PDA

View Full Version : Computer issue solved....

Chuck Wintle
02-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Had the issue where my computer would stop working after 15-30 minutes. I looked and checked everything I could think of...without success. For fun I opened the case and found layers of dust all around the cpu heat sink. It had been a few years since i last checked. So much dust....it was hard to believe the environment is so dusty!:D

John K Jordan
02-22-2020, 11:15 AM
Had the issue where my computer would stop working after 15-30 minutes. I looked and checked everything I could think of...without success. For fun I opened the case and found layers of dust all around the cpu heat sink. It had been a few years since i last checked. So much dust....it was hard to believe the environment is so dusty!:D

Do you have a CPU temperature monitor program? There are many, one could alert you to the need to clean.

Laptop or desktop? Last week I had the Dell on-site service guy come and replace some components in this Precision 7510 laptop and he found more dust around the fans than I had expected. Fortunately, the it didn't affect the heat sinks on the processors. I downloaded a temperature monitor program to keep an eye on things.

JKJ

Chuck Wintle
02-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Do you have a CPU temperature monitor program? There are many, one could alert you to the need to clean.

Laptop or desktop? Last week I had the Dell on-site service guy come and replace some components in this Precision 7510 laptop and he found more dust around the fans than I had expected. Fortunately, the it didn't affect the heat sinks on the processors. I downloaded a temperature monitor program to keep an eye on things.

JKJ

It is a desktop which up until a few days ago had clunked along without any problem. Then it would stop working after 15-30minutes with no indication the CPU was getting hot. I now have a cpu temp monitor in place.