PDA

View Full Version : Correcting a Bow on MDF door

mike waters
02-22-2020, 9:15 PM
Got a problem:
MDF door, teak veneer. It is grain matched to 3 doors on it's right.
I have to straighten this bow in it, it's pretty bad.
it's 45cm wide and 86cm tall

Hafele makes a "straightener" system (planofit), but it looks pretty complex and involves a router, etc (which I have, but still...)

Is there anything easier I could do?

2 thick steel bars on the back with 2 holes ontop and 2 on the bottom?
Bowed Cleat?

The issue is that it is for a trash pullout and rev-a-shelf is attached to the backside

Mel Fulks
02-22-2020, 10:10 PM
Not saying this will work. This is what I would try. Cut slots in the back ,fill , apply veneer

Jamie Buxton
02-22-2020, 10:24 PM
So really you can do anything you want to the back of the door. I've used wooden cleats in that situation. Straight ones, or bowed ones if that what it takes. After you get the shape figured out, you probably have to glue them on to the door; screws can pull out of MDF.

Jamie Buxton
02-22-2020, 10:30 PM
Why do you think the door is bowing? You say there's a trash can on the back side. Maybe water from the trash can is getting to the door?

Do you have an EMC meter? It would be interesting to see if the humidity level of the door is different on the front and the back.

Richard Coers
02-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Just curious, did you veneer the back when you built it? Or a purchased piece?

Doug Garson
02-22-2020, 11:35 PM
You don't say which way it is bowed. Is it bowed out viewing from the front or in? Is the bow vertical or horizontal? Picture would help.

John TenEyck
02-23-2020, 10:32 AM
Why do you think the door is bowing? You say there's a trash can on the back side. Maybe water from the trash can is getting to the door?

Do you have an EMC meter? It would be interesting to see if the humidity level of the door is different on the front and the back.

This ^. If the door was flat when new there must be a moisture imbalance now. The problem isn't likely to go away until that imbalance is resolved.

John

johnny means
02-23-2020, 4:36 PM
I would just "peel" it and remake the door. You could easily end up wasting a lot of time and buying questionable doodads, just to end up with work that looks like hack work.