PDA

View Full Version : David Marks Bench Complete

Jay Knoll
12-22-2005, 7:44 PM
Hi everyone

Well, it isn't exactly an Xmas present but I did finally finish the David Marks bench.

I didn't take any progress pictures since there are very detailed directions on the web here

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26927,00.html

This was a fun project. I did a few things different from the directions

I used Sapele instead of walnut

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/Inventory/sapele.html (didn't get it from Hearne but their website description is great.)

I ebonized the supports with India ink instead of carving them.

I didn't put copper on the bottom of the bases, and I had the sheet metal place cut the pieces to size (didn't seem that I needed to buy a bi metal blade for the band saw when they would cut for me.)

I finished the top with Formby's Tung Oil Finish followed by several coats of Renaissance Wax. Used the wax on the patina on the bases as well.

Perhaps the hardest thing after finding the chemicals for the patina was waiting 3 weeks to see what the final outcome would be. SWMBO is pleased!

Here are some pics, in the living room and in the bedroom where it will live.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2005, 7:48 PM
Jay they turned out very well indeed. It is beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Aaron Montgomery
12-22-2005, 7:49 PM
All I can say is SWEET!! Really nice job - looks great!

Zahid Naqvi
12-22-2005, 7:50 PM
Wonderful job Jay, it turned out great.

Mark Singer
12-22-2005, 7:50 PM
Jay,
This is a great design and a simple one that relies on relationships between seperate elements: the metal base and the wood top. As with many of Marks designs there is an Asian overtone....simple ...zen like...nothing can be taken away and nothing should be added...Great job!

Dick Parr
12-22-2005, 7:55 PM
I liked that bench when David made it on TV and you did him proud. That is a wonderful looking bench Jay, you did a great job.:)

Richard Wolf
12-22-2005, 8:02 PM
Great job!

Richard

Jay Knoll
12-22-2005, 8:05 PM
I appreciate your kind thoughts! Here is a shot of the top, I ran out of pic space on the first post.

Jay

John Timberlake
12-22-2005, 8:17 PM
Very nice piece. The base looks like marble in the pics. What chemicals and method of treatment did you use?

Corey Hallagan
12-22-2005, 8:18 PM
That looks awesome Jay! Nice job!

Corey

Jay Knoll
12-22-2005, 8:23 PM
John

Here are the directions on the base

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_chairs_stools_benches/article/0,2049,DIY_14439_2276380,00.html

I couldn't find the chemicals in my small town, but was able to find some patina solution at a craft store. There was only one small bottle so I added more hot water and lots of salt to stretch out the mixture.

Jay

John Miliunas
12-22-2005, 8:31 PM
Well done, Jay! Simple designs are great, especially when so much attention is paid to the details! I like it. Nice job, my friend!:) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2005, 8:31 PM
Excellent execution Jay! I like the figure in the wood, the patina on the base, the way the two are mated....the top almost feels like it's floating! Nice!

Jason Tuinstra
12-22-2005, 9:20 PM
Jay, the funish turned out really well. I remember seeing this episode. It looks spot on. And what a great place for it as well, though if that were at the end of our bed it would probably not be used as a bench. More like a second dresser :p Great project

David Pettibone
12-22-2005, 9:27 PM
Outstanding job sir!!! By reproducing anything made by David Marks and doing such a nice job with it, you get nothing short of an A+. You should email him one of your pictures. I'd bet dimes to dollars he'd like it and probably respond. It looks fantastic!!:)
Keep it up!

David

Dev Emch
12-22-2005, 9:28 PM
First of all, the pedestals are great. They look like you used a type of granite stone. Really Cool.

Secondly, how do you guys keep things so clean and neat! My bedroom looks like katrina rampaged a tool crib! My ultimate dream is to get things looking as neat and clean as your bedroom.

Roger Myers
12-22-2005, 9:41 PM
Jay,
That bench came out beautiful.... love the combination of materials, and as Mark said, nothing can be taken away, and nothing should be added...except my compliments to your craftsmenship!

Kent Cori
12-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Great job Jay! I really like the design too.

Steve Wargo
12-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Excellent piece. having seen the episode I think you did a great job. Everything looks crisp and clean.

Charles Bruno
12-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Very nice Jay! Good Job on the patina. Where did you find the chemicals for it?

Marc Ward
12-23-2005, 12:16 AM
I am doing the same project. Also using Sapele. The top is done except for the mortises. The post are done, and the bases are getting their 3 week patina treatment now.

Did you wait three weeks as instructed?

I finished my bench with Seal-a-Cell CLEAR and Arm-R-Seal.

I had a devil of a time getting the copper onto the bases. Did you have problems? What did you use? I have at least three different adhesives in there...hope they hold.

I did not put copper on the bottom, either. I did not carve the wooden supports...just made them out of scrap mahogony and used the same finish as the bench.

I did buy all the chemical and mixed up a witch's brew according to his instructions. Will be anxious to see how this turns out.

Will post pics upon completion.

ps: you bench is beautiful and the patina is great....hoping to get similar results.

Vaughn McMillan
12-23-2005, 2:32 AM
Great job, Jay. I really like the combination of materials, and the clean, simple lines. Although I really like seeing the more traditional furniture built by others here on the Creek, my personal tastes run a bit more towards the contemporary side of things, and this bench is indeed that.

Thanks for posting -

- Vaughn

Jay Knoll
12-23-2005, 8:01 AM
Marc, I look forward to seeing your bench! Interesting that we both used Sapele, I had never heard of it before but the new local "exotic wood" dealer said I wouldn't be disappointed, I got it for $3.75 a board foot.

Yes, I waited the full three weeks on the patina, I turned the bundles over each day to keep the liquid evenly distributed.

I used West System Epoxy to glue the copper to the bases, I roughed it up with 40 grit and wiped it down with Acetone before I glued them on. I had a bit of "pop off" on the edges of the copper when I was trimming the adjacent edges, the first time was the worst because I hadn't thought to use a backer board. But even with the backer board I had a few other occurences. I injected CYA in those areas, put a piece of wax paper on the copper and clamped in place. Everything stayed tight.

Jay

Jay Knoll
12-23-2005, 8:02 AM
Marc, I look forward to seeing your bench! Interesting that we both used Sapele, I had never heard of it before but the new local "exotic wood" dealer said I wouldn't be disappointed, I got it for $3.75 a board foot.

Yes, I waited the full three weeks on the patina, I turned the bundles over each day to keep the liquid evenly distributed.

I used West System Epoxy to glue the copper to the bases, I roughed it up with 40 grit and wiped it down with Acetone before I glued them on. I had a bit of "pop off" on the edges of the copper when I was trimming the adjacent edges, the first time was the worst because I hadn't thought to use a backer board. But even with the backer board I had a few other occurences. I injected CYA in those areas, put a piece of wax paper on the copper and clamped in place. Everything stayed tight.

Jay

Jay Knoll
12-23-2005, 8:02 AM

Jay

Jay Knoll
12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Sorry for the multiple posts everyone, guess it is the result of the screen freeze that someone mentioned in the support forum. The same thing happened to me and I thought I had made a mistake in posting so I kept trying! Looks like it worked! :D

Jay

Jim Becker
12-23-2005, 5:27 PM
I'm with David, Jay...outstanding!

Chris Padilla
12-23-2005, 9:41 PM
We need more smilies...especially a "thumb up" one! :) If I contribute a few more dollars can we get some more smilies?? ;)