PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector for table saw?

Travis Conner
02-26-2020, 8:01 PM
Anyone use a dust collector for your table saw? I find it's best just to shove the hose on periodically to suck it all out at once. Just as long as you're not filling it up to the motor.

glenn bradley
02-26-2020, 8:12 PM
Well, this should start some conversation :-) A fundamental of dust collection is to collect the fine dust at the source to keep it from becoming airborne. Although your method is good at collecting spoil you are not really collecting any fine dust except that which is shifted down into the spoil. If that is working for you, rock on. A lot of other people are looking for something else.

Phillip Mitchell
02-26-2020, 8:48 PM
*ahem*

Justin Rapp
02-26-2020, 9:11 PM
Hmmm...

At this point with this poster, I have GOT to agree with you. He is all over the place with non-sense posts but joined 6 years ago? Hmmm MAkes me wonder if this is a hacked account.

Matt Day
02-26-2020, 9:31 PM
Seems to be a few trolls around lately. Some posts seem ludicrous.

Travis Conner
02-26-2020, 11:07 PM
I've never noticed much dust in the air from it. Other tools, yes but since it's a cabinet saw it seems like most just goes down into the cabinet.

Matt Day
02-27-2020, 7:15 AM
That proves it. Certified troll.

nicholas mitchell
02-27-2020, 8:07 AM
I use a Dyson fan which I mount to the saw table which blows the sawdust away from the blade and gets directed straight into my homemade sawdust burner that I’ve got setup on my workbench in the middle of the shop. Works great!

What?

Jacob Reverb
02-27-2020, 8:33 AM
Thank God for hall monitors.

Waaaaaaay too many people walking around without legitimate hall passes!

Jim Becker
02-27-2020, 9:54 AM
I've never noticed much dust in the air from it. Other tools, yes but since it's a cabinet saw it seems like most just goes down into the cabinet.
The most dangerous dust isn't visible or noticable and a lot of material comes off the top of the blade. It doesn't matter what kind of table saw it is...from a $200 cheap portable all the way up to a big slider that sells for $10-20K or more.

Frank Pratt
02-27-2020, 10:20 AM
After reading this member's posts over the past couple of weeks, I have remained silent for too long. @Travis Connor, you need to back right away from your shop & any tools therein. Like right now. It's a wonder you still have all your digits & appendages & that your tools aren't all ruined (making assumptions here).

Spend a solid week or two watching YouTubes & reading about woodworking & the save operation of tools & machinery. There's a wealth of great material out there that's free for the taking. Forums like this one are a great resource, but your posts have been so have been so ridiculous and show such a lack of the most basic understanding that you are not going to get any serious replies.

I apologize for being so harsh, and my intention is not to be mean, but if you continue in this vein, you'll either A) quit the hobby out of frustration, or B) quit the hobby because you've cut off something vital or busted all your tools.

Ole Anderson
02-28-2020, 9:46 AM
We need a like button...

Tom Dixon
02-28-2020, 10:02 AM
We need a like button...

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3MMG783p7VBlkEU/giphy.gif

Matthew Curtis
02-28-2020, 3:31 PM
I apologize for being so harsh, and my intention is not to be mean, but if you continue in this vein, you'll either A) quit the hobby out of frustration, or B) quit the hobby because you've cut off something vital or busted all your tools.

Frank,

Your are forgetting about option C. That he will quit because of people that are rude and unwilling to help him get answers to his questions. I myself have asked basic questions. Sure I could have looked on Youtube, but feel that Youtube is not the best place for answers. Just because you feel his questions are "ridiculous" does not mean he should not ask them.

Travis,

Continue to ask all the questions you want. I hope most of us here will help if we can and not shame you for asking questions.

Ben Rivel
02-28-2020, 5:31 PM
LOL! Mista Conna, you shall not operate tools!!!!

Larry Frank
02-28-2020, 7:24 PM
I think the OP is off base with his observations. I often get quite a bit of dust coming off the top of the blade. Also, I do not agree with several of his observations in other threads. I would not call him a troll and hope he learns some things on the forum.

Phillip Mitchell
02-29-2020, 9:11 AM
I think it’s up for debate whether the OP is trolling us or not, but if you take a look back at both the subject matter and actual details / responses he’s given in the majority of his posts it isn’t far fetched to arrive at the conclusion that he could very well be trolling us with over the top newbie questions and responses.

If he’s not a troll and truly looking for information...this forum (and the internet in general) is full of tons of valuable information on pretty much all the newbie questions he’s posted about if he would simply look. Then again, some folks just say or type whatever is on their minds with no filter or prior research, which is not something I can identify with.

Jim Becker
02-29-2020, 9:16 AM
We're not in middle school anymore, so...enough of the "troll talk", please. It doesn't really matter. Quality answers still help others over time regardless.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Phillip Mitchell
02-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Noted.

Frank Pratt
02-29-2020, 7:22 PM
Frank,

Your are forgetting about option C. That he will quit because of people that are rude and unwilling to help him get answers to his questions. I myself have asked basic questions. Sure I could have looked on Youtube, but feel that Youtube is not the best place for answers. Just because you feel his questions are "ridiculous" does not mean he should not ask them.

I did think hard before posting that. I truly believe, after reading his posts on this & other threads, that he does need to take a pause & let his learning catch up before he hurts himself. I didn't intend to say that ridiculous questions shouldn't be asked, but that the nature of the questions revealed his lack of understanding about things he was doing. It's like you should arm yourself with some basic knowledge about driving before you start driving & then ask the questions.

Jim Andrew
03-01-2020, 8:47 AM
Even if you did not have a DC in your shop, using a shark guard with a shop vac would be a huge improvement when using a table saw. I remember getting dust in my eye before getting the shark guard, even though I had the cabinet on my unisaw hooked up to the DC.

Thomas Wilson
03-01-2020, 9:46 PM
Hey Travis,

I come from the generation of woodworkers before dust collection was available. My trusty Unisaw has no dust collection port at all. I shoveled it out when the sawdust was knee deep. I think I am suffering some consequences. There are several levels of improvement. The lowest level is the automated cabinet shovel. This dust collection system draws out the coarse saw dust from the bottom of the cabinet that otherwise would have collected there by gravity. It saves shoveling but does not reduce exposure to fine dust. The next level focuses on the dust above the table. I think an overarm collector with high volumetric flow addresses most of the fine dust release. The highest level of dust collection is to collect at the blade. A shroud that focuses air flow across the gullets pulls the dust, both fine and coarse, toward collection. This is the goal, to collect dust close to the source. You collect more dust for less effort that way. I cannot regain the lung function I have lost to dust. You are younger. Lower dust levels in every way possible.

TW

Bill Dufour
03-02-2020, 9:35 AM
He is coming form a more then 100 year old perspective. I looked and did not find a picture I have seen of the Greene & Greene workshop with sawdust piled about one foot high around the machines. I did find a more modern view with dust collection and separate electric motors for each machines. Still this was probably all before WW1.
In metal working chip conveyers are still the best option.
Bil lD

https://www.chipstone.org/imgpublications/1/15/388/28-cook1993.jpg