PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the new Grizzly 8" jointer

Terre Hooks
12-22-2005, 7:04 PM
Has anyone seen or heard about the new 8" Grizzly jointer?

Richard Wolf
12-22-2005, 7:22 PM
Uh oh!!

Richard

Jim Dunn
12-22-2005, 7:35 PM
ROLF Rich!! I just spit out a whole mouth full of milk on my desk.

Jeff Watson
12-22-2005, 7:40 PM
I wish I could have seen all the replies to the tread I started the other day concerning the new 8" machine coming from the green and white company out of Washington. Oh well.

Dan Forman
12-22-2005, 8:03 PM
Terry, just so you know, they are referring to this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=28029

Dan

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 9:33 PM
A test of the SMC code of civility, that is.

Can we discuss this new and intriguing machine and keep the thread alive while doing so?

Should you accept this mission and achieve failure, we'll never know.....

The challenge is yours.

Dev Emch
12-22-2005, 9:43 PM
Would it be legal for me to repost my composit picture of all the DJ-20 jointers together?

Rick Shelton
12-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Would it be legal for me to repost my composit picture of all the DJ-20 jointers together?

If it isn't, then this forum has lost all usefulness, IMHO.

Lighten up, guys.:p

Jim Becker
12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Folks, the reason that the original thread is in "limbo" is because there were some "strong comments" that just plain made the conversation "not fun" any more. I do not believe that Dev's pictures were any kind of problem since they merely represent several machines that are out there on the market.

Please remember that we welcome anyone at SMC with an interest in woodworking and that includes folks from manufacturers and vendors who respond thoughtfully to questions and/or post information about their own woodworking projects. There is a difference between that and "marketing" or "advertisement"...

If there is ever a question about the legitimacy of a particular post, just click the little red triangle with an exclamation point at the top of the post and report your concerns. The moderator(s) of the forum containing the thread/post will get an immediate email which they will consider once they actually see it. And do keep in mind that the moderators are volunteers and do not sit at their computers 24/7.
--------

Now back to the question at hand!

Gary Whitt
12-23-2005, 7:40 AM
A woodworking friend of mine has the Griz 8" jointer.
He loves it and said it was the best 8" out there.

Me, I just have a 6" Jet.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 7:42 AM
there is a photo of this machine in the new issue of woodshop news.

Alan Henderson
12-23-2005, 8:09 AM
Is the Jet because of your shop size or the size of wood you work with?:confused:

Alan Henderson
12-23-2005, 8:11 AM
I have the G0500 and it is a good one. Have made no adjustments in a year of use, other than raising or lowering the infeed.

BTW, you spelled your first name wrong.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 8:15 AM
BTW, you spelled your first name wrong.

no my folks did years ago now it`s normal for me:)

Alan Henderson
12-23-2005, 8:18 AM
Sorry...I was talking to that Terr(e) guy.

Terre Hooks
12-23-2005, 9:25 AM
Same answer as Tod(d).

Scott Coffelt
12-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Here is a pic of the G0490. What I was able to gleem fromt he conversation before it went missing was 3HP motor, 4 blade cutter head, 220v only, available sometime in early 2006 (February)... but please be aware that dates can slip, Intro priced at $750 plus $85 shipping, built in mobile base, emmm I think that is all I know at this point and now I am waiting for the new 2006 calendar which is due to begin shipping soon.

Shiraz Balolia
12-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I wish I could have seen all the replies to the tread I started the other day concerning the new 8" machine coming from the green and white company out of Washington. Oh well.

The administrators of this site put the thread back on after "sanitizing" it. It is on the fourth of fifth page.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 10:35 AM
dev, after reviewing the "sanitized" thread shiraz mentioned it seems as though placing photos of machines side by side for comparison is not acceptable ???? .02 tod

Admin - Side by side photos of tools are certainly acceptable - KWO

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 10:41 AM
dev, after reviewing the "sanitized" thread shiraz mentioned it seems as though placing photos of machines side by side for comparison is not acceptable ???? .02 tod

Well I guess that rules out brick and mortar tool stores too.

Rob Bourgeois
12-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Dev could you post or PM me which ones you think are exactly the same. I dont quite get why this would cause the thread to get cut or why pictures on the internet cant be posted.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Well I guess that rules out brick and mortar tool stores too.

i have never seen a griz tool displayed along side others, only in their showroom, never in a private vendor setting..02 tod

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2005, 11:50 AM
i have never seen a griz tool displayed along side others, only in their showroom, never in a private vendor setting..02 tod

Yeah, I know. But I was thinking about all those other tool makers. Guess it also precludes woodworking trade shows too! Dang, lawyers.

tod evans
12-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I know. But I was thinking about all those other tool makers. Guess it also precludes woodworking trade shows too! Dang, lawyers.

we shall rely on magizine adds to make informed decisions regarding tool purchases....02 tod

Dev Emch
12-23-2005, 12:51 PM
O.K. Now my head hurts. Did Shiraz say it was not allowed? Where did he say that? I cannot find any new posts and this is confusing as to what caused the flurry of successive posts. I did check the old thread that was put back on based on Shiraz's suggestions. It was cleaned up and its now listed as closed. But the pictures are still there.

So I need a question answered here. Are we not allowed to do comparative shopping online in our forum? If I am not allowed to compare the machines side by side which is what consumers do, then why should they be allowed to sit next to other machines in my shop?

Admin - This thread was removed/edited and then restored. The reasons had nothing to do with anyone comparing photos or equipment specs. KWO

tod evans
12-23-2005, 12:59 PM
earlier this morning when i stated
there where no pics left in the thread? i`m confused?? not the first time:)

nic obie
12-23-2005, 1:42 PM
Be daring Dev. Take a chance and repost your pics. :D

It's not like you will get shot if you do. ;)

Brian Austin
12-23-2005, 2:06 PM
Guys, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Nothing wrong with comparative analysis. Nothing wrong with posting pics (within the ToS). I'm not speaking for anyone here but making my own conclusions based on the Terms of Service and postings made by moderators/administrators.

Just be nice, civil and factual or anecedotal in your posts. That's all. If you KNOW you're not necessarily giving facts or your own personal experience, don't post it. Don't get personal with any debate. If you feel your blood pressure going up, walk away from the computer and go kick your cat or something.

Dev Emch
12-23-2005, 3:15 PM
Hey! That would be a PETA and SPCA violation. By the way, my posts are back and they are back a few pages. Knock yourself out.

Gary Whitt
12-23-2005, 4:57 PM
Is the Jet because of your shop size or the size of wood you work with?:confused:
I have an outhouse-size shop (12x12).

I'd love to park a Griz 8" jointer (depending on which one is better) in there.

But then, I wouldn't have room to change my mind in there.:rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 2:29 PM
You must have a two-hole outhouse---mine is a single

Ah...a perfect candidate for a combo machine that includes indoor plumbing!