PDA

View Full Version : which dowel jig

Stephen Sebed
07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Which dowel jig do you recommend? I have only found 1 in town and it was made of plastic.

Thanks

Lincoln Myers
07-09-2003, 12:15 PM
I got one of these jigs a few years back and it has served me well when needed. Very solidly built.

I do find myself reaching for my Kreg2000 more nowadays though, depending on the application of course.

http://www.task-usa.com/task-d.htm

Christian Aufreiter
07-09-2003, 2:44 PM
I'm thinking about getting a router and want to use it for doweling. One option might be the Festool VS 600 but I'll probably build my own jig.
I'd use plexiglass, add a fence and drill holes each 32 mm away from the next one (useful for Euro style cabinets).

Currently I use this Wolfcraft jig:
http://www.wolfcraft.de/wpix/produkte/workarea/supplier/sWolfcraft/documents/200/3750000.jpg

You might like to check out the Mafell DD40 Duo-Dowel System

http://www.mafell.com/images/produktbilder/dd40.jpg

Mafell website (http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_bohren_fr.htm)

Regards,

Christian

Doug Littlejohn
07-09-2003, 3:07 PM
While I have yet to try it out, I have read on many boards that the old Stanley #59 (I thinks that's the #) jig is still considered to be one of the best. Im recently bought one off ebay but as I said, I have yet to try it.

I have one of them plastic types, junk is all it is. I also have one like Lincoln posted made by Marples.

It sure seems like it works great. My 02., YMMV

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-09-2003, 7:17 PM
I've got a 'Dowel-it' jig, and I can't imagine one being better. It was a bit spendy when I bought it (10-12 years ago), but I think they've come down since then.

KC

Mike Evertsen
07-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Which dowel jig do you recommend? I have only found 1 in town and it was made of plastic.

Thanks

I had the plastic one many years ago worked good easy to use,,but like many I use pocket holes or biscuits or mortis & tennons,,I think I saw it last year whn I moved my shop it went out with other stuff I didn't need,,,

Stephen Sebed
07-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Which method produces a stronger joint; pocket holes or dowels?

thanks again

Glenn Clabo
07-10-2003, 6:36 AM

thanks again

Stephen,
I haven't used dowels in so long...I didn't even think they made the gigs anymore. I do remember they were not fun.

I use the Kreg system now. Without a doubt faster/stronger. However they do leave something to be desired if put in places that can be seen. If I'm looking for alignment I use biscuits.

Jim Becker
07-10-2003, 9:02 AM

The answer depends on the type of joint you are making and the stresses that it will be placed under. Although dowels are still used in a lot of commercial furniture as they make for easy automation, most of us in the "woodworking shop" have moved to other methods, such as biscuits, pocket screws, traditional M&T and "loose tenon" M&T, including Beadloc. M&T can be the strongest due to the great amount of gluing area, especially when one side of the joint is endgrain and when the proportions of the joint components are designed correctly. Biscuits are great for alignment of sidegrain joints, such as table tops and do add strength to the joints. Pocket screws are the "best thing since sliced bread" for face frames for both strength and speed of assembly. (Self-clamping) If I had to choose between pocket screws and dowels, it would be the pocket screws in a heart-beat! They are much easier to use and offer great strength in most appropriate uses.

Stephen Sebed
07-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Well because cost is a big factor in my decision I think I will go with a dowel jig. also, I don't do a whole lot of woodworking so I can't justify getting the best(most expensive) tools. I went shopping again and found a 'dowel-it' jig for $40. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks

Ken Salisbury
07-11-2003, 5:06 AM
With the advances in glue technology and the use of other jointing techniques I find absolutely no need for a dowel jig. Don't get me wrong - I do have one -- an OLD Craftsman which has been in the cabinet in its original box for over 15 years -- UNUSED. Don't have one of those Kreg thingies either :D.

Mark Valsi
07-11-2003, 10:26 AM
For the life of me, I can't right now remember the name of what I used just 2 days ago ! Damn !

But it is the loose tenon system. There is a jig that allows you to drill into both pieces (one at a time) and then you connect the parts with a piece of wood that looks like three dowels siamesed together.

I made 20 joints in about a half hour and most of them came out 100% perfect.

I'll post a pic of the project when I'm finished.

Jim Becker
07-11-2003, 2:44 PM
For the life of me, I can't right now remember the name of what I used just 2 days ago ! Damn !

But it is the loose tenon system. There is a jig that allows you to drill into both pieces (one at a time) and then you connect the parts with a piece of wood that looks like three dowels siamesed together.

This is the Beadloc system and it works well. "Serious" users should invest in the special router bits to create the tenon stock, however, as being dependent on the company for this is both expensive and "risky" should they not do well in the future. The bits are expensive, but once you have them...you can make your tenon stock in whatever species you are working with for matching of movement characteristics