PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Justify a Nova Drill Press...

jeff norris 2011
02-25-2020, 4:27 PM
I find it hard to get excited about a drill press, but the Nova presses are just beyond cool. I would love to get one, but no way can I justify it.

I have a very solid, Delta Floor Press that I have had for years. It works well and I have to admit gets pretty limited use. I figure I run the motor less than 10hrs a year as I tackle mortises with a router and I don't really have that much call for drilling prefect holes. If you figure each hole take 20 seconds - 10hrs of drilling is 25 holes a month - I doubt I even do that. :mad:

So how in the world do I justify buying a replacement for tool that works well and I barely use???

Tom Dixon
02-25-2020, 5:28 PM
You can't. This is a case where if you want it buy it. Don't try to justify it.

I love my Nova Voyager. I sold my old drill press before moving and got 75% of what I paid for it. When it was time to shop for a new DP my criteria was variable speed. The Voyager excels in that department. So much so that for every bit I use there are variations in speed that take a fraction of a second to set. That was a game changer for me.

nicholas mitchell
02-25-2020, 5:36 PM
You want it, buy it. Simple.

Andrew More
02-25-2020, 6:24 PM
Maybe if you could figure out why you're so excited to buy it, you might find your justification. Personally when I get super excited about buying something, but don't know the reason, I'll wait a bit. Maybe in a few months I'll still want whatever it is, but at least you won't be making a several grand "impulse" buy. However, I usually find that I can't even remember why I was so excited about something in the first place.

So maybe setup a reminder or something and come back to it in a few months.

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2020, 6:51 PM
My old conventional drill press had three stepped pulleys and two belts. Changing speeds was a big hassle, so it often didn’t happen. I’d be running little drills sloooowly, and big forstner bits so fast they heated up and lost their tempering. Speed changing with a knob is so much better!!

Jim Becker
02-25-2020, 7:15 PM
You want it, buy it. Simple.

Ditto. There's no way that anyone else can provide "you" justification for a purchase... ;) BTW, you need one. :D :D :D

Larry Frank
02-25-2020, 7:39 PM
I love mine for the speed control, 6" stroke and very low run out. I smile every time I use it.

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2020, 8:40 PM
Easy peasy.
You want one? You got the money? Will spending the money deprive your family?
If the answers are `yes`, `yes` and `no`, place your order tomorrow.
:) :) :)

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2020, 8:58 PM
Jeff, if tis is for a hobby I have the ultimate justification.

You want it, so go buy it.

If it's for a business it requires a cost/benefit analysis.

Hopefully this is a hobby purchase.

Enjoy your new drill press........Rod

Bruce Mack
02-26-2020, 8:26 AM
I have seen the videos and I wanted the Nova, too. Here's help I think. Try to fall in love with the Delta again. If the chuck feels gummy and does not turn easily by hand, knock it out along with spindle adapter and flush it with WD-40. Relube with light oil and reset it, squaring it absolutely to the table and eliminating as much wobble as you can by resetting the taper again and again until the measured run out at the tip of the calibration blank is negligible. Then remove those inadequate lock knobs that tension the motor and the belts and replace them with the appropriate hex head bolts (mine were metric). Gentle use of a spare ratchet kept by the drill press will set the motor like never before and your hands will thank you. Drill a few holes with what is now your​ drill press. You won't want or need the Nova for a while.

Alex Zeller
02-26-2020, 8:39 AM
My wife hoards shoes and I hoard tools. Each accepts this in each other. I always have the next piece of major equipment I want to add or upgrade. I don't try to justify it. When I have the money I will pull the trigger. I do wait for a sale as most of the hobbyist brands have a 10% off sale throughout the year. I'm not much of a wheeler dealer so I don't try to maximize what I can get for stuff I'm selling. even still the market for used equipment in good shape is pretty good as long as you don't ask retail price.

jeff norris 2011
02-26-2020, 1:04 PM
Lots of interesting replies. I am not pulling the trigger right now, but I am sure it will make its way home when the time is right

H. Gregory Porter
02-27-2020, 8:50 AM
Good decision. The question I always ask is “What other tools do I need / want that I cannot get now by choosing this purchase?”.

Bill Dufour
02-27-2020, 9:35 AM
Put a three phase motor and vfd on your existing DP. I do like the 6" stroke on my walker turner 20" DP.
I see nothing about the nova my 70 year old DP does not have with it's VFD. The lifting rack looks flimsy to me. and I see no bearing to help it rotate with the table.
If you buy any old Dp with a factory mounted 3 phase motor you will get a decent quality tool and pay less then for a single phase one.
Bil lD.

John K Jordan
02-27-2020, 10:29 AM
I find it hard to get excited about a drill press, but the Nova presses are just beyond cool. I would love to get one, but no way can I justify it.

I have a very solid, Delta Floor Press that I have had for years. It works well and I have to admit gets pretty limited use. I figure I run the motor less than 10hrs a year as I tackle mortises with a router and I don't really have that much call for drilling prefect holes. If you figure each hole take 20 seconds - 10hrs of drilling is 25 holes a month - I doubt I even do that. :mad:

So how in the world do I justify buying a replacement for tool that works well and I barely use???

I don't know if this was mentioned, but one thing to consider is how much it might cost to repair if the electronics quit working after the warranty expires.

