PDA

View Full Version : Do Glidecote, Bladecote work?

Mark Daily
02-21-2020, 8:16 PM
I’m wondering if Glidecote (formerly Topcote) is better than wax for making tool tops slippery (such as table saw)?
Is it more durable or slippery?

Does Bladecote (formerly Dricote) actually provide any benefit when sprayed on cutting edges such as saw blades, drill bits, etc.? It’s supposed to make them cut cooler, stay sharp longer, stay cleaner, etc. but can you really see a difference?

At $25 a can it’s not cheap.

I recently saw Dynaglide plus online and wondered if anybody has used it? It looks like it does the same as Glidecote.

http://multimarketingco.com/dynaglide-plus/

sean meltvedt
02-21-2020, 8:19 PM
I cannot comment about Bladecote, but Glidecote is definitely noticeable on the jointer, particularly with 8/4 stock. Wouldn’t be without it.
cheers
Sean

Patrick Walsh
02-21-2020, 9:14 PM
Glidecoat is awesome love the stuff.

It totally works. It’s all I have ever out in my Martin jointer. I will say it does not seem to protect the tables as well from staining..

Dan Friedrichs
02-22-2020, 9:03 AM
I tried a can of Glidecote and didn't notice any difference (compared to paste wax or T9). Maybe I'm using it wrong...

Jack Lemley
02-22-2020, 9:09 AM
I have used both for years and they are helpful!

Jack

Frank Pratt
02-22-2020, 10:46 AM
I tried a can of Glidecote and didn't notice any difference (compared to paste wax or T9). Maybe I'm using it wrong...

That's my experience as well. The Glidecote is faster to apply, but also much more expensive. I'll use either it or paste wax, depending on my mood & how big a hurry I'm in.

Mark Daily
02-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Thanks everybody. I tried Glidecote back when it was Topcote on my table saw top and really wasn’t impressed.

Bladecote would be nice if it actually does what it claims.

Mark e Kessler
02-22-2020, 2:15 PM
I have used glidecoat but have found i get mor milage from Renaissance wax

Mark Daily
02-23-2020, 10:13 AM
I have used glidecoat but have found i get mor milage from Renaissance wax
Thanks Mark- appreciate the input!

Patrick Walsh
02-23-2020, 10:23 AM
Yes I wears off faster than wax.

But it retains the exact look to the casting from the factory kinda unlike wax. I appreciate this so the cost involved is worth it me.

Thanks Mark- appreciate the input!

Matt Day
02-23-2020, 10:25 AM
I use good old parrafin wax (Gulf Wax). Easy to apply and one box will last a lifetime (or close at least).

I rub the bar on the machine surface and follow with a rag to buff it on.

Mark e Kessler
02-23-2020, 10:56 AM
I don’t really notice a difference in the cast iron but I am not a connoisseur of cast iron, maybe regular ol’ wax has that effect. The one thing I don’t like about the spray is the fumes but I am a baby...

Yes I wears off faster than wax.

But it retains the exact look to the casting from the factory kinda unlike wax. I appreciate this so the cost involved is worth it me.

Mark e Kessler
02-23-2020, 10:59 AM
i did as well for at least 20 years until I started using the ren wax, much easier to apply and remove plus i believe the microcrystalline wax type offer more corrosion resistance.

mike stenson
02-23-2020, 11:01 AM
i did as well for at least 20 years until I started using the ren wax, much easier to apply and remove plus i believe the microcrystalline wax type offer more corrosion resistance.

The can of wax also lasts forever, and I use it on more than just tool surfaces.

Mark Daily
02-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Thanks Patrick, Matt, Mark and Mike!

Mark e Kessler
02-23-2020, 11:54 AM
yes, although the renwax appears to be expensive it last forever and I use it on everything, works great on keeping rust corrosion on chisels plus I love the smell of it

The can of wax also lasts forever, and I use it on more than just tool surfaces.