2002. This one may be a keeper but, I'm not sure. Some things do not need to be stressed over quite so much. This won't be your last bench or router bit or hand plane, just pick one ;-)

James Pallas
02-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Andy, Not knowing your direction for what you will build makes for a hard decision. Tom Bussey, on this forum, built a really nice bench. One more traditional on one side and more English on the other. Ken Hatch has some expertise with Moravian style, also on this forum. For my latest bench I chose a Noden Adjust a Bench, a necessity for me. I think that anything over 8 feet makes it difficult if you plan to work on both sides. It may not seem like it but it’s a long way around a 12 footer or even a 10 footer. Good luck on trying for a Swiss Army knife bench.

steven c newman
02-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Or...just go out and build a bench..
What I have been using..for a few years..

Andy McKenzie
02-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Andy, Not knowing your direction for what you will build makes for a hard decision. Tom Bussey, on this forum, built a really nice bench. One more traditional on one side and more English on the other. Ken Hatch has some expertise with Moravian style, also on this forum. For my latest bench I chose a Noden Adjust a Bench, a necessity for me. I think that anything over 8 feet makes it difficult if you plan to work on both sides. It may not seem like it but it’s a long way around a 12 footer or even a 10 footer. Good luck on trying for a Swiss Army knife bench.

I'm definitely not going more than 8': more than that and I'll just start pushing everything to one end instead of putting it away.

Just at the moment (I may well change my mind four times in the next 10 minutes) I'm leaning towards using the oak, using the metal screw I have for a leg vise, and making a wood screw for a traditional tail vise. It would mean a minimum of new material to purchase, and a much quicker bench than trying to laminate a top.

We'll see what I do! I've got to finish the cabinets I'm making first, but I think (hope) I'm going to have that done this weekend. We've got a lot scheduled, but I should be able to fit it in.

Prashun Patel
02-28-2020, 2:21 PM
"How did you discover this, without building them?"

I said, "So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve."

mike stenson
02-28-2020, 3:27 PM
"How did you discover this, without building them?"

I said, "So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve."

I still do not fully understand what you mean, but English isn't my first language.

Andy McKenzie
02-28-2020, 4:47 PM
I still do not fully understand what you mean, but English isn't my first language.

English is a weird language. What he means, I think, is that he built a bunch of cheap benches to see what he liked.

mike stenson
02-28-2020, 4:48 PM
English is a weird language. What he means, I think, is that he built a bunch of cheap benches to see what he liked.

Thanks. It is, I've spoken it daily for decades now. It can be so vague as to appear to say nothing at times :(

Andy McKenzie
02-28-2020, 4:51 PM
That it can!

steven c newman
02-28-2020, 5:07 PM
Thanks. It is, I've spoken it daily for decades now. It can be so vague as to appear to say nothing at times :(

Makes it easy to run for Congress, doesn't it :D

That is actually the third bench I have built..not counting tablesaw-bench.....they were either too lightweight....or too narrow...first one was almost the same as what Harbor Freight sells, now-a-days....without the drawers....

ken hatch
02-28-2020, 6:54 PM

Mike,

Try speaking and understanding Texan while living with a Scot :).

ken

Malcolm McLeod
02-28-2020, 9:31 PM
Mike,

ken

I fail to see the problem here....:confused:

Jim Matthews
02-29-2020, 8:17 AM
Mike,

ken

Back in my courting daze, my future wife and I visited her former classmate in NorTex, town of Denton.

They both speak the flat, received pronunciation of most college educated Americans.

Afterwards, we stopped at a DQ for soft serve and were flummoxed when the sweet young thing behind the counter repeatedly asked, "Wot saws?" was desired.

In frustration, she clarified small, medium or lahj.

We eventually moved to Coastal Mass, where it's worse.

steven c newman
02-29-2020, 9:18 AM
Arkansas vs New Hampshire.....with an Ohio Mick to translate....was a good thing I spoke Ohio Hillbilly as well....

OP...just get a couple 2 x 12 x 8"....lay them on your current bench.....keep trying different lengths ( and heights) until you find what fits....you. Nobody else on this site ill be using YOUR bench...so, it is up to you to find out what fits you.....and the space in which you have to work in.

Lastly...it is a WORK bench...not "Fine Furniture" or an "Alter to the Woodworking Gods". Save all the fancy wood for a nice table, or cabinet. Because, every nick or hole that shows up on the surface of a bench tells a story. A "Pristine" and flawless and spotless bench....usually means nothing was getting done on it.

Prashun Patel
02-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Sorry, Mike. I did not intend to be glib. What I meant to the OP was: Don't spend a great deal of time or money on this bench so that eventually, when you realize what is important to you, you can scrap this bench without regret.