JKJ

jeff norris 2011
02-27-2020, 1:50 PM
Good decision. The question I always ask is “What other tools do I need / want that I cannot get now by choosing this purchase?”.

I know it is pretty much blasphemy, but I am actually pretty much good for tools. :eek:

I have the quality/size/quantity of all the tools I need right now. I would rather be buying more wood.

Zachary Hoyt
02-27-2020, 1:51 PM
I like the 3 pulley/2 belt system; I can change to any of the 16 speeds in well under a minute and the one I use has been maintenance free for 17 years now.
Zach

Billy Merrill
02-27-2020, 4:35 PM
You can get the workbench top model of the Nova if that would work for you at a considerable savings.

Mike Wilkins
02-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Since you already have a decent drill press and you are OK with it, save the coin for some really nice lumber for the ultimate project.
On the other hand, my decision to get a Nova was driven by my old drill press, a 70's era Rockwell drill press with 4 pulley adjusted speeds, and no crank for the table height adjustment. Loosen a bolt and muscle the table and auxiliary table up or down. A real pain in the biceps.
A Nova will help you select the proper speed for the job at hand, 6" quill travel, and most appreciated, a crank to adjust the table height.
You will get over the price after using it a few times.

Derek Cohen
02-28-2020, 3:27 AM
You know, if we all were content to use a contractor table saw, few here would be using expensive and sophisticated sliders.

Got a hollow mortice machine? Why not a Jet instead of that Wysong or Wadkins? Hey, I use a router or mortice chisel. :)

I did purchase a Nova Voyager near the end of last year. It replaced a 25 year old Taiwanese pillar drill. The old machine did the job, but barely. But did the job. Now I can set the correct speed and not run the risk of burning bits, set a depth control precisely ... precisely! And 6" depth of drilling. That is awesome! The Nova can be set for repetitive drilling. I love the power and effortlessness of this through hard wood (and I work with very hard wood). The construction is strong enough to also act as a spindle sander (I have an idea to build a beaut when the current project is done).

And it is cool looking (most important of all) :)

https://i.postimg.cc/vZH3McVG/DP12a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Larry Edgerton
02-28-2020, 7:23 AM
Put a three phase motor and vfd on your existing DP. I do like the 6" stroke on my walker turner 20" DP.
I see nothing about the nova my 70 year old DP does not have with it's VFD. The lifting rack looks flimsy to me. and I see no bearing to help it rotate with the table.
If you buy any old Dp with a factory mounted 3 phase motor you will get a decent quality tool and pay less then for a single phase one.
Bil lD.

I have $1156 in my very clean used Clausing with a real table/elevator, 2 speed, Reeves drive, driven with a VFD so I don't have to start the phase converter to drill a hole. Would not trade it for 10 Novas, because it does everything better. Weighs 800 pounds, and when I am done using it it will be worth every penny I have in it if not more.

andy bessette
02-28-2020, 8:28 PM
I wouldn't buy one at half the price. Instead I have a medium size Rockwell, that normally runs at moderately high speed, and a large Delta, that normally runs at its lowest speed.

Tom Bender
02-29-2020, 8:19 AM
Derek
Given all the beautiful work you do you really deserve a few more square feet. Not having to roll them out would be a much bigger upgrade than better machines.

Derek Cohen
02-29-2020, 8:47 AM
Thank you Tom. May I use you as a reference when appealing to the Commissioner of Taxation? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Arita
02-29-2020, 10:11 AM
My DP is the most used machine in my garage shop. Seems every hobby I have, involves using the DP. I've had several DPs, finally working my way up to a very large, electronic variable speed drill/mill. If I were purchasing today, I'd get the DP you're looking at. Electronic variable speed, low runout and long spindle travel are the key factors that would make my decision and I think this machine has them all. It's amazing how much better experience I have when using a great DP, as opposed to one that makes do.

John K Jordan
02-29-2020, 10:59 AM
My DP is the most used machine in my garage shop. ...

That may well be the key point that drives a decision.

Everyone works differently and often do vastly different things. For example, the lathe and bandsaw are the most used tools in my shop so they are the best I can afford.

I have two drill presses, one for wood and one for metals in my little weld/fab shop, plus a variable speed mill and a mill-drill. My two belt-change Delta drill presses are perfect for most of what I do. The milling machine is there if I need more. Someone with different uses will choose differently.

JKJ

Andy D Jones
02-29-2020, 5:26 PM
There are some tools that are just a joy to use. My Nova Voyager is one of those tools, for me.

The reason we have hobbies is for the joy of it, so do what brings you joy. If the $ would bring more joy elsewhere, then spend your $ elsewhere.

Andy - Arlington TX

Bruce Mack
02-29-2020, 8:27 PM
Today the local Rockler store had the Voyager at $1299 with the placard reading limited to stock on premises. The drill press bearing the placard looked shopworn, slight rust on the column gearing. I fled without ascertaining if the sale included NIB stock.

Bill Dufour
02-29-2020, 10:13 PM
Opps! I assumed the op was in USA. I now recommend buy the nova since it is probably very hard to find any good old cast iron DP's Australia. Is three phase power common in Australasia to regular city houses and farms?
My nephew lived in NZ for a few years so I understand shipping will be a deal killer for most stuff. The US post office is only airmail to NZ no slower cheaper methods by the post office.
Bill D