PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to J. Damon trade to NYY

Jerry Olexa
12-22-2005, 4:44 PM
Discussed a little in an earlier thread, but I'm still a bit shocked by this move. $ rules again and the front office must've been asleep. Since Theo left, they're a bit slow.
Damon was a great leadoff hitter and a vital part of the lineup . George continues to try to BUY a pennant but this hasn't worked the last few years...He needs starting pitching me thinks. The old loyalty is long gone. We now root for uniforms..What's your take??:confused:

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2005, 5:08 PM
Just one more reason to hate the Yankees.

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2005, 5:09 PM
Just one more reason to hate the Yankees.

Bob Johnson2
12-22-2005, 5:23 PM
Anyone want to buy a couple almost new J Damon tee shirts? My daughter has no idea what to do with them and didn't care for my big black "X" idea.

Ken Garlock
12-22-2005, 5:32 PM
Jerry, regardless what goes on in your neck of the woods, the Texas Rangers has you beat -- they just traded one of their starting pitchers for a several unknowns. The Rangers need pitching, and they just lowered their talent level with the trade of Chris Young. It is enough to make you want to take up watching the grass grow:D

Frank Pellow
12-22-2005, 5:35 PM
I kid you not that my first reaction was "What is a J Damon?".

Having read the thread, I gather that 'it 'is a 'he' and that the 'he' is a baseball player. But, you asked for our reactions and mine is that stated in the first paragraph.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2005, 6:56 PM
Jerry....I'm sure we'll see some tearful goodbye with him stating he's doing it for the game and the $52 million for 3 or was it 4 years!?:rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2005, 7:13 PM
Ken,

The Rangers may actually have improved their pitching. I happen to know a lot about Adam Eaton. He's young and has a lot of potential. His '05 strikeout-walk ratio was the best of his career after coming back from Tommy John Surgery, with a decent 4.27 era in 22 starts, Young was 4.26. There's reason to think that in the next year or two he'll be a good #1. As a Mariner fan I wish we'd gotten him. Hey, the Rangers can pick up Ryan Franklin, he's available now. Actually Eaton is from this area and I've met him a couple of times, but I really do think he'll do well for you. The Rangers are not being cheap, Eaton makes a lot more than Young.

Dave Dionne
12-22-2005, 7:14 PM
It was BIG time talk today at work. We miss Theo already, there is a general feeling that the front office has lost it's grip and other players are already starting to talk openly to the press about some front office people.
The best thing I can say is

At least we still have the Patriots :D

Lee DeRaud
12-22-2005, 7:59 PM
The best thing I can say is

At least we still have the Patriots :DYeah, I can imagine getting to play the Bills and Jets twice each year takes a lot of the stress out of football season...

Lee DeRaud
12-22-2005, 8:01 PM
Jerry, regardless what goes on in your neck of the woods, the Texas Rangers has you beat -- they just traded one of their starting pitchers for a several unknowns. The Rangers need pitching, and they just lowered their talent level with the trade of Chris Young. It is enough to make you want to take up watching the grass grow:DI thought that was the whole point of baseball.:rolleyes:

Tim Morton
12-22-2005, 8:39 PM
My gut told me that if "any" player had the ability to put the money second it would have been Johhny D....but I was wrong....and for that I say good ridance Johnny D. I don't think we are going to be be much worse off without him..he will be missed...but is replaceable...that being said...I am PO'd that the Sox didn't make a stronger offer in the wake of losing Theo and the probibilty that manny and david wells won't be there on opening day. Its hard to find much good to say about the front office these days. BUT we did steal away John Flaherty from the yanks to day in retaliation. a solid .165 hitting back up catcher....and I hear we are going after another third basemen...that'll be 3-4 3rd basemen and 3 catchers...but no SS or CF and maybe no LF....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Time for John Henry to step in and give Luchino's job to Theo....i say.

Ken Garlock
12-22-2005, 8:57 PM
Joe P., I surely hope you are right!

Now the Rangers need to fire those buffoons that announce the games on TV. They must be paid by the word because they can't shut up and just announce the game. I don't give a roaring rats rear if Joe Slobotnik's grandmother hit 600 in the over 90 league:mad:

Jerry Olexa
12-22-2005, 9:26 PM
My gut told me that if "any" player had the ability to put the money second it would have been Johhny D....
Its hard to find much good to say about the front office these days.
Time for John Henry to step in and give Luchino's job to Theo....i say.

Agree Tim. I didn't think Johnny D would bolt for money But he did...Understand the doors are open in the front office w dual mgrs. AND they really blew the negotiations w theo when he left. Out here in the frozen Midwest, we don't get the inside info. Anyway, they are in disarray. 2004 was a very good year . Can we get it back???Theo was a big part of the program IMHO.

Roger Myers
12-22-2005, 9:48 PM
Johnny "Who"?? :):)
He will be remembered like Roger Clemens was.... we are a vengeful lot here in Red Sox Nation...
Actually, I think the concern regarding injuries just made him too high a risk... Will make for even more interesting Sox and Yankee games...

Scott Coffelt
12-23-2005, 10:45 AM
He sold his sole as most in sports do. I am for free enterprise and getting the most you can, but seriously when they are getting paid as much as they do... a few mill one way or the other is silly. I see it all the time in the NFL where guys chase the money and never are heard from again... the list is long for WR's who left for the money and they rarely see catches.

I long for the days where your kids can grow up following a favorite player for their team. On the other side, some of these guys would more than be willing to finish out their career in the same uniform, but the opposite side holds true where the team says sorry we don't need you anymore regardless of how little we pay you.

baseball is so screwed up, I rarely go to a game anymore nor wath it on TV. It's clearly the haves and have nots these days.

Finally, JD has to cut his hair and shave, too bad I kind of liked the stand out look.

Joe Pelonio
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Ken,
I do agree with you on your announcers. My daughter is a big baseball fan and hopes to be a sportswriter, in fact she does the baseball and softball for her college newspaper here. Anyway, we always have to get the "MLB Extra" cable package so sometimes we watch the Rangers on that. I had to laugh when I found out that during the short time they were in 1st place the Ranger head office was answering the phone "AL West First Place Rangers". Now the Mariners are not without their wierdness lately,
you probably heard that Matt Lawton got busted and suspended for steroids and later the same day we signed him.

Jerry Olexa
12-23-2005, 1:04 PM
[quote=Scott Coffelt]He sold his sole as most in sports do. I am for free enterprise and getting the most you can, but seriously when they are getting paid as much as they do... a few mill one way or the other is silly. I see it all the time in the NFL where guys chase the money and never are heard from again... the list is long for WR's who left for the money and they rarely see catches.

I long for the days where your kids can grow up following a favorite player for their team. On the other side, some of these guys would more thlong for the days where your kids can grow up following a favorite player for their team. On the other side, some of these guys would more than be willing to finish out their career in the same uniform, but the opposite side holds true where the team says sorry we don't need you anymore regardless of how little we pay you.

Scott, Right on...Very well said. I esp like and mourn for your 2nd paragraph. Players are treated as prima donnas when they are producing and shuffled off quickly when they start to decline. I've seen QB's treated like dirt as they are discarded to a different team for one last year..There's no dignity or respect for the past performance/contribution...I even see this starting to happen subtly w Bret Favre (the Bears fans booed him a few weeks ago showing total lack of class)